Turnkey not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas1973MustangMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach1
HI Guys

I did the duraspark ignition switch

and i have a High Torque Starter in my 460cid engine.

It should be all right connected.

In my interrior there is everything unplugged.

My Headlights are working correctly and also my windshield wipers too.

My turnsignal is not working. Bulbs are ok.

I earth the engine correctly and also the battery.

When i bypass the + post to the starter post with a cable the starter turns well.

I also dont know if my ignition system is working.

Are there any cables in the interrior wich need to be connected to let the starter work?

Another strange thing is.

The Headlight and wiper always works when i install the battery.

I mean i dont have to turn the key on run or something i can everytime put the lights on and off... Is that correct?

Now my question.

Wich calbes are neccessary for the starter?

I know the 2 cables wich needed to connect on the solenoid but wich else are there? From where does the starter gets his "run" ?

Also could that be that the solenoid is not working?

It looks very old and bad. I bought i new one and hope it comes soon.

What do u think?

Thanks

Andreas

Edit:

Turnkey is working.

My wiper dont work when i turn my key in off position.

I srsly hope that the solenoid is defect.

Are there any other reasons why it dont work?

Are there any fuse for the engine bay?

And wich cable is gives the start function for the starter?

My cables looks clean at all

Regards

Andreas

Your headlights work weather the key is in the ignition or not. They are however the only thing that should work without a key in the ignition. Sounds like you crossed up some wires installing the Duraspark. Stop and put everthing back the wa it was.

Did you just hook up the high torque starter?You may have a wire crossed there?If so,there are videos on you tube showing wiring up a hi-torq starter .

Definitely sounds like you flipped some wires around.

As far as the turn signals not working, that might be a bad flasher if you had that issue separately. To replace it you'll have to pull off the dash pad and look for it above the glove box. They only cost $4 or $12 if you get a heavy duty one. Double check to make sure the ground wire is connected from the harness.

-KR

headlight works always i think because i installed a relay for halogen headlights and there i have to go to the battery.

The wiper dont work if the key is off.

What did u mean "hook up the starter"?

I installed them with the two cables. the fat one to +pos on the solenoid and the smaller one to the starter post on the solenoid.

Ok the turn signal is because of the flasher5 thanks

But whats about my starter?

Are only these to cables neccesary to install it? Or wich cable is also needed? I mean there must be a run or start signal coming from the turnkey

Regards

Andreas

Wipers won't work with the key in the OFF position. The ignition must be in ACC or RUN to supply power to the wipers.

Latest posts

Back