This is definitely rare...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up buying the car. No, it's not perfect but I've been looking to add either a 71 Boss or 429 to my collection for years and the combination of options, export status and price convinced me to pull the trigger. To be honest I didn't expect to win it as I thought it would go for more money. I was looking for something to drive and take to cruise nights so this fits the bill perfectly. Yes, the interior color change isn't ideal but if you've ever had a white interior you probably know why someone would do it. I've got a 72 convertible that i spend more time that I like to think about cleaning the interior.

Should be a fun car and the irony is that I live about 30 minutes from the Dearborn Assembly Plant.
Congratulations on the car. You don't know how close you came to me being your other bidder. I actually transferred money from retirement account to bank and was sitting there with finger on send waiting for the time to count down. I guess the no car buying drugs are working. I was surprised about the selling price. The prices on the higher end cars of all makes seems to be going down again based on auction prices and some I see on eBay.

I could not get any answers from the guy, tried for three days, and I did not need another project for sure, lol. It would look so much better with the white interior and yes I have two verts with white. Would be interested in seeing the Elite Marti when you get it to see if it actually left the country. The N.J. destination is just where they all went for export and I was told that the Elite Marti will tell the actual final dealer?

Is it true he got the car as payment for something owed him?

Congratulations on the car. You don't know how close you came to me being your other bidder. I actually transferred money from retirement account to bank and was sitting there with finger on send waiting for the time to count down. I guess the no car buying drugs are working. I was surprised about the selling price. The prices on the higher end cars of all makes seems to be going down again based on auction prices and some I see on eBay.

I could not get any answers from the guy, tried for three days, and I did not need another project for sure, lol. It would look so much better with the white interior and yes I have two verts with white. Would be interested in seeing the Elite Marti when you get it to see if it actually left the country. The N.J. destination is just where they all went for export and I was told that the Elite Marti will tell the actual final dealer?

Not sure on the back story. I'll be talking to him again today. I called him on the number listed and he answered all questions pretty quickly.

It's not a perfect car but to be honest I've had perfect cars and I much prefer drivers.

Unfortunately I won't see the car until December as I'm out of the country for business. Until then I'll have to settle for shipping the car to a local shop and facetiming. There are a few interesting features on this car that I want to take a closer look at. Take a look at the engine bay shot and tell me what is attached to the two vertical rods bolted to the radiator support on either side of the hood latch. VERY hard to see and you only see a portion of it.

I ended up buying the car. No, it's not perfect but I've been looking to add either a 71 Boss or 429 to my collection for years and the combination of options, export status and price convinced me to pull the trigger. To be honest I didn't expect to win it as I thought it would go for more money. I was looking for something to drive and take to cruise nights so this fits the bill perfectly. Yes, the interior color change isn't ideal but if you've ever had a white interior you probably know why someone would do it. I've got a 72 convertible that i spend more time that I like to think about cleaning the interior.

Should be a fun car and the irony is that I live about 30 minutes from the Dearborn Assembly Plant.
Congratulations, and welcome to the site! ::thumb::

Can't wait to see more pictures, hear about your experience in getting this car, and sharing information that will surely help expand our Wiki section and hopefully help your get and keep the car happy for the long term.

My old boss was on flight crew of the B-52 bomber. They flew an officers car from England to Texas in the bomb bay one trip.
I just can't purchase that one...

Buff's weren't designed to carry cargo, just various bomb racks. There's no floor at all in the bomb bay so a rack to hold the car would have had to be engineered. At only 6 feet wide, the bomb bay isn't wide enough but for the smallest of cars. They may have snuck a car home on a cargo plane, but it weren't on no Buff....
I will gladly give you his email if you want to talk with him. He also got to experience the refuel nozzle coming through the cockpit window during an in flight refuel.
I'd be interested to hear more about this as well. Granted, the B-52's not designed to carry cargo, but it could certainly have the capability to transport a vehicle or two. Depending on the model, and type of ordinance "cartridge" onboard at the time, something could've been klooged together to make it happen. It was a different time back then (I'm assuming we're talking about prior to the '80s, when things were a lot more fast and loose in the military), so nothing would surprise me. :whistling:

Gas nozzle boom through the screen mid-air. Wow. THAT would be a story to hear about as well.

That is a great buy on that car! My 429CJ hat 23 options. I let it go after obtaining the Boss 351.

I just can't purchase that one...

Buff's weren't designed to carry cargo, just various bomb racks. There's no floor at all in the bomb bay so a rack to hold the car would have had to be engineered. At only 6 feet wide, the bomb bay isn't wide enough but for the smallest of cars. They may have snuck a car home on a cargo plane, but it weren't on no Buff....
I will gladly give you his email if you want to talk with him. He also got to experience the refuel nozzle coming through the cockpit window during an in flight refuel.
I'd be interested to hear more about this as well. Granted, the B-52's not designed to carry cargo, but it could certainly have the capability to transport a vehicle or two. Depending on the model, and type of ordinance "cartridge" onboard at the time, something could've been klooged together to make it happen. It was a different time back then (I'm assuming we're talking about prior to the '80s, when things were a lot more fast and loose in the military), so nothing would surprise me. :whistling:

Gas nozzle boom through the screen mid-air. Wow. THAT would be a story to hear about as well.

I think the time frame was in the 60's. Buck Wiggins is his name great guy was my boss for years. John his real name but Buck by the guys in the bomber. Have sat with him on phone conference calls while in China with the customer while downing 7&7 one after another and he did not care.

Not sure on the back story. I'll be talking to him again today. I called him on the number listed and he answered all questions pretty quickly.

It's not a perfect car but to be honest I've had perfect cars and I much prefer drivers.

Unfortunately I won't see the car until December as I'm out of the country for business. Until then I'll have to settle for shipping the car to a local shop and facetiming. There are a few interesting features on this car that I want to take a closer look at. Take a look at the engine bay shot and tell me what is attached to the two vertical rods bolted to the radiator support on either side of the hood latch. VERY hard to see and you only see a portion of it.
Maybe the automatics came with extra cooler or maybe they add one like SCJ remote engine oil cooler. You will know soon. Will be a great car no mater what but a white interior makes the green really stand out.

Maybe the automatics came with extra cooler or maybe they add one like SCJ remote engine oil cooler. You will know soon. Will be a great car no mater what but a white interior makes the green really stand out.
I agree on the white interior comment. Maybe over time my view will change but white is such a pain for a car that's going to be driven! :cool:

One other interesting thing I noticed was that the speedo is 200 kph. Doing a little research this is correct for a 1971 export but what was also interesting is that in 73 they have 220kph speedos. I'm trying to figure out what is correct for 72 to see if it was a one year only speedo.

I'm pretty excited about the car but unfortunately I won't see it in person until December as I am out of the country!:mad::mad: Won't get to drive it until next June probably.

Lot of research to do in the next few months to understand the japanese export items.

From what I can tell the only factory option this car didn't come with was the Protection Package. Pretty crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats on the buy and welcome to the site. Great price, I was watching the bid countdown and expected a flurry of bids to jack the price up higher. Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get home.

Congratulations. The car looks awesome. I am looking forward to reading about it.

Nice... I might have wound up with this car save for the line in the add, "no overseas buyers, the car will stay in the USA"... Bummer... Enjoy the ride.

Back