Update: My 19 year old son joined the US Marines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is known as Black Friday for new recruits at Parris Island. Here's a video of what Mason will be doing as he gets acquainted with his Drill Instructors today. I remember in my basic training one recruit's bed (rack) being flipped and broken into 10+ pieces and having a DI screaming the whole time to get it back together "Do it NOW, Cupcake, I don't have all day!" Another recruits locker was thrown across the room.

Check out the DI chasing the recruit at 7:49. Awesome!

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/-SVKOMvnaR8

Speed eating lunch break at 1:02.

[video=youtube]

I sent Mason some fun questions today:

1. When you stepped off the bus at Parris Island and placed your feet on the yellow footprints, your first thought was:

A. I’ve changed my mind and I would like to go home now.

B. I want my blanky.

C. Bring it on! OOH-RAH!

D. Other (please explain) ____________________________.

2. When you received your peanut butter vaccination shot you:

A. Fainted.

B. Pounded your leg with your fist to make the pain go away.

B. Went to the end of the line so you could do it again.

C. Other ____________________________.

3. What time do you get up in the morning?

A. Zero-dark thirty.

B. 0400.

C. 0500.

D. Whenever we feel like it.

E. Other ____________________________.

4. What time do you go to bed?

A. 2100.

B. 2300.

B. Marine Recruits don’t need sleep OOH-RAH!

C. Other ____________________________.

5. Article 86 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits:

A. Blinking at the position of attention.

B. Sleeping while standing up during fire watch from 2AM to 3AM.

C. Making fun of the Senior Drill Instructor (SDI) behind his back.

D. Absence without leave.

E. More than a five minute break, after 10 minutes of one-armed push-ups.

6. How much time does it take you to take a shower?

A. 10 seconds.

B. 30 seconds.

C. One minute.

D. Other ____________________________.

7. The first time you and your SDI stood toe to toe, nose to nose, you:

A. Fainted.

B. Threw up.

C. Wanted to throw up.

D. Giggled.

E. Cried.

F. Repeated silently to yourself… ”Find a happy place, find a happy place”.

8. When the SDI is in your face screaming, you should:

A. Grin and bear it.

B. Not laugh as they would not be amused.

C. Look him/her right in the eye.

D. Politely suggest that there is no need to yell at this Recruit.

E. Other ___________________________________________.

9. How would you rate the chow?

A. What chow?

B. I know we have chow but I don't have time to taste it.

C. Very good, comparable to a nice steakhouse.

10. What is the worst thing about boot camp so far? ___________________________________________________________.

Today is known as Black Friday for new recruits at Parris Island...
Don, you should be very proud of your son, he's doing what few are willing to do and even fewer are capable of doing. Thank God there are still young men and women willing to step up to the plate and accept the great sacrifices they'll be called upon to make. I'm sure he knows by now, basic training is mostly a mind game and having the ability to hang in there and just not give up, there will be many times your son will ask himself "why in the hell am I doing this?"

I remember my Drill Sergeant (Army) one week into basic on a very cold morning had us in formation at 0-dark-thirty and tell us "If you think yesterday was hard, wait until you see what I have in store for you today, and every day will get harder. This is your last chance to go home and admit you made a mistake enlisting. If anyone of you wants to quit, I will personally drive you to a nice warm hotel and have a steak dinner delivered to your room while I process your paperwork to send you home, there will be no hard feelings."

I went through several other rough military courses in my 20 years and I made it through all them by reminding myself, it's a mind game, you only fail when you give up. Make sure your son knows that.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Don... Those are some great questions. I'm sure they will put a smile on his face, he may even understand a few of them now. If you need anything, let me know. I'm confident he is in good hands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This afternoon I received an letter with the answer to a fun list of questions I sent him. Here are the questions and his answers and/or remarks:

1. When you stepped off the bus at Parris Island and placed your feet on the yellow footprints, your first thought was:

A. I’ve changed my mind and I would like to go home now.

B. I want my blanky.

Mason answered => C. Bring it on! OOH-RAH!

Mason answered => D. Other - [shaking, nervous, didn't know what's next].

2. When you received your peanut butter vaccination shot you:

A. Fainted.

B. Pounded your leg with your fist to make the pain go away.

Mason answered => C. Went to the end of the line so you could do it again.

Mason answered => D. Other - [Just sore the next day].

3. What time do you get up in the morning?

A. Zero-dark thirty.

Mason answered => B. 0400.

C. 0500.

D. Whenever we feel like it.

Mason answered => E. Other - [too early].

4. What time do you go to bed?

A. 2100.

B. 2300.

C. Marine Recruits don’t need sleep OOH-RAH!

Mason answered => D. Other - [2000 (8PM)].

5. Article 86 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits:

A. Blinking at the position of attention.

B. Sleeping while standing up during fire watch from 2AM to 3AM.

Mason answered => C. Making fun of the Senior Drill Instructor (SDI) behind his back.

D. Absence without leave.

E. More than a five minute break, after 10 minutes of one-armed push-ups.

6. How much time does it take you to take a shower?

A. 10 seconds.

Mason answered => B. 30 seconds.

C. One minute.

7. The first time you and your SDI stood toe to toe, nose to nose, you:

A. Fainted.

B. Threw up.

C. Wanted to throw up.

Mason answered => D. Giggled. - [i give him the death look back.]

E. Cried.

F. Repeated silently to yourself… ”Find a happy place, find a happy place”.

8. When the SDI is in your face screaming, you should:

A. Grin and bear it.

B. Not laugh as they would not be amused.

Mason answered => C. Look him/her right in the eye.

D. Politely suggest that there is no need to yell at this Recruit.

Mason answered => E. Other - [i really don't get yelled at thjat much. I strive to be a good recruit.]

9. How would you rate the chow?

A. What chow?

Mason answered => B. I know we have chow but I don't have time to taste it.

C. Very good, comparable to a nice steakhouse.

10. What is the worst thing about boot camp so far?

- [The DIs spitting in your face. HAHA. I freaked one out, he spit on my face then I took my tongue out and licked my chin showing him I tasted it. LOL

You should have seen his facial expression...was priceless, since then he calls me crazy. hahaha]

I'm afraid he's enjoying this TOO much. I need to start writing silly sayings on the outside of the envelopes that his DIs will read.

Maybe something like...

I know it's tough now but you can always re-enlist in the Army.

You're Air Force recruiter called and said to tell you Hi.

Everything I read online says that USMC DIs are soft compared to back in the day.

What do you mean your DIs don't mess with you?

Can I overnight 60 cupcakes to you for your birthday to share with your platoon?

When my twin brother enlisted in the army, back in summer of 74, I made sure to send him letters addressed to Pervert Rxxxxx Bxxxx. He told me later that his Drill Sergeant gave him so much grief for that. I was just glad I was able to help him get in great physical condition. ;)

When my twin brother enlisted in the army, back in summer of 74, I made sure to send him letters addressed to Pervert Rxxxxx Bxxxx. He told me later that his Drill Sergeant gave him so much grief for that. I was just glad I was able to help him get in great physical condition. ;)
How weird... 73MustangCoupe has a twin brother, and so do I... 73StangCoupe. My twin brother and I joined the Marine Corps together back in 1982.

Received a 3rd letter from Mason yesterday. He is better and back to training. He said the SDI said we could send protein bars. He said he needs stamps and envelopes. He further said that he feels like the SDI cares about them but the other DIs not so much.

He also said he was the squad leader last week and was getting yelled at 24/7. I hope he's the squad leader this week too...it is good for him. I don't want to see any wimpy Marines.

One thing he wrote that I will cherish the rest of my life is "Dad you were right - this place is hell." It is one of the very few times parents hear they are right! I think I'll frame this letter.

I'm afraid he's enjoying this TOO much. I need to start writing silly sayings on the outside of the envelopes that his DIs will read.

Maybe something like...

Everything I read online says that USMC DIs are soft compared to back in the day.

Can I overnight 60 cupcakes to you for your birthday to share with your platoon?
Don,When I was leaving basic in the Navy back in 2000 they had started to put up signs in all the living quarters that said Profanity isn't Professional. I watched a couple minutes of the videos you posted earlier and it looks like they are still following that motto. How to you yell at a recruit and use the word "freaking" and feel good about your self afterwards. This new military is more of a corporation now days as they are going for the more professional approach. They are doing away with a lot of traditions as they aren't "politically correct". :mad:

Maybe something like...

Don,When I was leaving basic in the Navy back in 2000 they had started to put up signs in all the living quarters that said Profanity isn't Professional. I watched a couple minutes of the videos you posted earlier and it looks like they are still following that motto. How to you yell at a recruit and use the word "freaking" and feel good about your self afterwards. This new military is more of a corporation now days as they are going for the more professional approach. They are doing away with a lot of traditions as they aren't "politically correct". :mad:
Trust me Steve, the DIs find very imaginative ways of getting around the no profanity rule, and their terms are much more memorable... Like maggot!!!

Spent 4 years in the Marines in the 60's and have been kicking myself in the butt for not makeing it a carrer.

Jim
Yeah I did 8 in the Navy and not a day goes by that I don't regret not staying in and doing the long haul.

Maybe something like...

Trust me Steve, the DIs find very imaginative ways of getting around the no profanity rule, and their terms are much more memorable... Like maggot!!!

Oh I am sure they are coming up with something it just sucks that they have to in the first place. I saw the changes happen right in front of my eyes in the 8 years I was in. Basic, yeah we got beat yelled at cursed at you named it, came out of basic went to school then right out on a 6 month deployment. You didn't talk to the LPO or Chief unless they talked to you. You worked and keep your mouth shut while you worked. By my third and final deployment, the E3's were buddy buddy with the LPO/Chief, had no respect for rank and if they did do something worthy of writing up, the paperwork was usually 86'd and handled behind close doors with a don't worry about it "we'll handle it" SMDH.

Update:

He's completed the Crucible and has earned the title U.S. Marine. I am very proud of him...couldn't be more proud!

Back