Update: My 19 year old son joined the US Marines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's talking about Air Force TACP. This is pretty hard core for the AF. It's one of the very few jobs where an Airman is a battlefield soldier. TACPs are embedded with the Army & Marine units on the battlefield and are the guys that call back to the AF for close air support. They drop bombs; "BIG bombs, small bombs, dumb bombs, smart bombs" and carry "105 pounds". Two references in the video worth listening for - hilarious and definitely worth watching. I had to watch it a few times. :D

[video=youtube]

Good for him for considering a really tough job. From my 20 years in the Army I know that Black Berets have one of the most dangerous and toughest jobs in the Air Force since they're normally imbedded in pairs with front line combat troops and the Army combat troops are damn glad to have them on the team.

Jim

Good for him for considering a really tough job. From my 20 years in the Army I know that Black Berets have one of the most dangerous and toughest jobs in the Air Force since they're normally imbedded in pairs with front line combat troops and the Army combat troops are damn glad to have them on the team.

Jim
The last thing he wants (or I see him doing) is some kind of desk job. Ah to be 19 again!

In 3 days I will have been in the Army for 19 years and not a single regret. One of the best decisions I ever made. Same thing went in for a few years to get out of a depressed economy back home. Ended up staying for a career. Spent 3 years as a recruiter and learned a lot.

Doesn't matter the service as long as the job is in the contract. Don't let them jerk him around. Technical jobs are in all of the services. Don't let dollar signs sway from picking a good job, the money will get blown then they have to live with the crappy job after.

TACP huh? Hmmm...well, that's not bad if the budget supports ample ammunition for training. I've been in a unit or two with AF TACPs and ALOs. Good guys, fairly selective...not bad. He can do the same job in the Marines called a FAC, I think. He can also join the army as a FO and go to JTAC school.

Again, if the budget can't support ample ammo for training then it's not as entertaining. If the ROE downrange prevents dropping ordinance for a variety of political reasons then it's not as entertaining.

But to each his own.

KR

Navy Nuke Electrical!!!! My son Jason has done very well for himself since getting out. In Brazil right now.
Yep. Best training an enlisted guy could ask for. Navy nuke.

They wanted me to take that test and after the first page I handed it back. Ended up as a Data Systems Technician. Plenty of real world opportunities with that too.

He's pressing forward with the AF TACP idea. Met with the recruiter yesterday. Next step is MEPS to see if he meets the qualifications medically. I'll keep you posted as it develops.

Update.

Twenty years ago on this very day I left for boot camp. This morning my oldest left for basic training in the US Marine Corps at Parris Island, SC. I am a very proud dad!

Best of luck to him, Don. I left college after my first quarter, and enlisted in the army - combat arms, unit of choice 82nd Airborne Division. Wound up as a Pathfinder in the 82nd and later 172 Artic Light Infantry Brigade. Oh yeah, that was back when we would run 4 miles wearing boots and long pants - I was 19, and tough as 2 sets of woodpecker lips. I left after my 4 year hitch and used my GI Bill to go to college. Graduated from Veterinary School in June '84, and 3 days later was back at Ft. Bragg as the base vet. I started my military career as a Private E-1, and eventually retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Getting a break from the academics isn't a bad thing. It will definitely give him something that he can always look back on with pride and say, "I did that." I wasn't the most physical guy, but I found I could gut it out with the best of them. To this day, I'm still proud of my service, and the wings and that torch I wore on my chest.

Don, I'm sure your son will do well in the Marines. It's something you and he will always be proud of.

Sounds like he made a good choice, I will never forget when my oldest son left for Parris Island. He left a confused unfocused boy and the next time I saw him he was a well focused young man that now knew what life expected of him.

Semper Fi

Rick

Received the 18 second arrived safely at Parris Island call from Mason. My wife and I answered the phone.

Here's what he said:

"This is Recruit Mason F. I have arrived safely at Parris Island.

Please do not send any food or bulky items.

I will contact you in 3 to 5 days via postcard with my new mailing address.

Thank you for your support.

Goodbye for now."

I could hear drill Sergents yelling in the background. That made me smile...this is going to be very good for him. Not that he was a bad kid but the last few years he didn't seem to want to listen to my instruction which had VERY mild military tones of clear, concise directions for him to follow. So this should be real fun for him. :D

Ahhh yes, the memories. Glad to see your son is going to be a Marine. I'm a Soldier stationed at a Marine Base (Quantico) so it's definitely been an interesting ride. I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell about the upcoming USMC Birthday.

This evening will mark the 3rd day for Mason on Parris Island experiencing Marine Corps boot camp. He will be allowed to rest this evening. When he finally does hit the rack for the first time he’ll get about 3 hours of sleep before it starts again.

The first three days are a lot of violent yelling, mind games and NO sleep. Today he gets a tour of Parris Island with ALL of his gear on; about 150 pounds worth. It will be a mile or so with two full sea bags (one on his front and one on his back) and a full laundry bag carried however he can. Every time something is dropped, they will start over. Every time a recruit stops moving, they start over. Yes, 150 pounds is heavy but the bad part is that it is carried it in sea bags with no straps or broken straps. That can make even 50 pounds a pain to carry. Add in 3 days of no sleep and you have 80 luggage toting zombies. Some recruits wont be able to do it. Now for the really bad part - he hasn't met his Drill Instructors yet; that comes tomorrow or Saturday.

Hope he learns to cheerish this experiance. My Father was a DI at Parris Is. for 2 years in the early 60's, Glad he mostly got over it while I was in my formitive years.:D OooRa

Back