Vintage Pictures with 71/73 Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2Troj.JPG

This car actually ran at the long gone Eastex Dragway of Porter Texas... now its a drainage ditch for the most aspiring executives homes in my trailer park

9warh2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good friend of mine sent some pics he found of his brother's old

72 CJ Mach 1.

He mentions:

"Ray, I scanned some photos of my oldest brother’s 72 Mach 1. The first

two sheets date to 1978. The third sheet is June 1980 after it was painted

an incorrect shade of gold. On the first sheet, note the Racer Rick ( aka

Ricky Racer) exhaust exiting in front of the rear tire and the vinyl top

that everyone hates."

While he is correct - many Mustangs were modified just like this back in the

70's through the early 80's.

Jeff's Car_r1_Page_1.jpg

Jeff's Car_r1_Page_2.jpg

Jeff's Car_r1_Page_3.jpg

and just if you're interested - here's a pic of one of my friend's killer rides:

Joes 71 Charger.jpg

Ray

Me and "old boots" back in the 70's. Livin' large in Southern California at the time...

And me and the car again in the perm-tastic mid-80's. Diggin' those snake-skins, man!

And finally as a fat old man in the mid 2000's...

1974 (email).jpg

1988 (email).jpg

2005.jpg

No country music for me...hair bands all the way!
Hey Kit,

Found a pic of one of my gigs for you. Hair, band and snake skins all in one pic. :)

picture-26a.jpg

Back in the late 1980's my parents traveled over the pond to the US to Washington State to visit one of Dad's friends who had left Australia to make the US his home back in the 1950's.

I took the opportunity to ask them to find a Mustang parts retailer to pick up a few parts that I wanted for the '70 Mach 1 that I owned back then.

Here are some late 1980's photo's they bought back. My Dad passed away a few years before I bought my '72 Mustang, but it's pretty cool having these pics with him looking at a yellow fastback not dissimilar to the one I own now - it's kinda like even though he never got to see my car, in a way he did get to see it .

UmXgsQz.jpg

EPmqQXQ.jpg

And this one with my Mum in the background (she's still going strong, now at age 84)

3KzZ7wT.jpg

This is me with my long gone 72 Mustang Mach 1 in gold glow and long hair! It was not until I dug thes old pictures out did I realize that I was a member of the "backwards spoiler" club. It was an option I forgot to order so I bought it at the dealer and installed myself. What can I say, I was 19 then and just had no idea it was wrong. I was more concerned with drilling holes in my trunk and getting that wrong!

The girl in the picture was my girl friend who later became my wife. She is still my wife and best friend!

image.jpg

This photo was taken the day I picked up my ordered 72 Mach 1 from the dealer in Denison, TX. It happened to be the day I graduated on May 19, 1972.

I paid for the car myself but all my friends thought my parents gave it to me because it came on graduation day. It cost me around $86.00 a month for three years. Note the factory white walls and no spoiler. It was ordered with 351 2V, PS, PB, Sports Interior, gold glow metallic paint, tape stripes, A/C, AM-8 Track, and tinted windows. It was a great looking car.

image.jpg

Here's one from my introduction thread. My first 73 Mach 1, I was 16 and it was 1985. I'm trying to fix the leaking power steering hose.

attachment.php

I actually have a free day today, and since it's snowing outside I think I'll dig up some more pics and try to get them posted here and make a thread for my current Mach.

Hey Mike, I kinda like the whitwalls with the 2-piece "Action-Styled" ( Ford's words, not mine...) hubcaps. Gives it a real and authentic 70's look, not like today where every mach 1 you see is now magically sporting magnums, white letters, side stripes, front and rear spoilers, ram air and tutone hood paint.

Hey Mike, I kinda like the whitwalls with the 2-piece "Action-Styled" ( Ford's words, not mine...) hubcaps. Gives it a real and authentic 70's look, not like today where every mach 1 you see is now magically sporting magnums, white letters, side stripes, front and rear spoilers, ram air and tutone hood paint.
Yeah but back then I hated them but could not afford anything else. I kicked myself for not ordering the other sport type hubcaps. I did not have a good salesman when I was picking out options. I was definitely on a budget. The only major thing was that spoiler that I thought was ordered but left out. That was how I ended up getting it on backwards! That was the only thing I ever changed or added to the car other than dual exhaust later. That was an ordeal in itself. The guy installing the exhaust set the back seat on fire when the torch put a hole in the floor pan. I was the one who spotted it while it was on the rack. Got a new back seat from them and the new car smell was gone forever!

I remember going to the dealer lot at night to measure the spoilers on the new Mach 1's on the lot. I just did not notice the thin side of the spoiler facing rear. Logic told me that it cut the wind so it went forward I guess. I never noticed that until I came to this site and found out. Oh well that old 72 is likely not around any more.

Back in the fall of 81 two friends and I drove the Mach-1 up to the Dallas regional Shelby meet to see the cars and hang out with the old Mustang club (M.O.A.) from Houston.

If I can find the box of photos, I took quite a bit of pictures.

Still have the long hair, and the car, so I guess I did well.

fall81shelbymeetcopy_zps5192ff06.jpg

Back in the fall of 81 two friends and I drove the Mach-1 up to the Dallas regional Shelby meet to see the cars and hang out with the old Mustang club (M.O.A.) from Houston.

If I can find the box of photos, I took quite a bit of pictures.

Still have the long hair, and the car, so I guess I did well.

Good for you on both counts! I am debating on going a little shaggy after I retire after almost 40 years of compliance of a strict hair code. Wait, it might not work because there is a very thin crop up there after all those years! Will have to think more on that one.

Anyway, I would love to see more vintage photos. I have a few more that I will post if I can find them. It is nice to see these old photos of our cars in the day with the people that owned them.

Better Shot of my Mach-1 at the SAAC meet in 81

mach1fall81saacmeet2_zpsb71fb82b.jpg

And the one that started me on the road to my Mach -1, my first Mustang 1973 Sportsroof 351C with FMX.

73fastbackMustang1978_zps3a33693e.jpg

Unfortunately my bright red 73 seemed to be jinxed, getting hit on two different occasions by two different 76 Buick Skylarks. (I hate them to this day) Both had run red lights, and the second accident put the car in the body shop for over three months.

The story gets longer and worse, with building a motor, and collecting parts to turn the car into a street machine, none of which would go well, leaving me with a lot of expensive 351 4V engine parts...I parked it, hoping to take another shot at fixing it up, but my gut feeling was nothing would ever go right with this particular car.

Two people from Australia came to TX with a ship container looking for TX cars and parts, the 73 sailed off to down under where I hope the current owner has much better luck than I had with it.

The bright side, I found my Mach-1 shortly after having such bad luck with the first Mustang, and despite a rather long nap in the garage, has had much better luck.

Back