Traction Bars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we're going to put traction bars on both the 71 and the 72. Does anyone have them and do they do anything other than look awesome? I'd like to see some of your set-ups if possible. We are looking at Lakewood Traction Action...
Hey guys set me straight going from memory of 50 years ago. The Shelby mustangs at the least the 65 R models has what I think was called an override traction bar for the road racking. It did not lift the front end it pushed it down to make the front end stick coming out of a corner. Is that what I remember correct? So if you are autocross or road racing you need an entirely different traction bar set up. For drag you are trying to lift the front end to transfer weight to the rear but not so for handling. I know someone that knows will set me straight if I am wrong.

David
I believe that you are correct. The traction bars that I have are for straight line traction and not for road courses. Just liked the look for me as I will not be going to any 1/4 mile tracks or road tracks like some of the other members from here do.

One beer too many here to remember but here goes :dodgy:

Traction bars are to keep the rear axle from twisting and to prevent the

laughable "Bunny Hop".

For weight transfer for drag racing we used to run 90/10 shocks in the

front which allowed the front end to come up easily and stay there for

a bit.

When I first started to thrash my 69 stang the u-bolts were cutting into

the housing because of the twisting and a failure was eminent so I went 9 inch

and traction bars as a cure.

Maybe one more beer and someone will reply on the road race aspect?

Hey It's my Saturday :D

Paul

I got the under spring Shelby style. THey work great. Unlike the old school bars (I call them slapper bars) they also control wheel hop while braking.

If you click on my garage and look at the pictures in modifications you can see a pic.

I'm liking these! It seems like jbojo's selection is the surest "drop-in" set up, agree? http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/traction-bars/brand/lakewood-suspension/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang?N=4294895985%2B400272&keyword=traction

As you may recall I purchased my shocks a week or two ago so this will be a perfect time to do it all at once. I haven't seen many of these on convertibles but I think it would add a bad ass look to my car. What are your thoughts? I would love to see pics of these in a side profile of some of our cars.

Thanks for making the next idea so easy! I had never even thought about these until now.

Cheers,

JHawk

I'm liking these! It seems like jbojo's selection is the surest "drop-in" set up, agree? http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/traction-bars/brand/lakewood-suspension/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang?N=4294895985%2B400272&keyword=traction

As you may recall I purchased my shocks a week or two ago so this will be a perfect time to do it all at once. I haven't seen many of these on convertibles but I think it would add a bad ass look to my car. What are your thoughts? I would love to see pics of these in a side profile of some of our cars.

Thanks for making the next idea so easy! I had never even thought about these until now.

Cheers,

JHawk
I also found these recommended in another thread... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-2109/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

Looking for any input on the two products. Pictures also would be nice and any tips on installation.

Thanks,

JHawk

What would one use for road racing? Not that I road race, but I like the rear end planted on winding mountain roads. I am considering a torque arm..

What would one use for road racing? Not that I road race, but I like the rear end planted on winding mountain roads. I am considering a torque arm..
Road racing you say? Rear end planted you say? Then you need this setup... which btw is what I'm seriously considering myself.

Maier-Motorsports-Mustang-22-copy-1200x800.jpg

[video=youtube]

Here are a few of the companies to look at for upgrading the suspension:

Maier Racing

Global west

Street or Track

Open Tracker

And now another video of a lowly Mustang taking on a pack of Porsche Caymans at Road Atlanta. The 65-66 stangs have horrible suspensions but looks what's possible.

[video=youtube]

Dude, I have sweaty palms from watching that!!!

Doggone it, the vid ended at the meat of the best part...

Cheers,

JHawk
I also found these recommended in another thread... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-2109/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

Looking for any input on the two products. Pictures also would be nice and any tips on installation.

Thanks,

JHawk
Great stuff on all the racing...but...I was wondering if anyone can help with the traction bar discussion?

Thanks and Cheers!

JHawk

Way back when, I used to be a serious autocrosser. In my neck of the woods you were either a round tracker or a drag racer. The exception is the Florida panhandle. Because Pensacola is a military city there has always been a more diverse group of people there. Somehow I got involved with them. Over time I got tired of the wheel hop, saved some "tight" money and purchased a set of Ansen Ground Grabbers from a local speed shop.

These things did away with any wheel hop! They were awesome for straight line but they were awful for autocrossing. Depending on the severity of the turn, I would lift the inside rear wheel anywhere from 1" to 4". A spin never makes for a fast time. So I sold these things and then got a set of slap bars. They worked and they are still on the car today.

By the way, it doesn't matter that the car hasn't turned a wheel in 25 years. It has been garaged since '89 and just waiting for me to put up the money to have it restored. It was bad ass then and hopefully it will be again. Will I autocross it again? No. But I do want it to handle if I get one of those wild hairs as I so often get! I'll save my autocrossing and roadracing for the other car in my garage, the Titan MK3. I took Don (Don65stang) to an autocross last weekend and you see what it did to him. I even let him drive my wife's restored '74 MGB on the way home.

Great stuff on all the racing...but...I was wondering if anyone can help with the traction bar discussion?

Thanks and Cheers!

JHawk
Leave it to a site Admin to hijack the other Admin's thread and start discussing racing. :whistling:

I took Don (Don65stang) to an autocross last weekend and you see what it did to him. I even let him drive my wife's restored '74 MGB on the way home.
It was amazing fun! and the MG is a very nice ride.

Road racing you say? Rear end planted you say? Then you need this setup... which btw is what I'm seriously considering myself.

Maier-Motorsports-Mustang-22-copy-1200x800.jpg

[video=youtube]

That does look cool.. I have actually been to Maier. I live in the Bay Area and am only about 30min from them. I just don't want to lose my trunk space..

Latest posts

Back