Tachometer Lead wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys can anyone tell me what color wires are suppose to be going to the tach?? Mine was unhooked when I got it, but I have been running a msd tach adapter to make it work. But I want to make sure the 2 lead wires that use to go to the tach are wired together properly. My car had developed a miss last year and I was told that the ignition power ran through the tach leads. So I hoping its just a bad connection. I found a 2 plug connector under the dash with 2 black with blue stripes going to it. Is that the old tach lead??? I have been looking in my factory ford 1971 manual but cant seem to find a schematic??? Any help would be great, thanks.

Also if anyone needs a msd tach adapter let me know, I am removing mine and sending my tach to rocketman to get it converted to work with my msd box without the adapter.

Hey guys can anyone tell me what color wires are suppose to be going to the tach?? Mine was unhooked when I got it, but I have been running a msd tach adapter to make it work. But I want to make sure the 2 lead wires that use to go to the tach are wired together properly. My car had developed a miss last year and I was told that the ignition power ran through the tach leads. So I hoping its just a bad connection. I found a 2 plug connector under the dash with 2 black with blue stripes going to it. Is that the old tach lead??? I have been looking in my factory ford 1971 manual but cant seem to find a schematic??? Any help would be great, thanks.

Also if anyone needs a msd tach adapter let me know, I am removing mine and sending my tach to rocketman to get it converted to work with my msd box without the adapter.
Should be red/light green stripe.

-jbojo

Should be red/light green stripe.

-jbojo
Both wires are red/green stripe??

Look for a two prong molded bullet plug: one male, one female. Both wires are red/green. The female on the underdash harness is the input into the tach; the male is the output and is directly hooked to the coil.

Latest posts

Back