Turn signal switch installation 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Just getting myself prepared if this is the reason I am not getting power to my horn.

I have been reading up on it, and 1973 seems to be different, where they say you don't have to take the plug off and feed the wires through the column. Can anyone shed more light on this?

I should have had a longer look at it when I had the column out of the car. From what I did see, I don't understand how you can get the switch in without feeding wires

I don't know what your fretting about I changed mine and it was no big deal. I did it quite a few years ago but I don't seem to remember having and issue except having to pull the steering wheel and not having a puller so I had to buy one. But the wires were just plug and play as far as I can remember.

I guess that is what I am asking, plug and play in what way? Does the plug come off and then clip back instead of cutting on the 73 switch?
I don't remember cutting or splicing anything but exactly how it went together I don't remember. I'd have to get into it again or get out my shop manuals and read up. unfortunately I'm at work otherwise I'd look it up for you. Frank

I goggled it and it looks like you just have to fish the wires through and outside the column then plug them in. Ez-Pz Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this recently as well on a 71 though. I was a bit worried about what I was getting into and it turned out to be no big deal. I thought I was going to have to cut wires and/or disassemble the plugs. None of that. It was all plug and play. I didn't even have to use a string to pull wires back through it was so easy. Yours of course could be different but once you get in there you'll know. I think you'll find that it's fairly straightforward.

Eric

I just did my 73 vert with tilt column. You do just fish the wires down and the curved plug that connects to the dash harness has a couple places to release the red center plastic piece. Once that is out you just remove each wire and replace with the new one. Someone had not done that previous on this car and had spliced the wires two times. No need to splice. I had the Ford manual that tells how to do the job.

You said horn does not work can also be the switch in the pad. I would check that before putting in new turn signal switch.

David

you know what i remember, they sell 2 turn signal kits.

one version you have to splice it in.

the other is a concourse replacement that has the correct plugs on it.

the complete concourse version is more expensive and many people went for the cheaper version.

Latest posts

Back