Vinyl top expanded

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

Is it possible to put on a new vinyl top that stretches all the way to the doors and covers the A pillar as well, thus creating a completely black top?

There will probably be trim issues. Anybody done this?

Cheers,

Vincent.

Here is pic of my Mach 1 and yes the A pillars are covered by the vinyl. The vinyl on the sides goes under the roof rail and is sealed with strip calk. I am lucky I have zero rust under my top. There were after market tops that came down and around the rear window also. There was one here in my area that really looked factory. Had some kind of Texas name on it cannot remember. I have looked to see if maybe there was a special model for a DSO in Texas like the California Specials or High Country Specials but have never found anything. I had a couple pictures of the full vinyl tops but lost them on the crashed computer.

Well....

pics of my car before I had it.

The vinyl goes all the way to the drip rail trim and to the quarter window. The is special molded stainless or aluminum trim (don't remember which off hand) that covered the edge of the vinyl on the quarter.

I've only found pics of three fastbacks with this type trim. Once is mine, another is on the forum and the third has a gap on the roof in the vinyl.

Just google '1971 mustang vinyl roof'

71_1.jpg

71_2.jpg

Thanks for the photos guys. Mine is a grande though so will need slightly different shape of vinyl. Surely the reproduction is oversized so it can be cut to size?

The repro item might not be big enough. not sure how that is prepped. But, there are auto trim shops that can do custom tops, probably use the same type of material.

Back