Thompson Powerblast Plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting product-

Fuel Atomization: Breaking up is hard to do

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2012/08/Fuel-Atomization/3715001.html

Fuel that remains in fully liquid form can usually be found lying on the bottom of the intake manifold plenum; if it's partially atomized, it usually clings to the walls of the manifold runners. Over time, this fuel will eventually turn to a vapor either from long exposure to heat or through being carried away into the cylinder via higher intake manifold velocity. If the unatomized fuel enters the cylinder, it will usually leach into the carbon deposits, making more of them, or making the existing deposits harder.

The main premise behind most high-mileage carburetors was to eliminate the atomization process, instead going directly to fuel vapor. They used various methods, from cotton balls to soak up the gas and then release only vapors, to heat from the exhaust. One problem with them is that they continued to produce volatile fumes after the engine was shut off, leading to potentially explosive results. Some of the schemes could actually run an engine for a while. As can be expected, keeping the cotton balls properly soaked and emitting vapors at the same time was problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents for what it's worth...……… and that ain't much!!

Watching the video, I think the intent is to better atomize the fuel from the power squirter nozzles on kick down only which it appears to do, not at WOT. But what a cheesy video for sure, amateurish at best. I definitely agree that this is something I would pass on because of the high possibility of failure due to harmonics. Brass isn't that strong to withstand vibration.

I wonder what the "Sharks" would have to say about this one?

Geoff.

Back