UnderBody Work | Need new floor pans and inner rocker panels - advice?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to the forums , my apologies for the reposting:

I really need some help. I need to get the underbody completed in my 73 Convertible.

Both my inner rockers panel (rusted from bottom) and floor pans are rusted in my vehicle . See the following:

okmtms.jpg

r91na8.jpg

I am trying to interview local body shops to perform the work.

Unfortunately , I am getting all sorts of numbers to do this ($1,000 to $10,000).

One body shop mentioned he wouldn't trust any one locally to repair it since its a classic car, but he won't do it .

Any one have an idea of what a true ballpark should be ?

The biggest hurdle seems to be the inner rocker panels . Any one have contacts in the area to at least complete the inner rocker panels?

If I hired a person with basic welding experience would they be able to assist me in getting this done?

I do have the floor pans and the inner rocker panel from the PO (previous owner).

Im in the Charlotte NC Metro area.
Its been a couple of weeks and after some consideration (couldn't locate a great fabricator locally.) I choose a body shop North of Charlotte.

Don appreciate your looking for me .:)

Here's what they started working on a few weeks ago with the inner rocker and floor pans.

j08jmo.jpg

micjgm.jpg

Looking at these pictures I wish I had the room or knowledge on welding.

But as been suggested it is a structural piece, so best left to those that know.

Its been a few weeks and the Garage looks mighty empty..

I guess I'll spend my time sweeping it out ..
Update: Floor Pans are in!

73 FlintStone Mobile is now a 73 Mustang with Solid Floors and Inner Rockers.

Here are the After pictures.

wa4j0h.jpg

316xlpk.jpg

Any advise on cleaning and painting the floors?

that came out really nice, mine was sprayed with an epoxy primer, then sprayed with a very durable black paint, I tried to sand one part and I had a lot of trouble doing it, I'm not sure what type of paint they used.

Hey, I was just wondering if you found someone to take care of the rust repair? I also live in Charlotte and I'm looking for someone to do some similar repairs on my 71 convertible.

Hey, I was just wondering if you found someone to take care of the rust repair? I also live in Charlotte and I'm looking for someone to do some similar repairs on my 71 convertible.
I tried locating a few shops here locally , even with some assistance with some members. As an example I took my car to one shop that gave me a "quote" verbally on the phone, but after 3 tries never would send me an actual estimate and they were listed with the "BBB".

Angie's list has no "great recommendations for custom work" in our area.

I'll PM (Private Mail) you with a a few contacts not local, but well worth the hour or so travel.

Back