Thermostat or temp sensor problem?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1. I am the second owner.
I went on a 120 mile cruise yesterday. The car did great but when I got close to home I saw the temp creeping up a bit but still safe. I was about 2 miles from the house and the gauge suddenly went to H. I pulled over and checked under the hood. There was no boiling over and the cap wasn't even warm. I got back in it and the temp was back to normal after 2 minutes. On the way home it did it twice more. I just pulled over turned it off for a minute or two and it would go back safely into normal on M in Temp.

Would this be the thermostat, sensor or gauge? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Any chance you were making an extended or several left turns which would leave the sensor out of fluid if you were shy on coolant?

Any chance you were making an extended or several left turns which would leave the sensor out of fluid if you were shy on coolant?
I had just topped off the fluid before I went on the run and checked it afterwards, still full. I will be replacing the sensor this weekend. It could very well be the original one. It has been in there a long time.

The replacement sensors are notorious for causing the gauge to read incorrectly, usually high. Chuck

Back