Volt gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with replacing the Amp.gauge to aftermarket volt gauge (center console/3 gauges)?

Best looking / combination / matching with the original gauges.

Rocketman can convert/rebuilt the gauges but its too expensive(shipping cost 2 times+converting the gauges)

Thanks,

Eddy

:p

I don't know what I would've done without Rocketman. I had my tach refurbished and it works better than it ever did stock as well as integrating with the EFI easily.

I actually contemplated replacing the stock speedo and tach with Autometer units - it would've involved some serious butchering. The only other option was Dakota Digital, but way overpriced and looks like digital poo. Somehow I found Rocketman and was sorted out in no time - love the design of the stock gauges, they're beautiful!

Gonna send my fuel gauge out for recal in the next week or so, that's the last gauge that needs attention.

Eddy-

email me, we can work out shipping using parcel post or 1st class, uninsured, etc.
I didn't know you did this. I would have sent mine in with the tach.

Can you describe how the guage works after the conversion. The description on the web site isn't clear to me.

will e,

RCCI converts the amp meter to a volt meter with 2 wires to hook up. One goes to a switched 12 volt source and the other to ground. The two wires that originally were used for the amp meter are no longer needed. Only difference looking at the gauge is that the needle is all the way to the left now and when the ignition is on it swings to the center and slightly past center while charging. Its a pretty cool mod to use if you go to a one wire alternator and you get rid of the voltage regulator. As far as the internal mods to the gauge not sure how RCCI does that. The gauge looks exactly the same as the original

-jbojo

IMG_2585.JPG

Jbojo, thanks for the info. Do you have a shot of what it looks like when it is charging? And maybe another shot of it when you have the engine off, the lights on and it is discharging?

My alt meter doesn't work at all. When I converted to gauges I didn't understand the whole 'shunt' idea and was dumbfounded by the wiring diagram. I think at some point I may have hooked it up wrong and blow it. Hard to tell. I have tried several times to wire it to work and have had no luck.

So a better functioning gauge is preferable to a non-functioning gauge.

Jbojo, thanks for the info. Do you have a shot of what it looks like when it is charging? And maybe another shot of it when you have the engine off, the lights on and it is discharging?

My alt meter doesn't work at all. When I converted to gauges I didn't understand the whole 'shunt' idea and was dumbfounded by the wiring diagram. I think at some point I may have hooked it up wrong and blow it. Hard to tell. I have tried several times to wire it to work and have had no luck.

So a better functioning gauge is preferable to a non-functioning gauge.
will e,

I can post pics this weekend when hopefully I have the motor running. If the motor isn't running I can fake it by using a battery charger. I'll post with just ignition on not running, ignition on with lights and engine on charging. This mod to the amp meter took me about 5 mins to wire up.

-jbojo

So overall it works for ya? I am running blind now.
So far I am liking it. I haven't tried it with all the scenarios that you asked about earlier though. What I do like though is that all the needles are to the left now when everything is off. Originally the center gage needle was always in the middle all the time.

will e,

Noticed on another thread that you got your gauges working. Do you still need pics of the voltmeter?

-jbojo
Yep, gauges are all working except this one.
will e

Here are the pics you wanted:

1st ignition on

2nd With lights on battery draining

3rd Charging. I used a battery charger to simulate the motor running.

-jbojo

IMG_2594[1].JPG

IMG_2599[1].JPG

IMG_2600[1].JPG

Just bringing this back up for great service from the TheRktmn. Sent my gauge off last Saturday and got it back on Friday. Nicely packaged up and ready to install. Gonna try to get it installed this weekend.

Back