This guy is rather full of it, but I like where he parks!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct year date code is very acceptable in resale. No it's not numbers matching, but if it were correct displacement, correct date code would not decrease value by much.

I wish I could park my car in my living room... :)
I thought my wife was gonna have a cow when I put my hood in the guest bedroom for a week!rofl

Just for a good laugh, and to see the fire fly from the wifes eyes, I parked my Kawasaki in the living room while she was gone for the day. To add to the display, I placed parts in random places throughout the living room, hallway, and bathroom. She did not find it amusing at all, and it did not take me near as long to get the stuff out as it did to put it in there. I still wish I had a picture of her face when she came through the door.

Correct year date code is very acceptable in resale. No it's not numbers matching, but if it were correct displacement, correct date code would not decrease value by much.
That it is, but it's an impossibility for the partial VIN on that block to match the VIN on the car. That's what I deem "numbers matching."

-Kurt

That it is, but it's an impossibility for the partial VIN on that block to match the VIN on the car. That's what I deem "numbers matching."

-Kurt
I don't see where the man said anything about numbers matching

TRUE 1973 F05 CODE MACH 1 -w/ '73 date coded 429 factory 4 bbl big block engine
Not to stir the pot or anything, and not saying the seller is lying about anything... but to the uneducated shopper, using that terminology could lead one to believe that this '73 Mach 1 might have indeed come with a 429 - which "we" all know is not true.

Keep in mind, that most "uneducated" shoppers still believe that:

• All '71-'73 Mustangs are "Mach 1s"
  • Ram Air hoods are "Mach 1" hoods (to quote Richard Rawlings)
  • Side stripes are "Mach 1" stripes (again to quote Richard Rawlings)
  • All 429s in Mustangs are Boss 429s
  • "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nick Cage was the original movie
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

Sneaky salesmanship... kinda like that guy who promised to build that skyscraper in Wichita Falls, TX - the blueprint showed the overall height of the building as 480" - the investors read it wrong and wound up with a 4-story building for only $200K (1919 money). ;)

TRUE 1973 F05 CODE MACH 1 -w/ '73 date coded 429 factory 4 bbl big block engine
Not to stir the pot or anything, and not saying the seller is lying about anything... but to the uneducated shopper, using that terminology could lead one to believe that this '73 Mach 1 might have indeed come with a 429 - which "we" all know is not true.

Keep in mind, that most "uneducated" shoppers still believe that:

• All '71-'73 Mustangs are "Mach 1s"
  • Ram Air hoods are "Mach 1" hoods (to quote Richard Rawlings)
  • Side stripes are "Mach 1" stripes (again to quote Richard Rawlings)
  • All 429s in Mustangs are Boss 429s
  • "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nick Cage was the original movie
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

Sneaky salesmanship... kinda like that guy who promised to build that skyscraper in Wichita Falls, TX - the blueprint showed the overall height of the building as 480" - the investors read it wrong and wound up with a 4-story building for only $200K (1919 money). ;)
All true. Just the other day a wrecker brought me a customer car and see's my vert "is that a mach 1?" he asked. I said "no its a convertible" he said "yeah I know but is it a mach 1?. I looked at him dead in the eye and said (in a clear authoritative tone) "NO IT IS NOT, IT IS A CONVERTIBLE! there were no mach1 verts ever built that I am aware of". he looks at me as if I were a complete idiot and then tells me he used to own a 72 shelby mach1 convertible. I just said "well there you go...I learn something new everyday".

The shims. Who knows what someone did to compensate on your car for the damage? Pulling the fender back into shape wasn't one of them, but shims were.

That's one of the reasons the '73 Grande fenders improved the fender lines that drastically.

-Kurt
Kurt shims were used on the assembly line of lots of late 60's early 70's cars.

Our cars are supposed have shims under the fender along the apron & on the lower rear..as shown in the assembly manual....The problems begin when some one changes out a fender & doesn't save or replace the shims..I found that problem on the green car..No shims..Big difference in the fit & finish when I installed the correct shims as per the assembly manual..same thing on the q-code..there's nothing wrong with shims as long as the unibody is square & checked prior to hanging your sheet metal. & you can document shim usage as per assembly line methods..It is not an excuse though for poor repair methods.

Kurt shims were used on the assembly line of lots of late 60's early 70's cars.

Our cars are supposed have shims under the fender along the apron & on the lower rear..as shown in the assembly manual....The problems begin when some one changes out a fender & doesn't save or replace the shims..I found that problem on the green car..No shims..Big difference in the fit & finish when I installed the correct shims as per the assembly manual..same thing on the q-code..there's nothing wrong with shims as long as the unibody is square & checked prior to hanging your sheet metal. & you can document shim usage as per assembly line methods..It is not an excuse though for poor repair methods.
Q, is that from the original shop manuals? If so, I'm going to shell out for a set right now.

-Kurt

Back