Subframe Connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I have Global west sub frame connectors on my 72 fast back. I welded them in 15 years ago. They fit well and I noticed a substantial difference in chassis stiffness. They are not very noticeable when the car is not up in the air. Obviously not for a concourse restoration or an unrestored survivor car that is not driven much.

Ron

vozaday

I have welded sub frame connectors. The first thing suspension wise to be installed. Plus 1 for all responses. Take a Look at Eaton Detroit Springs. From what I have read on handling for mustangs, it is the spring rate. It is stated to keep the spring rate at factory specs and add better sway bars. With Eaton Detroit Springs, you can get the lowered specified spring and keep the factory spring rate for a better ride. Here is a snip-it shot of the Eaton Detroit Spring website.

Detroit Eaton standard

2gwuc20.jpg

Detroit Eaton Lowered

29p6qah.jpg

By the way, nice looking coupe too!!

Thanks,

mustang7173 :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
vozaday

I have welded sub frame connectors. The first thing suspension wise to be installed. Plus 1 for all responses. Take a Look at Eaton Detroit Springs. From what I have read on handling for mustangs, it is the spring rate. It is stated to keep the spring rate at factory specs and add better sway bars. With Eaton Detroit Springs, you can get the lowered specified spring and keep the factory spring rate for a better ride. Here is a snip-it shot of the Eaton Detroit Spring website.

Detroit Eaton standard

2gwuc20.jpg

Detroit Eaton Lowered

29p6qah.jpg

By the way, nice looking coupe too!!

Thanks,

mustang7173 :bravo:
You may want to also look at NPD for these springs. Same ones but cheaper and lower shipping. I went with the 1" DROP 138 rate springs. The other nice thing is you don't have a mid eye or the extra spring to get the same result.

Thanks for the input guys, I already put in some 600 coils, stock height and rate springs and an upgraded sway bar. If the ride is too stiff I can change it later but my car will just be used to bomb around town so not too worried about having too stiff of a ride. I am very happy with the height of the car right now. I'll update with some pics once I get that sway bar bushing that was missing (was scheduled to be delivered today but now delayed to tuesday). Then I will be getting the subframe connectors welded in. They are currently sitting in the corner of my shop. I will be able to test with the new suspension before and after the connectors to see if there is any difference, but my primary reason for the connectors was to not twist something if I hook up. I know I am not putting down a whole lot of power right now but in the future I may be.

I will be able to test with the new suspension before and after the connectors to see if there is any difference, but my primary reason for the connectors was to not twist something if I hook up. I know I am not putting down a whole lot of power right now but in the future I may be.
Oh, there will be a difference.

My 5.0 Fox body is a bone stock, 150K mile ball-less slug. My stock '04 Focus sedan would whoop it in a drag or autocross race, no kidding. The connectors, strut tower brace and redone (in chromoly tubing) X-brace made a huge difference in ride, handling and braking on the Fox.

It was little money and not too much time, very well spent.

Next time you're under an unmodified '71-73, jack it up by the front subframe near the transmission... check out how much just the floor flexes before the car even begins to come off its springs, let alone get a tire off of the ground...

It's rather shocking to see.

Back