U-joint dilemma

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallo

Reaction score
My Car
73' Grande
For a while I've been able to feel that jolt when you hit that gas that tells you new U-joints are needed, and finally got around to it. I went to my local O'reilly and they pulled up the 73 mustang on their computer and gave me the U-joints that it said. I went home, pulled my driveshaft, took both of the old U-joints out and started putting the new ones in.

Turns out that the joint they gave me for the rear doesn't even fit into the driveshaft, and the front one is really tough to spin on its bearings. Problem is that I hadn't planned on the new ones not working, even after 4 years of problems popping up restoring this car. :dodgy: Now the old ones are a jumbled mess. I'm not even sure which bearings go on which spider, or which one is front and which is rear.

Does anyone who put aftermarket U-joints on their Mustang remember what they used? Or does anyone have any pictures of their originals so I can work out what goes where?

Any help is appreciated.

-zac

I had the same thing happen on my 73. The front and rear should be the same.

Your front one is probably right. It's going to seem tight. It should loosen up after moving it for a while unless you let one of the needle bearing slip when installing it

Measure inside to inside your snapring grooves and measure the endcap diameter. I think this might be the ones I used but I'm not sure. The 3.219 outside lockup and the 1.0620 cap dia seem familiar

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-U-Joint/1973-Ford-Mustang/_/N-ip7f2Z9enhu?itemIdentifier=186700_22329_4222_

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing happen on my 73. The front and rear should be the same.

Your front one is probably right. It's going to seem tight. It should loosen up after moving it for a while unless you let one of the needle bearing slip when installing it

Measure inside to inside your snapring grooves and measure the endcap diameter. I think this might be the ones I used but I'm not sure. The 3.219 outside lockup and the 1.0620 cap dia seem familiar

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-U-Joint/1973-Ford-Mustang/_/N-ip7f2Z9enhu?itemIdentifier=186700_22329_4222_
well the two that were in here before I pulled it were different. Does that mean the previous owner put the wrong ones in? It looks like they are aftermarket, cuz they have grease joints.

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

They tried to sell me the small front and big back but mine were both small.

I would measure your endcap diameter and your distance between your snapring grooves. The rear might be 1 1/8 cap and 3.622.groove to groove 3 5/8 I think aprox.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-U-Joint/1973-Ford-Mustang/_/N-ip7f2Z9enhu?itemIdentifier=187153_18336_6064_

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Drivetrain/Year/1973/Make/FORD/Model/MUSTANG/Section/Driveshafts-Drive-Chains-Couplers-Yokes/Engine-Size/5-8L-351/Engine-Family/Ford-Cleveland/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Does it matter that one of my old U-joints didn't have any outside snaprings? All of these U-joints have 2 outside grooves. Plus, after measuring one of the U-joints it has 2 of the endcaps with a diameter of 1 1/8 and the other 2 endcaps are 1 1/16...

Now I'm really confused. :huh: :huh:

If you have a 351 with a C6 and a 3.50 axle or a 351 with a 4 speed that would be the correct one. It's pretty common to have thes "oblong" joints, I've had them on a few different cars and pickups.

I have 3 different center sections and depending on the yoke, I need 2 different u-joints to swap them. A replaced center section with a different yoke is not uncommon since it is so easy to change gears in these rear ends. Take actual measurements and go to a NAPA to get the right ones. Just a newbie with another opinion lol

my stang originally had a 351c 4v c6 and i had 1310 joints front and rear. the u joint is pretty small but has the same cap size as a small cap 1330.

now there are 1310 UJ's, and there are small cap 1330 UJ's, and big cap 1330 UJ's (some people/companies call it a cleveland cap), and a 1350. our cars have the mixture of the 1330's and 1310's. my friend dad sold me a his OEM posi out of a 73 and it turned out to be a 1330 big cap which is between a 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 cap.

once you somewhat put together the u joints that came out of it, then you can measure how far apart the u joints are then measure the cap size.

be be angry if you have 1310 u joints. i mean, i took me with a 466 and a stick shift, with sticky street tires to finally brake one loose.

If you take it to your local driveshaft shop they will set you up with what you need. Might cost a few bucks more than the big box store but no guess work.

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up the right caps and put them on the right spider for the rear. The car is back on the road. Ended up with the 1 1/8"

Interesting thread, it helps me.

I remove the shaft cause I want to change the u joints. At the transmission, no problem to find, 4 caps 1.062" with a lenght of 3.622", but at the rear is not the same, can't find at Rockauto or other sites.

2 caps are 1.062" (shaft) and the 2 others are 1.125" (yoke), lenght of 3.622".

Any idea where to find the correct U joints with also universal Joint U bolt Kit?

Thanks.

SAM_4701.JPG

Interesting thread, it helps me.

I remove the shaft cause I want to change the u joints. At the transmission, no problem to find, 4 caps 1.062" with a lenght of 3.622", but at the rear is not the same, can't find at Rockauto or other sites.

2 caps are 1.062" (shaft) and the 2 others are 1.125" (yoke), lenght of 3.622".

Any idea where to find the correct U joints with also universal Joint U bolt Kit?

Thanks.

Here you go. The bolt kit is on the same page.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p356_dana_spicer_5_7439x_universal_joint_ford_rear_1310_u_joint_w.html

Edit: this has the wrong overall length.

◦3.219 inches wide in both directions

I can't find, but here is end of evening, after diner, after red wine...

I found that maybe the "Moog 265" could fit at the rear, any thoughts?

Jbojo, thanks, I finally found the kit on the page, wine was not strong enough :)

I think I'm good, just need to order and wait.

Jbojo, thanks, I finally found the kit on the page, wine was not strong enough :)

I think I'm good, just need to order and wait.
My post had the wrong overall length, this one has the correct specs:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p354_dana_spicer_5_1204x_universal_joint_1330_series_ford_1.125_b.html

Dana Spicer 5-1204X

•GREASEABLE U-Joint....Grease Fitting in body of u-joint

•1330 series dimensions ◦3.625 inches wide in both directions

◦2 bearing caps are 1.0625 inch diameter

◦2 bearing caps are 1.125 inch diameter

◦Outside snap rings

Back