Transmission leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasFastback

Reaction score
My Car
'72 fastback, 302, Fmx
A while back I replaced the tranny line because there was a hole in one of them. When I did it i use stainless steel lines from NPD. The trans was still leaking and for the longest time I thought it was the stainless not sealing, the still might not be sealing. So, when I moved from Las Vegas to Oregon, I pulled the car up here on a car dollie, which required removing the driveline. when I was under there I noticed that there was a clean spot at the end of the transmission where the drive shaft enters. My question is, is there a seal in the end of the trans and how hard is it to change?

A while back I replaced the tranny line because there was a hole in one of them. When I did it i use stainless steel lines from NPD. The trans was still leaking and for the longest time I thought it was the stainless not sealing, the still might not be sealing. So, when I moved from Las Vegas to Oregon, I pulled the car up here on a car dollie, which required removing the driveline. when I was under there I noticed that there was a clean spot at the end of the transmission where the drive shaft enters. My question is, is there a seal in the end of the trans and how hard is it to change?
Yes there is a seal there. Its very easy to change and cheap. If you dont have a seal puller you can use a screwdiver and hammer to pry it out but be careful not to score the tranns up to bad where the seal sits. Pry it out and install the new one by tapping it into place evenly with a hammer and i had even used a socket the same size as the seal to tap it in evenly. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Yes there is a seal there. Its very easy to change and cheap. If you dont have a seal puller you can use a screwdiver and hammer to pry it out but be careful not to score the tranns up to bad where the seal sits. Pry it out and install the new one by tapping it into place evenly with a hammer and i had even used a socket the same size as the seal to tap it in evenly. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.
There are 2 or 3 different types of seals for the rear output shaft.

I remember buying one and when we went to replace the seal it was

the wrong one even though sold as appropriate for my car.

mike

There are 2 or 3 different types of seals for the rear output shaft.

I remember buying one and when we went to replace the seal it was

the wrong one even though sold as appropriate for my car.

mike
Probably different one for each tranny. C4 C6 fmx and toploader.

Alright so I got under the car today to replace the endshaft seal and now I'm lost on how to remove it.

IMAG0264.jpgIMAG0266.jpg

Also I kinda worried about it not looking the same as my new one.

IMAG0268.jpg

Pry it out with a screwdriver or a prybar that fits along side the output shaft and behind the seal. The seal in the trans looks wrong.
Thanks. Ok next question how do I remove the bushing? Is there a special tools for it?

Check your tailshaft bushing for excessive play / wear. If the bushing is worn replacing the seal will not help.

Tailshaft bushing here is a picture of the new one.IMAG0269.jpg

The ford manual shows a special tool to remove it, but I have no Idea what is called or how to find one.

The tailshaft housing will need to be removed to change the bushing.
To be honest I was hoping someone would pop up with a tool similar to the one found here. http://atoztool.com/2200A.html This one is the only one I've found so far, but I'm going to a local shop that said if i bring the new bushing in that they will probably have one. Hopefully its not $128.

Back