TMI one piece headliner help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting to do the interior in my 71 Mach 1. Everything is out, sound deadener is in, front windshield and rear window are out. I was looking to install the one piece headliner but don’t know if I can put it in without the windshield and rear window. Has anyone installed it? What order should I go in For the interior?

thanks!

71-429 Mach 1,
I had a body shop friend of mine do my 71 sportsroof headliner, I had the interior already gutted and windshield and rear window out.

The headliner is supposed to fit under the rear window gasket and windshield, you gotta have a place for the glue to adhere to in those positions as well as by the sail panels.
If you are even a little squeamish have a pro do it.
I watched my guy do this install and it looked like he had no clue, but once he started spraying the glue I could tell he had done this many times and mine turned out flawless.
Boilermaster

For the one piece TMI headliner, they say you do not need the front or rear windshield out but to put the sail panels in properly, you do at least need the rear windshield out. Also, the package tray trim on both sides should be removed. Here is how I installed mine, it wasn't that hard of a job but it would be easier with a helper. I removed the headliner side and front trim. I got 4 threaded rods that fit the dome light threads and put those in place. You may want to add a small hole for the dome light wire to pass through, I did not but ended up having to add one when I added my dome light later on. I had to turn the headliner sideways to get into the car then I held it up and used the 4 dome light threaded rods to center the headliner. I used a bunch of washers as spacers and put nuts on the threaded rod to hold the headliner in place. Once it was in place, I installed the front trim piece, then the side trim to include the bolts for the seat belts. I did not install the rear side window trim pieces (short ones) at this time because the sail panels go under these. I installed the sail panels (the retainer piece on the back does not line up, don't bother with that. I pulled the part of the sail panel out of the rear window that goes under the window and glued that down to hold it in place then set the window with new gasket installed. Used a rope to get the window gasket in place and to wrap around the rear of the headliner (rear of the headliner will have the window gasket around it to hold it in place). After the sail panels were in place, I put the package tray trim and the rear quarter window trim on.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. Good luck.

Tom

You can fit it in through the door if the quarter windows are off or down.

they marks they give for the seatbelt and dome light did not match up on mine.

they instructions say to let installer determine what to do with excess material.

I ended up cutting the material about an inch from the fiberglass and glued it to the top side of the fiberglass.

all the trim pieces and the dome light hold it up to the roof.

the back glass weatherstrip has the go over the back of the headliner to hold it up in back.

the sail panels come with the headliner

Thanks for all the advice. First time doing a Mustang so learning along the way. Is it possible to put the window gasket in to hold the headliner with no window in place or will it need the window to hold the gasket in place? I’ve watched videos on earlier Mustang with the TMI headliner and see how the front and rear window gasket goes over the edge of the headliner to hold it in.

You can install the headliner and then install the rear window with gasket at a later point. Using the rope method to install the rear window and gasket will help pull the window gasket over the rear of the headliner. I did my rear window awhile after installing the headliner, I just mentioned doing it at one time during my post for "all at once" simplicity sake. Good luck.

Tom

I am starting to do the interior in my 71 Mach 1. Everything is out, sound deadener is in, front windshield and rear window are out. I was looking to install the one piece headliner but don’t know if I can put it in without the windshield and rear window. Has anyone installed it? What order should I go in For the interior?

thanks!
Install of these are straight forward. Windows out make it simple. Start at the front and work your way back. Just did mine in the fall. Don't have many in process photos20210812_190044.jpg

I worked back to front as the headliner has a grove that follows the rear window contour.

get some clamps to hold it in place while you move it around. I also had it suspended by small ropes to allow me to move it around to get a game plan.

I didn't realize that there was insulation on the sail panels. Anyone have any ideas on where to get this?

You can make them from fiber carpet underlayment, along with the rest of the insulation in the rear of the car. Home Depot and others carry a variety of styles. I used the type without the foam bits.

Back