Tail light lens resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B229218

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 521 c.j.

I pulled apart the lenses and trying to figure out how to polish the sides with buffing wheel and got compound dug in the tiny raised edges! Anybody out there have ideas on liquid  polish that will not get stuck in the nooks?

I pulled apart the lenses and trying to figure out how to polish the sides with buffing wheel and got compound dug in the tiny raised edges! Anybody out there have ideas on liquid  polish that will not get stuck in the nooks?
If you're talking about the plastic, of all things you might not think of, you can try "brake fluid". It won't hurt the plastic, but it will remove any overspray paint etc., so it probably will remove the polish as well. Just don't get it on the body. If you're talking about the aluminum, then hot soapy water should do the trick and on the both plastic Wheel cleaner might be an alternative as well. Just do a small part to test first.

I will try brake fluid, thanks. The lights are out of the car so paint is safe.

Go get you a bottle of the the headlight polish. Get old tooth brushes and start polishing on the inside rough surface. On the outside just soft rags and the headlight polish. Here is something i put together on the tail lights. I do side markers and front parking lights also. Polishing plastic your buffing wheel has to go slow or melts the plastic. Variable speed drill works good.
I just use Dawn dish washing and hot water to wash them. NEVER use lacquer thinner or acetone will eat them up. Some info in the write up also.

DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0947.JPG

20200716_154600.jpg

View attachment Tail_Light_Black.docx

Back