Stock radio install question..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Vert - 351c
I purchased my car with the radio missing.. I have an original AM radio and have a question about the cage..

Im not sure if the previous owner removed the original cage or if this is how its supposed to be..

Is this what its supposed to look like? if so how did the radio mount?

BeQYOUU.jpg

also the wiring.. parts of the wiring is cut.. I have the connectors still installed coming from the speaker and power connector on the radio. These are just straight connectors correct? ok to chop them off and splice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the bezel..

I dont see anything to mount the radio to.. so does it just float in the bay?

ahh ok, that makes sense..

Thanks Thomas.

and the wires.. ok to cut the connectors that are remaining and just splice the wires?

yup rear bracket is missing also doubles as the ground for the radio.

now you could install the radio without it, the bezel will hold the radio in place then you could run a jumper from the screw in the back to body ground.

the bracket isn't expensive though so might as well get it now.

now i would recommend, first installing the bracket on the radio, slide the radio into the dash so the bracket locks into that little lip nice and solid.

then holding the radio up slide the bezel over the radio into the dash. install 1 or 2 screws loosely to hold the bezel in place, then put the star washer onto the knob shaft and install the nut, you need a deep socket hex set.

leave the nuts a little loose for adjustment. and finish installing the 4 Phillips bezel screws make sure you get them in the clips correctly. tighten the 4 down .

now go back and tighten up the 2 nuts on the knob/ tuner posts.

then install the 2 finish chrome knobs.

it allows for some adjustment because if you tighten down the tuner knobs first when you go to ram the radio into the dash the clip always misses the lip and your fighting with the bezel getting things to line up.

putting the wire connector and the anntenna RCA jack in after is easy also you can reach behind the dash and plug them in when your done.

also before you start make sure you have good access to the Center Speaker under the dash and can get to the connector that wire can be a little short sometimes.

AM used the center dash speaker only up behind the dash top and dash pad.

AM/FM and 8 track used the door speakers only.

Excellent info!

Yea I dug the speaker wire out today..

I'll run to NPD tomorrow and see if they have the bracket.. Also need the star washers and nuts.

Excellent info!

Yea I dug the speaker wire out today..

I'll run to NPD tomorrow and see if they have the bracket.. Also need the star washers and nuts.
Wait!!! I am like so jealous, you can drive to NPD? Must be like Christmas morning walking in there.

NPD is about 10min away. :)

Nothing special when you walk in. Single long showcase counter with various parts displayed. The also have a 10th anniversary Trans Am beauty just inside.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

i went to mustangsunlimited once in CT

it was like walking into Homedepot for mustangs. i had a smile a mile wide.

i went to mustangsunlimited once in CT

it was like walking into Homedepot for mustangs. i had a smile a mile wide.
It was set up to walk through? Now that would be awesome.

i did, no customers on that day. was just me and a friend i just dropped my car off at a metal fabricator and made a list of parts and we headed over to MU

I didn't have a camera with me.

this was before they moved to the new location.

but the front was a small store front. with some performance parts on display and some dynacorn sheet metal.

then they let me and a friend go in the back because he was looking for trim pieces for a 68.

walked through the door and holy cow, monster warehouse, rows and rows of metal shelves just like home depot filled with parts and boxes.

I bought engine bay aprons.

they had crate motors all set in a row some were open and on stands.

It was really cool. they did have full dynacorn shells also siting on pallets. you could of seriously walked through the warehouse and put together a complete car minus finished paint.

That would be awesome to see..

Ran up there today.. Didn't have what I needed but Here's a few pictures.

tF2Efaa.jpg

sF4UwBZ.jpg

l3SMRBi.jpg

Back