The Great Debate - NOS, Restored or Reproduction?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today a friend and I have been messaging back-n-forth about a couple of posts I've made about restoring an original part or praising another member about how good their restored part looks, when a new or reproduction part might look fresher or less "weathered". Aside from the shear joy of making a used part look good, sometimes a brand new or NOS part just doesn't look right.

Specifically, he thought it was ridiculous that I commented on a pair of NOS hood locks were too nice for my convertible. He really, honestly laughed out loud and he enjoyed taking a couple of shots at me at my expense... all in good fun.

So, that evolved into a discussion about what I feel is a quirky part of this hobby. When is it appropriate or necessary to "keep" a used/refreshed/restored part and when must/should you replace a part with a nice NOS or reproduction piece. And, for discussion sake, I'm not talking about survivors, or uber rare part(s) or 1 of 1 cars with history and lineage. I'm talking about a nicely restored #2 car that is owned and driven by the majority of us.

For me, a moving part or one that is touched, turned, rubbed, handled, opened, pushed/pulled on, etc. is acceptable to have some age or patina as long as its clean, refreshed and functional. For instance, foot pedals, radio knobs, door handles, steering wheels, gas caps, wheels, hood locks & latches, etc. On the flip, there are parts that should not show wear & tear and look better as NOS or reproduction parts. For instance, under hood & dress-up parts, windshield trim, chrome/bright moldings, fender emblems, drip rails, bumpers, bumper guards, other bright work, etc.

And then there are the "main" components that are always in the mix like paint, carpet, upholstery seat & interior trim. After safety and mechanicals, I'll put money into these things. I'm curious what you guys think?
i am an original kinda guy. i wont even consider reproduction parts until there is no other option. i have had great success restoring most all of my parts myself. only reproduction parts on my car thus far is my fuel tank and upper A-arms. i even prefer to restore a given part instead of purchasing a nos item. i enjoy keeping the original parts on my car that it came with from the factory. using reproduction parts seems like the easy way out to me. anyone can do that, and requires zero skill. no sense of accomplishment in that route.

Then there are the parts that do not age gracefully:
I have lost count of the number of original 71-72 Mach 1 grilles that have literally crumbled in my hands. In most cases, this is probably due to prolonged exposure to the sun.

Someone earlier mentioned '32 Fords. As this post asks the question, Original or Reproduction, original '32 Ford bodies and frames are scarce and expensive, really expensive to bring back a rusty old bullet ridden hulk. "Glass bodies have been offered for a good many years, but for those who want steel, those are made too, and better that an original by Brookville Roadster. I've had a Model A, and a '34 , and a '39, and for a short time, a '40. I've always wanted a "Deuce", and I have a Hi-Po 289 squirreled away that would work real neat. I now work at The Blower Shop, and have dreams of doing a blown SBF. Maybe, someday....

Some parts are better with reconditioning than others, and in fact for alternators rebuilding them can result in using components to increase amperage capacity. Other parts that do not lend them selves to being rebuilt, I try to find NOS parts. Failing that I have no problem with a high quality reproduction part.

I pick the rules based on the car:
-Factory OEM concours for my 0F02R482510 factory drag pack Shelby.
-Any factory parts that were available even though not originally on my Marti report for my current 3F03F802920.
-Anything to make it go faster for my 2MEHM75V23X632278 Mercury Marauder.
And no, I don't like Chevy engines in Fords.

Back