Timing frustrations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run MSD 6AL boxes for many years with good success. Be aware that any of the CD boxes that power the coil directly (MSD, Taylor etc) will require the use of an MSD 8920 Tach Adapter to maintain functionality of the factory tachometer.

The Duraspark uses the factory circuit to power the coil, so there are no issues. 

If you decide to go Duraspark, I recommend the Duraspark 1 Red grommet unit which was used in 302 V8 application in CA 77-78.

George Pence explains it well here, about halfway down :  https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/parts-needed-to-convert-duraspark

I installed the setup in a friend's 72 F150 and it starts and runs like an MSD equipped vehicle. The built in start-spark retard function is really nice. You will have to bypass the resistance wire, but that's pretty easy. You must run the matching coil for the D1 box. 

Control Module

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49690&cc=1134818&jsn=2819

Coil

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=47258&cc=1134818&jsn=2830

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody keeps putting China down. Look on your computer and phone and see who made them. The U.S. it to lazy to do the difficult jobs they just keep the easy stuff here. 
It amazed me when I ordered a new computer order on a Monday and delivered on Saturday made to order in China and shipped to the U.S. in one week. I am lucky to get an in stock mustang part in a week here. If the company buying from china has proper quality control in place there is not an issue. When you let them do what they want of course they are going the cheapest way just like here in U.S..

I am all for buy US but there is not much out there and some not so good. I have worked with Roybi here in the U.S. in S.C.. They made lots of Craftsman tools and of course Roybi. They have area in the plant that looks just like Home Depot they have to design and build the displays also. They told me the design life for their tools was 10 hours of use. They said most home owners never use one that much. But most home owners do not have a rust mustang to work on either.

Sadly, I agree. Chinese product across a broad spectrum of industries have seen a huge upgrade in their quality the last couple of years. The mainstream marketplace was finally starting to see Chinese product for what it was... cheap, but crap. With the improvements in quality that many of their plants are starting to put out now, the Chinese are actually becoming a bigger thereat than they ever were. 

Having said that I still try to buy Made in USA whenever it makes sense. 

Big Red mach thats a solid plan, best bang for your buck you can do. If you need a rev limiter or multiple spark at idle you can always upgrade to a cd box later.
We'll see how this setup does as far as easier starting, smoother idle an less raw fuel smell at idle goes. If I'm not satisfied, I'll jump up to the Taylor or MSD setup. This was pretty inexpensive, so it won't kill me to abandon it if I have to. 

David the msd boxes were all usa made , at a premium price the only reason their made in cornaville is for larger profits not a better or cheaper product.
Exactly. When MSD was bought by Holley, much of their product line went straight to China. The change was so quick that they were shipping Chinese-built distributors in "Made in USA" labelled boxes with a "Made in China" sticker over the country of origin. 

I just finished a Duraspark 1 conversion on my 429, used a box and coil from Rockauto and a new custom-curved distributor from Scotty J http://reincarnation-automotive.com/services

Seems to run great but only got it done yesterday so not many miles yet.

I attached below the wiring schematic that I used that I stole from George P. I converted to a 3G alternator at the same time, so I used the old 'I' wire from the original external VR that is eliminated to trigger the relay. If you are still running the old charging system you can use the original resistor wire that powered the coil to trigger the DS box relay (as in George's schematic). For the realy info, I don't think polarity on the relay coil is a big deal (George and the Internet have them opposite).

DS I Wiring Schematic.JPG

Duraspark coils use the below connector usually called a 'horseshoe' connector

Horseshoe Connector.JPG

The female box and dizzy harness connectors are available aftermarket as well. Depending on which DS system (1 or 2) you decide to go with I found the below chart somewhere that details compatability

Ignition Info.JPG

Check out those plug gaps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back