• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Trunk Pan M438 or M438A

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H code

72 Sportsroof 351W
I'm having trouble finding a decent deal for a trunk pan. Amazon has one for $209, but they cancel the order immediatly. The mustang parts houses all want to charge Freight shipping $175.

Let me know what ya'll are doing to source these, I'm near Austin / San Antonio. I would be willing to drive to pick it up from those metroplexes

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Prem...9094392&sprefix=trunk+pan+m438,aps,118&sr=8-1

I think they have them on CJ for about $200, and I think it's free shipping.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/trunk-floor-34-x-54-1971-1973/p/M438/?year=1972

EDIT: Freight charge to me is $750+ for this. Absolutely outrageous. They sent me a pretty large parcel recently (probably not much smaller than the trunk floor is) and it was free. I also ordered 60" floor pans, those shipped free. Why this specific item has to go through freight seems a little odd.

Last edited:
Amazon and Autoplicity are no go's. Don't order the trunk pan from them.

View attachment 94250

You wouldn't expect it to be that difficult to get ahold of. I saw a guy had one on here the other day and it was free but it was pickup only from somewhere on the East coast. You might be able to convince him to ship it if you throw him the $200 you'd have spent anyway.

I bet that roadtrip is starting to look pretty enticing, huh? :ROFLMAO:

Here's my situation. The previous owner did install a new trunk pan, but told me that he was a only novice welder. I am not sure when he had the pan out, whether he treated the frame rails inside with POR, etc. And I do not see any plug welds securing the pan to the frame rails.

i am tempted to just clean this up, and move on. Seam seal it, and prime the hell out of it. The pan is solid and I think his welds under and around the pan will hold up fine. Not doing a concourse build here.

let me know what you think.

View attachment IMG_4658.MOV

i am tempted to just clean this up, and move on. Seam seal it, and prime the hell out of it. The pan is solid and I think his welds under and around the pan will hold up fine. Not doing a concourse build here.

let me know what you think.

View attachment 94251

That looks fine to me. I'd probably just clean it up and treat it like you said and be done with it. If it's solid, it can be sorted to look new. By the time you've figured out a way to get a new one, you'll be $200 and however many hours deep, + hours of figuring out logistics, and cutting this out to weld the new one in. I'd save yourself the headache mate, personally.

I've seen a lot worse, including my own at the moment :ROFLMAO:

That looks fine to me. I'd probably just clean it up and treat it like you said and be done with it. If it's solid, it can be sorted to look new. By the time you've figured out a way to get a new one, you'll be $200 and however many hours deep, + hours of figuring out logistics, and cutting this out to weld the new one in. I'd save yourself the headache mate, personally.

I've seen a lot worse, including my own at the moment :ROFLMAO:
Cool. That's what I'm thinking as well

Back