Tail Panel - Dynacorn VS Goodmark VS ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Okay-

I think I have decided it would be better to replace my tail panel instead of repairing it.

I have the cheap Goodmark panel (not the extra thick one), and it seem OKAY - but with typical reproduction shortcomings like the channel for the weatherstripping isn't quite right, and the tail light brackets are a little wonky compared to what I have.

Do tell… Which reproduction tail panel is best?

Thanks for your time,

Peter

I used the Dynacorn as well, the only thing that I really don't like about it is that the holes for the honeycomb trim are not there but honestly, I don't know if they are on the other aftermarket tail panels either.

Tom

I believe the one I used was a Goodmark, but can't be sure.

Most important thing is to check that the taillight brackets are in the correct position and straight. Have seen a couple guys posting pics of brackets that were completely off kilter.

Thing that bothers me the most is all of the panels come pre-punched for the '73-only bumper filler. Not a huge issue to fill and grind, but another job that's a time waster if you're doing a 71-72. Holes are easy to make, much harder to remove.

Thing that bothers me the most is all of the panels come pre-punched for the '73-only bumper filler. Not a huge issue to fill and grind, but another job that's a time waster if you're doing a 71-72. Holes are easy to make, much harder to remove.
 Agreed, far easier to drill holes than fill 'em.

On my car, the only panel that is not original is the tail light panel. It wasn't rusted as such other than a few pin holes, but had been hit and damaged at some point. At the time, 2014, NPD offered two, one thicker than the other, so I got the thicker one of course. My body guy had no problem fitting it, but bitched about those useless holes that had to be filled. No idea who made that one, but now I see only one offered in the NPD catalog.

It is good to know that the tail light bracket placement is a problem, I'm going to test fit mine. Looks like at least one of the brackets will need to be moved a bit.

If I can muster up the courage I'm going to cut out the old tail panel today.

I used the Dynacorn as well, the only thing that I really don't like about it is that the holes for the honeycomb trim are not there but honestly, I don't know if they are on the other aftermarket tail panels either.

Tom
Well, I bought an NOS DZ3 tail light panel (these were the standard pieces offered for after sales service applications). They did not have the holes either. Why? B1 applications... had to drill out the holes, not something you want to do on an NOS piece. All worked out nicely in the end though...

Looking good, I remember doing mine and it was pretty nerve racking for me making the first cut to remove the old one. I had to also remove the rear cross member and truck pan for replacement as well because a PO had been hit or hit something in the rear and completely destroyed the panel and cross member. Good luck brother.

Tom

Got it tacked in up top.  Pulled the brace, put the extensions on and set the trunk lid in place. 

Looking A-ok so far…

A few more hours of welding and cleanup and this thing should be ready for more cleanup - then maybe some primer!

Probably have another couple hours of welding to do - but I fully engaged in rear valance battle. The repop was uneven - about 1/4" too long on the passenger side. I had a buddy who is pretty skilled with metal fold a new edge on the passenger side (took him about 10 minutes)… and after a couple hours of me fiddling around with other stuff it fits decent. Transferred the holes for the valance and I'm happy with the fit.

The deck lid looks like garbage inside. If you shake it rust flakes roll around. Luckily I got one off a different car at a self service wrecking yard about 10 years ago that is in excellent shape.

Back