STOCK Cleveland Oil Pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. But you will have increased the engine's ouput and should consider a larger pan. A Moroso 7 quart will fit in the car without interference
I have a Moroso 7 quart on my 393C and it has stock dimensions aside from the sump portion. It fits with a Canton windage tray, but not with the MPG tray.

Stock pan was used as 6 Qt pan for Boss and HO just a different dip stick

I have a Moroso pan on it right now. It is leaking and my mechanic keeps telling me that he does not like aftermarket pans. I like my Moroso pan and the 7 qt capacity but he is very persistent about the "aftermarket" issue, regarding fitment issues.

His shop did a lot of work on my car but I did not give him the engine build. I had a guy out of state do it. The builder used an SCE Accuseal #152090 gasket. It is nitrile/butadiene.

The rear main seal cannot, until the pan is pulled, be ruled out as a cause/contributor of the leak. SCE #13605 rms was used during the build last summer. Most of the leaking is at the rear. It also looks to have a small leak at the timing cover, bottom bolt, which also holds on the timing pointer.

Last edited by a moderator:

In my experience, it is easy to seal any oil pan even if it isn't made perfectly to spec, however, it is a bit of an art . The only ones I had a prob with were ones that were chromed and I started sanding the sealing surfaces on those and they no longer leaked.

An intake manifold won't leak if you use a 1/4" thick bead of silicone in place of the end seals, therefore, there is no reason for an oil pan too if properly installed.

The Cometic rear main seal is one of the better ones.

I have a stock pan on my 408 with a windage tray added with no problems. It holds 6 quarts. Never leaked a drop. I did try an aftermarket one originally and had nothing but trouble with it. So I said F-it and cleaned and painted the original.

2ew2yao.png

2unx3xk.jpg

I have a stock pan on my 408 with a windage tray added with no problems. It holds 6 quarts. Never leaked a drop. I did try an aftermarket one originally and had nothing but trouble with it. So I said F-it and cleaned and painted the original.

2ew2yao.png

2unx3xk.jpg
Looks great Kevin. What aftermarket oil pan did you have On it? Do you remember what pan gasket you used and what windage tray you used, was it the Canton?

2ew2yao.png

2unx3xk.jpg
Looks great Kevin. What aftermarket Ray did you have On it? Do you remember what pan gasket you used and what windage tray you used, was it the Canton?
I cant remember what pan it was?? It was a knock off Moroso type. Not sure on the gaskets used because my engine builder got it and installed it. And the windage tray was a Canton.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!! LOL

The 6 quart stock pan should be plenty if your running a stock volume oil pump like I am.

2ew2yao.png

2unx3xk.jpg
Looks great Kevin. What aftermarket Ray did you have On it? Do you remember what pan gasket you used and what windage tray you used, was it the Canton?
I cant remember what pan it was?? It was a knock off Moroso type. Not sure on the gaskets used because my engine builder got it and installed it. And the windage tray was a Canton.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!! LOL

The 6 quart stock pan should be plenty if your running a stock volume oil pump like I am.
Yeah Kevin, not high pressure or high volume...just adjusted for about 25% more volume and bench tested to be 80-85 lbs. (high pressure pump would put out 110 lbs)

So now I gotta find a decent stock pan that I can recondition. I don't care whether I use my new Moroso pan or not, (although I like the look of the Moroso) just want the highest percentage chance that I can get of a no leaker and the stock pan also looks good. I don't "race," I just race around dropping kids off a soccer games. It's somewhat rare for me to tach above 6,000. (5-6k pretty common :whistling: )

Windage tray would address advantage of Moroso pan holding more oil at a greater distance away form the crank...

Anybody have a stock pan to sell????

Yeah I very seldom run mine above 6000 rpm. I have my rev limiter set at 6500 and I never hit it. I try to shift 5500-6000 and its still pulling HARD at 6000! My car gets used for lots of ice cream runs in the summer with the wife and kids. Then it usually gets shifted much earlier!! lollerz

Latest posts

Back