starter solenoid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
According to the wire diagram the red wire and blue stripe connects to s terminal and red with green stripe is I terminal however with a new ignition switch adjusted properly and starter solenoid turn key and no crank over. Swithch the two wires and turn key just out of locked position to run and it cranks over before turning key to start position. The adjustment of the ignition switch was pull key back in acc position and push switch as far away as it could go then tighten nuts. Put a test light to pos cable and red and green wire with out it connected to the solenoid and it lit upin the of pos then turned key to run pos and test light turned off what coucould be the problem.

According to the wire diagram the red wire and blue stripe connects to s terminal and red with green stripe is I terminal however with a new ignition switch adjusted properly and starter solenoid turn key and no crank over. Swithch the two wires and turn key just out of locked position to run and it cranks over before turning key to start position. The adjustment of the ignition switch was pull key back in acc position and push switch as far away as it could go then tighten nuts. Put a test light to pos cable and red and green wire with out it connected to the solenoid and it lit upin the of pos then turned key to run pos and test light turned off what coucould be the problem.
Here is what I think, I tried going through the schematics and this isn't my strong area. It seems the red wire and blue stripe connects to s terminal and red with green stripe is I terminal is correct by the drawings and if you swap them like you mention when the switch is in the run position the starter would crank because the selenoid is energized when the key is in the run position when those wires are reversed.

I would look at the "start/neutral interlock and backup lamp switch". Pwr is routed to the selonoid when the car is in park or nuetral position when the ignition is in the start position. If this switch is not ajusted poperly the start selenoid is disabled. I am assuming you have an automatic tranny.

-jbojo

It is a 4 speed do they have any switches, I know there is supposed to be a rod that attaches the column and trans linkage and that is gone I don't know what that is for I also have a 1 wire alternator and no regulator box on the fender. I don't think that would do it. It starts with the red blue wire on I terminal and a jumper switch from positive to s terminal but I am sick of starting it that way

Put a test light to pos cable and red and green wire with out it connected to the solenoid and it lit upin the of pos then turned key to run pos and test light turned off what coucould be the problem.
The coil wire rests at ground. If you had the test light connected to the battery positive the light should illuminate when you check the red/ green wire in the off position and go off in the run and crank position because the coil wire goes to 12v positive. You just need to connect the test light to ground to test for power.

jbojo's pointing you in the right direction

At some point between the column and the solenoid the red/ blue wire is interrupted. Check for power at the firewall connector. The auto cars have a neutral safety switch, but I'm not familiar with how the manual cars are set up. I imagine there would be a clutch switch to interrupt the wire until the clutch is depressed like newer vehicles. I'll check the diagram later today.

At some point between the column and the solenoid the red/ blue wire is interrupted. Check for power at the firewall connector. The auto cars have a neutral safety switch, but I'm not familiar with how the manual cars are set up. I imagine there would be a clutch switch to interrupt the wire until the clutch is depressed like newer vehicles. I'll check the diagram later today.

I don't see a nuetral safety switch for the 4 sp tranny but I am not familiar with that either. You can check the continuity at pin 32 (R-LB) at the plug on the base of the steering column and the connection at the starter selenoid. This should let you know if you have an open somewhere.

-jbojo

Latest posts

Back