U.K Laws on indicators

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need to put an amber/orange bulb in the sockets where the reverse indicators are currently, but don't need reverse lights, then I think that's all I would be doing... especially, since you're going for concourse.
Yeah i agree keep it simple

If it is just the "bulb" per the MOT, then just change to 1157A bulbs. If they didn't say what they meant, i.e.. they meant amber lenses must be fitted, then get amber truck/trailer lenses and fit them to a reproduction set of tail light lenses, if you don't want to modify the original lenses. I would go to great lengths to avoid hacking up the original wire harness. Just a thought. Chuck
It can be a amber lense or clear lens with orange bulb.

Steve

Eric's right! ::thumb::

If I were you I would install 1967-68 Mustang back up lights below the rear bumper, change the bulbs into yellow and use it as a flashing indicator?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/back-up-light-kit-1967-1968/p/BLK2/

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Frank
Thats definately a solution as long as i can attach them to the bottom of the bumper without drilling any holes. There has to be a bracket out there that will serve my needs. The same principal as a clamp or bench vice but using a nut and bolt instead of a bar. That way the lights are attached BUT can be romoved without any detrimental effect to the car

It's easy and you don't have to change the outward appearance of the car at all. There's a member on the MOCGB forum who produces LED boards. These fit neatly inside the rear lamp housings in the Reverse light section and produce White light when Reverse is selected and Amber light when the turn signals are used.

A great solution for the UK based cars.

Wiring mods are simple, I have a diagram on file.

Here is his website page for the 1971-73 Mustang

Bright light Customs
:goodpost: PERFECT :thankyouyellow:

:bravo:

What is a flashing indicator? Is that a turn signal? A brake light? A running light? A backup lamp?

Turn signal = Indicator

Stop light = Brake light

Running light = Lights you use after dark

Red turn signal lamps are illegal on vehicles made after 1965

Turn signals have to be orange in the rear and front BUT white ones in the front are acceptable.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Its strange how Americans and the British speak the same language but we speak a totally differant language when it comes to having names for things. rofl
Ok Pegleg, I'm a Brit, now well converted to US / Canadian ways of speaking.

You are correct on turn and brake lights. Running lights can be nighttime lights, i.e. side markers, grill lights etc. other than or including main headlights. Some areas of the US do not use DAYLIGHT running lights, so in those areas, running lights only mean nighttime. In most of Canada, daylight running lights are the law for cars newer than (I think) 1990 or there-about, similar to the UK. Best idea ever and should be mandatory on all vehicles. I often drive with my sidelights on in daytime. Sidelights, there's another one. That means all lights EXCEPT headlights. As my Mach 1 is a 1971, I am not required to have daylight running lights.

Hope that helps get you Americanized!!

Geoff.

I'd actually considered converting the '71 sport lamps to clear lenses and either using them as DRLs or driving lights (by hacking up the backs and grafting in a set of similar-sized driving light reflectors).

What I want to know is, what the heck are the Euro city lights for? I mean, there are some low-watt bulbs in the headlight fixtures that look like all they do is help drain the battery (and when they're on, they look like they've all but drained the battery, as dim as they are).

You are correct on turn and brake lights. Running lights can be nighttime lights, i.e. side markers, grill lights etc. other than or including main headlights. Some areas of the US do not use DAYLIGHT running lights, so in those areas, running lights only mean nighttime. In most of Canada, daylight running lights are the law for cars newer than (I think) 1990 or there-about, similar to the UK. Best idea ever and should be mandatory on all vehicles. I often drive with my sidelights on in daytime. Sidelights, there's another one. That means all lights EXCEPT headlights. As my Mach 1 is a 1971, I am not required to have daylight running lights.

Geoff.
Thank You Geoff. My new Nissan has lights on permanently so if i understand it correctly those are my running lights. Here in the U.K now all cars are made that way though not sure when it became law (as passed by the European union) here and Europe.

Geoff.
Thank You Geoff. My new Nissan has lights on permanently so if i understand it correctly those are my running lights. Here in the U.K now all cars are made that way though not sure when it became law (as passed by the European union) here and Europe.
Steve, I just saw something that needs clarification in my above comment. Newer cars in most of Canada do have daylight running lights on permanently. Where I said I often drive with my sidelights on, I meant while I'm driving the Mustang.

My question is: how do others with older classics satisfy the law if they were never made that way?? There must be loads of guys trying to figure out what to do.

Steve, I just saw something that needs clarification in my above comment. Newer cars in most of Canada do have daylight running lights on permanently. Where I said I often drive with my sidelights on, I meant while I'm driving the Mustang.

My question is: how do others with older classics satisfy the law if they were never made that way?? There must be loads of guys trying to figure out what to do.
There is no law that states you have to have running lights on during daylight hours if your car was built before running lights were fitted as standard when the car was manufactured.

The definition of a "Classic Car" in the U.K is a vehicle built more than 40 years ago( Classic Car defined in law for the purpose of road tax exemption).

Therefore the law in the U.K encompasses modern cars as well as classic cars where running lights are defined. The following statement has been copied from The AA website. As you will see below daylight running lights are slightly differant to the sidelights on older vehicles. The laws set out below are European laws which apply in the U.K.

"European legislation adopted in 2008 required dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) to be fitted to all new 'types' of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012".

"This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted. The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date i.e. new or substantially facelifted models".

"There is no requirement to retro-fit DRLs to existing cars and no Europe-wide requirement for drivers of cars without daytime running lights to drive with headlights on during the day".

"Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on".

"Daytime running lights don't have to be separate lights - some car manufacturers combine them with the front position lamps (side lights) in which case the daytime running lights will dim when the headlights are turned on".

"If daytime running lights are located very close to indicator lights then the DRL on the appropriate side of the vehicle must turn off while the indicator is operating to avoid masking its signal".

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, pretty much the same here re running lights.

As for my question, did it in a hurry, what I meant to refer to was the original question about turn signals, sorry, indicators. How do other handle that dilemma? Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a link to road tax costs across differant vehicles. The size of engine no longer defines the amount of road tax you pay. Road tax is now based on the amount of pollution your vehicle emits as well as engine size. The pollution is based on tests done when a manufacturer makes the vehicle it is classified into a catagory of CO2. So years down the line the vehicle makes more CO2 but will not fall into a differant catagory. All electric cars are tax exempt

You will see tax discs are no longer issued. Most police cars are now fitted with A.N.P.R, Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Driving License, Road tax, M.O.T & Insurance are all stored on a central database which the police have full access. If a car passes a police car a system will read number plate of passing vehicles and a alarm will sound in the police car if a car does not have one or more of the following; M.O.T, Tax, Insurance, Driver has a license. Failure to have all four up to date will result in your car being towed away and impounded. If you do not pay the fees for release and produce up to date documents your car will be crushed. It is virtually impossible to drive illegally in the U.K today.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_roadtax.html

Heres a link to road tax costs across differant vehicles. The size of engine no longer defines the amount of road tax you pay. Road tax is now based on the amount of pollution your vehicle emits as well as engine size. The pollution is based on tests done when a manufacturer makes the vehicle it is classified into a catagory of CO2. So years down the line the vehicle makes more CO2 but will not fall into a differant catagory. All electric cars are tax exempt

You will see tax discs are no longer issued. Most police cars are now fitted with A.N.P.R, Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Driving License, Road tax, M.O.T & Insurance are all stored on a central database which the police have full access. If a car passes a police car a system will read number plate of passing vehicles and a alarm will sound in the police car if a car does not have one or more of the following; M.O.T, Tax, Insurance, Driver has a license. Failure to have all four up to date will result in your car being towed away and impounded. If you do not pay the fees for release and produce up to date documents your car will be crushed. It is virtually impossible to drive illegally in the U.K today.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_roadtax.html
Wow! I wonder what the return on investment is on that program? V

As for my question, did it in a hurry, what I meant to refer to was the original question about turn signals, sorry, indicators. How do other handle that dilemma? Sorry for the confusion.
I am new to American cars so my network of owners is limited. I am sure as time goes by i will build up my network of owners here in the U.K. Once my car finally becomes legal to drive i will be joining other American car owners that meet up once a month for a run out.

I am new to American cars so my network of owners is limited. I am sure as time goes by i will build up my network of owners here in the U.K. Once my car finally becomes legal to drive i will be joining other American car owners that meet up once a month for a run out.
I wish you luck and good times ahead. I'm sure there are Mustang clubs in the UK. A Google search might help. Going back to fixing your problem, someone mentioned an LED circuit board that uses the back-up lamp for both turn and back-up. That sounds like a plan to me.

Actually I saw my very first Mach 1 Mustang in Birmingham in 1972 and fell in love! It was Grabber Lime, black interior, black hockey stripes, nasa hood and spoilers...... freakin awesome...... and still my dream car. I have owned 4 Mach 1's, but not the Grabber Lime... YET!!

(could have painted my current car, till I found the history on it)

All the best of British,

Geoff.

I wish you luck and good times ahead. I'm sure there are Mustang clubs in the UK. A Google search might help. Going back to fixing your problem, someone mentioned an LED circuit board that uses the back-up lamp for both turn and back-up. That sounds like a plan to me.

Actually I saw my very first Mach 1 Mustang in Birmingham in 1972 and fell in love! It was Grabber Lime, black interior, black hockey stripes, nasa hood and spoilers...... freakin awesome...... and still my dream car. I have owned 4 Mach 1's, but not the Grabber Lime... YET!!

All the best of British,

Geoff.
I ordered the circuitboard yesterday and it arrived today!!!!!!! Now thats service :D

Yeah mine WAS Grabber Lime till someone painted it. I am looking forward to stripping back to bare metal and bringing it back to factory Grabber Lime. Though my interior is 4R Green and a Grande i am sure when it gets done it will be stunning with the White vinyl roof. I will be sure to post pictures when work finally starts on it

All the best of British,

Geoff.
I ordered the circuitboard yesterday and it arrived today!!!!!!! Now thats service :D

Yeah mine WAS Grabber Lime till someone painted it. I am looking forward to stripping back to bare metal and bringing it back to factory Grabber Lime. Though my interior is 4R Green and a Grandé i am sure when it gets done it will be stunning with the White vinyl roof. I will be sure to post pictures when work finally starts on it
That's going to be awesome!! My preference would be for a black interior, but that's your call. Look forward to seeing pictures as you get her done. Post pics of the lights when you're done.

All the best of British,

Geoff.

Yeah mine WAS Grabber Lime till someone painted it. I am looking forward to stripping back to bare metal and bringing it back to factory Grabber Lime. Though my interior is 4R Green and a Grandé i am sure when it gets done it will be stunning with the White vinyl roof. I will be sure to post pictures when work finally starts on it
That's going to be awesome!! My preference would be for a black interior, but that's your call. Look forward to seeing pictures as you get her done. Post pics of the lights when you're done.
The rest of my parts should be here Tues/Wednesday so with a bit of luck the work should be done by next Friday-Monday. Will load a video up if i can work it out. It should be easy enough :chin:

Any update on this Pegleg? I'm just interested after stumbling upon this thread. :)
The garage that done all the work for, and issued, M.O.T left the turn signals red(Owner of the garage has owned American cars/trucks all his adult life and now in his early 70's)

Back