starter related ques

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
The other day I went to start the car ( 71 Mcode Mach )and it seemed like the starter and motor didnt sync correctly. There was just a noise without turning over the engine although its hard to describe. It started fine on the next crank. Something like this hasnt happened in the past.

Just wondering if this happens sometimes ( starter not fully engaging ) or is it a sign of impending starter failure or some other issue?

Thanks!

Sounds like the starter drive isn't engaging. I've found a few times with Ford starters dirt and grease build up inside the starter prevents the starter drive from moving to engage with the ring gear. If the steps @Hemikiller recommended don't help, you'll most likely need to pull the starter to inspect it, clean it, or replace it.

Some may suggest tapping on the starter with a hammer while the starter is still in the car. I don't recommend the BFH method.

Some may suggest tapping on the starter with a hammer while the starter is still in the car. I don't recommend the BFH method.
His steps included possibly replacing the starter. If you're potentially replacing it anyways, I dont feel bad at all giving it a couple love taps and maybe getting a couple more months out of it. :D

His steps included possibly replacing the starter. If you're potentially replacing it anyways, I dont feel bad at all giving it a couple love taps and maybe getting a couple more months out of it. :D

I rewrote it to be more clear. I'll rarely suggest replacing anything without doing some diagnosis. The parts cannon boys don't live at my house....

1689090723700.png

I havent checked under the car yet but since I have the starter relay on the fender I'm assuming that there is not one on the starter itself? Some mention offset so what is that referring to?
Would anyone happen to have a part number for starter motor for a 71 351c that I can refer to?

Thanks for the help!

If the starter spins when you turn the key to start, then the solenoid is working. You're correct, there is not one on the starter. The one on the inner fender energizes the starter and starter drive. Check rockauto.com for part numbers.

The starter for a 351C with an automatic is interchange # 3124. It's the same for all small block automatic applications of the era. It is what is often called the "automatic" starter and/or "3/4" offset" or "deep offset". The "shallow offset", "3/8" offset" or "manual" starter #3132 is *only* for 164th manual transmission applications. The offset reference comes from the position of the nose and drive gear.

1689179523778.png

I had this problem with one starter. It would spin very fast when not engaging. I would try again and then it was normal. As time went on, it would take more attempts to get a proper engagement. Some part inside needs to push the gear out. I finally bought a new (rebuilt) starter.

There are two situations you may want to look at, if you are hearing the starter spinning without the engine turning over, or the starter is making a grinding sound when it is spinning. If the starter gear assembly has a worn "over-running sprag" the starter will spin after the starter drive gear engages the torque converter Ring Gear. But, with worn Sprag Rollers in the starter drive the Armature Shaft will just spin with the Starter Gear will just sit there with maybe an occasional movement. The repair is to either disassemble the starter and replace the Starter Drive, or just replace the starter itself.

In the send case, once you remove the starter you can inspect the teeth of the torque converter's Ring Gear to see if there is any evidence of the teeth of the Ring Gear being damaged. Use a breaker bar with a socket on the engine's front vibration dampener to turn the engine during the Ring gear inspection to make certain you check the entire circumference of the Ring Gear. If there are damaged teeth, and you are getting grinding/tooth crashing sound when trying to start the engine, you will need to replace the torque converter, which will include a new Ring Gear. That entails pulling the transmission, so I really hope that is not your situation. That said, I have found more worn Starter Drive Sprag Rollers than damaged Ring Gears. In either case, if there is a problem it only gets worse if left unrepaired.

The prior posts in this thread offer some great suggestions also. And, many thanks to HemiKiller for the detailed 351C starter motor information. That is yet another tidbit he clarified that will make its way into my little library.

Back