Transmission Number

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so. The C6 in my 73 car has a 22 on top of the bell housing. You want to look for the tag  and the casting numbers. On mine there are numbers all over the Main body and tail housing, as well as paint markings. See the pictures below I took of mine. I it helps.

bulk photo upload

Tim, those are random case casting numbers that aren't safe to use for positive ID. I checked several C6 cases and none have any numbers on the top of the bell housing like yours. There is a flat spot on the end of the main transmission housing just before where the extension housing bolts up. Some are lightly stamped and are hard to read but you should be able to see a number followed by a letter and then six numbers that should match the last six of your Vin. Don't know from your picture if your trans is being reinstalled or coming out, but if still in car can be done with a good light and mirror. There is also a metal tag usually found under one of the servo bolts, that while not a indicator that your trans is original, will at least let you know the C6 is the correct version for your car.

The yellow arrow in the illustration shows the location of the flat pad. The second illustration is a C6 from my 72 Q code Gran Torino. 2=1972, A= Atlanta, and the last six are from the Torino's Vin. So if your car is a 73, it should read " 3F" for 1973 and Dearborn, then show the last six numbers of your Vin.

C6bbtop_LI.jpg

IMG_0287.JPG

Thanks for the clarification. I learn something new every time. As you can see from my picture, the number on top, as you show, is not completely legible only the last 5 digits are and they do match my VIN. I guess it confirms my trans is the original for my car.

Thanks

Back