Temporary cam?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be displaying my total ignorance on this subject, but I'm somewhat puzzled by why there seems to be a "thing" about the Comp Cams brand of cams. I say this because of the engine builders I have talked to about my own 351 C 4 V rebuild, do NOT recommend Comp Cams at all, citing them as "Chinese junk". I have no idea if they are or are not, but neither will use them, but ironically, one uses Comp Cams break in oil. I think what I'm after here, is a better understanding of what is and is not good for future reference should I ever decide to build an engine myself from the spare "parts" I have acquired......... or not.

As for what Wade wants to do, my response to that is "why bother". If it ain't broke, don't fix it sort of thing, but hurry up the 460 build if that's what he wants at the end of the day.

I'm not a big fan of Comp Cams either. They happened to have what he said he was looking for in an off the shelf cam. For 351C I lean towards custom Bullet, Lunati, and Crane. Comp Cams is sort of like Wal-Mart, omnipresent. Chuck

Weird about the comp cams problems, must have been bad heat treating or possible break in issues. All I know is mine has been in 8 years and is doing fine. I do use a bottle of their break in oil at every oil change though and it doesn't seem to hurt the cause with the extra zddp.

Back