Vacuum Hose Sizes, what is correct size? List?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm looking for the correct sizes of most of the vacuum hoses under hood, ?

The search option on this website got me nowhere, I was surprised!

I found all the vacuum schematics, but they don't indicate the hose sizes.

A result from Vintage Mustang Forums said carb. to dist. is 5/ 32".

I noticed in the NPD catalog they are listed as 5/32, 7/32, 9/32 , and 7/64.

I expected 1/8, or 3/8? Little confused here...I thought the standard vacuum advance on all my early mustangs over the years was either 1/8 or 3/16.  I don't know which one... 

Does anybody know of a published list?

Anyway, I need to know what size the hoses are for:

1.  The 3 ports on the distributor vacuum control valve, (the 3 way "T" on the water pump) are these 5/32?

2.  The hose on the air cleaner assembly, to the vacuum solenoid, these 5/32 also?

3.  The power brake booster to the manifold. My old one is stamped as being 11/32.

The auto stores around me are pathetic and I need to order the right hose sizes...

Appreciate any info...

I'm looking for the correct sizes of most of the vacuum hoses under hood, ?

The search option on this website got me nowhere, I was surprised!

I found all the vacuum schematics, but they don't indicate the hose sizes.

A result from Vintage Mustang Forums said carb. to dist. is 5/ 32".

I noticed in the NPD catalog they are listed as 5/32, 7/32, 9/32 , and 7/64.

I expected 1/8, or 3/8? Little confused here...I thought the standard vacuum advance on all my early mustangs over the years was either 1/8 or 3/16.  I don't know which one... 

Does anybody know of a published list?

Anyway, I need to know what size the hoses are for:

1.  The 3 ports on the distributor vacuum control valve, (the 3 way "T" on the water pump) are these 5/32?

2.  The hose on the air cleaner assembly, to the vacuum solenoid, these 5/32 also?

3.  The power brake booster to the manifold. My old one is stamped as being 11/32.

The auto stores around me are pathetic and I need to order the right hose sizes...

Appreciate any info...
Sorry, I am not sure I recall the actual hose diameters, but here goes my best recollection. Most Mustang suppliers (NPD, CJ, Mustang Unlimited, etc) carry repro vacuum hoses for the carb, manifold, air cleaner, distributor vacuum control valve, etc, the diagram below has the color striping these hoses have the repeating "MX" markings some of them. I am thinking these hoses are 1/8 or 3/16" " ID. There are also the two (manual trans) or four (automatic) hoses that attach to the distribution block on the firewall, two are also 1/8" or 3/16" ID and the other two are 1/4 ID".

The brake booster vacuum hose is 11/32" ID.

A/C vacuum lines are even smaller, I am guessing they are 1/32" ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first question is you didn't say if your distributor is single or dual diaphragm. The top sketch in the previous post is not correct for a dual diaphragm but the bottom lone looks like it is.

As for getting the correct hose, it's far simpler to buy the hose "kits" from say NPD and they have pretty colored stripes on them too!!. Failing that, measure the nipple sizes, but remember they are larger of course, i.e. if the nipple measures 3/16" dia. the then tube will be 1/8th or 5/32", you get the idea.

The one below, is for dual diaphragm and ram air, but the distributor part is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rackerm and Stanglover,

Kaching goes the wallet!

I did a very recent post about heater hoses.  I didn't realize until recent that there are "correct" yellow stripe hoses.

Now I see there are colored hose kits for these vacuum lines.  Doh!

I bought the hose kit for my Ram Air hood. Now what do I do?  arrrghh...  

I thought all of these were just hoses to get at the local auto supply.  I didn't realize I could be in for another $100.00!

By the way, single diaphragm.  (MSD replacement)  I'd never heard of a dual until I googled it.

Ok, makes sense on sizes I suppose.  If I measure the vacuum advance as 3/16, then 5/32 would be the correct hose size.

Rackerm was thinking like me mentioning 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4.  So, this is actually incorrect?

They should be 5/32, 7/32, 9/32 , and 7/64?

Ok good, but don't cheap out and buy windshield washer rubber hose (or let some salesman sell you it). It will likely collapse under vacuum. Just make sure it's VACUUM hose.

Back