Turn signals don't work, hazards do, blows fuse. Help please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DattPaletero

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach I - H Code
My turn signals stopped working, i checked the 14a fuse and it's blown, replaced it and it blew again. The hazards do work.

I put in another fuse, and as i looked at the fuse block i stuck the key in the ignition and it blew the fuse again with out turning the key at all. I'm at a loss.

Haven't pulled the steering wheel because the kit is at my job, but i will as soon as i can, has anyone ever dealt with this?

Thanks

I haven't dealt with this particular issue, but this may give you a starting point. The hazard flashers run off a circuit breaker and a separate flasher. The turn signals run off the fuse and its own flasher unit, plus, the turn signals run through the ignition switch, as well as on up the steering column to the turn signal switch. Because the hazards work the problem more than likely is within the steering column, ignition switch, and turn signal switch area.

Just by putting the key in the ignition and not turning the ignition should not cause any fuses to blow nor activate any circuit. I'd start by examining the ignition switch: perhaps it is mis-aligned?

Just by putting the key in the ignition and not turning the ignition should not cause any fuses to blow nor activate any circuit. I'd start by examining the ignition switch: perhaps it is mis-aligned?
Why? Key is in, door open, door buzzer buzzes. Is that not an active circuit that is complete once the key is entered?

Yeah, if the door was open, sure. But if everything was proper for the car to start, the key by itself shouldn't cause fuses to blow.

Thanks for providing the exception(s) to the rule(s).

Just throwing this out. When I had my dash apart the old signal flasher had tape wrapped around it for insulation. The flasher was just hanging above the component board above the glove box. Could it be that the flasher case is touching the connectors on that board? Seems to make sense the fuse blows when the key is inserted and the key in buzzer is in the same location. If I remember correctly some of those connectors are spade type and not insulated so if the flasher case is touching that as soon as you insert the key you would have a short.

you will need to pull the steering wheel off the top of the column and look at the turn signals and hazard switch, see if metal shavings or something fell in from the horn rings.

you will need to pull the steering wheel off the top of the column and look at the turn signals and hazard switch, see if metal shavings or something fell in from the horn rings.
Yeah it's been raining so far so I haven't had time to tinker with it but that's first thing i'm was gonna do.

Thanks

I haven't dealt with this particular issue, but this may give you a starting point. The hazard flashers run off a circuit breaker and a separate flasher. The turn signals run off the fuse and its own flasher unit, plus, the turn signals run through the ignition switch, as well as on up the steering column to the turn signal switch. Because the hazards work the problem more than likely is within the steering column, ignition switch, and turn signal switch area.
Thank you, I am going to check the whole column area and go from there.

I should have also said checking with the fuse block diagram that's in the 73 wiring diagram section, the fuse that blows is the #4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back