Thinking of buying this 429 Super Cobra Jet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '71 429CJ-R got 6.6 MPG the last time I checked. Gotta love it. lol Not a daily driver by any stretch of the imagination, so it isn't really an issue. This engine has a Holley double pumper carb rather than the stock Rochester which was originally used by Ford for emissions purposes. Also has a Comp Cams Magnum 270H cam (very lumpy idle), long tube headers, MSD ignition, trans is 4 speed Top Loader, rear is the 3.50 Traction Lok. The carb and the cam probably contribute to a 1 to 2 MPG loss over the stock engine. That 6.6 MPG is with me mostly rumbling around town and not getting on it too much. I'm 54 and my street racing days are in the past. Thin Lizzy, so you're the guy with the Lotus Esprit? I was trying to remember who I saw post that at one time. I recently bought an '85 Ferrari Mondial QV Cab, and I wondered if anyone else had the US musclecar / European mid-engined car thing going.

6.6mpg is off the scale!  I couldn't afford that.  Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I've got the Esprit Turbo.  So you also experience the colossal contrast between an old Mustang and a 1980s supercar.  They're chalk and cheese.

Here's my car: www.lotusespritturbo.com

I have a CJ-R and they are super-kewl, but not very street friendly on today's crappy gas.  Hydraulic cam yes, but still ping-happy 11:3:1 compression.  It drinks gas too. ::beer::   Still an awesome ride, no regrets.  Too bad your lead fell through, maybe another will come up.  The Boss 351's seem to be easy to find, the 429 cars....not so much! (at least in my experience)

Guys,

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, My Mach 1 is a 460 (80's truck motor, mild cam & head porting &, tuned holley carb) with 3:50 gear and a top loader. This past summer my lovely wife and I took it on a 5 hour each way trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY. I kept the speed between 65 to 80 mph with the tach between 3-4 grand and only accomplished 11 mpg. It didn't matter if I was going 65 or 80 it stayed the same. It reminds me of my tow truck days with an F350 & 460 weighing significantly more !!!

Oh well we don't have these cars for the mileage factor, but the pleasure factor, IMO !!!

Thanks, Jay

Latest posts

Back