w/s wiper circuit troubleshooting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Interior gutted, fuse panel disconnected and dash removed for cowl vent repair "experiment".

Wipers worked once since I bought the car, nothing since. Figured I would go direct from the battery to the motor and rule out the switch. Assuming the motor is grounded I figured this would be ok. I touched all four motor wires to the 12 volts coming directly from the battery, nothing. My wiring diagram said a red wire was the hot wire. I had no red wire, so I checked them all, and like I said,nothing happened, not even sparks and smoke which was a good thing Sounds like I have a bad motor?:(

could be paint on the ground wire from the motor.

the body is ground.

see the little copper tab? that gives the body ground connection the bolt that goes in that mount connects the ground to the body so you want to clean that connection really well

100_1247_zps0298aa6f.jpg

also the wiper motor should have 4 connections. blue/white/red/black

Yes, the body is the ground. Had a similar problem

and remember something about the 'internal return switch'

had to be set properly. Has something to do with first

"parking" the blades. There may also be an internal

thermal fuse which I remember tripping by randomly

connecting the wires to a power source. My motor

works fine now.

mike

Yes, the body is the ground. Had a similar problem

and remember something about the 'internal return switch'

had to be set properly. Has something to do with first

"parking" the blades. There may also be an internal

thermal fuse which I remember tripping by randomly

connecting the wires to a power source. My motor

works fine now.

mike
The thermal fuse resets, doesn't it? I half-assed, ( it was late in the day), scraped the paint from the accessable section of the grounding strap, and still nothing. I had no continuity between a good ground and the place I cleaned, but if I stuck the probe into the hole I had a light. I am thinking I may have to try a better cleaning job. I even thought it the motor may have overheated by the looks of the paint condition on the trans (gear) end. I removed the cover and saw a wheel and a worm gear with grease on it. That all looked ok.

Ground to the copper strap and positive to the white wire. Should run.

[/quote

I think the PO slopped paint on anything that was not moving. I tried to get a ground on the strap, nada. Removed the motor, disassembled the base from the motor, removed the rubber mount/ground strap and cleaned it. After several confirmations I had a good ground on the bench I hooked the motor to the battery, it worked!!!!!!!!! Reinstalled the motor in the car and hooked the arm up, and success!!!!! Now come over and help me find that friggin' clip that I dropped..........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help..........

[/quote

I think the PO slopped paint on anything that was not moving. I tried to get a ground on the strap, nada. Removed the motor, disassembled the base from the motor, removed the rubber mount/ground strap and cleaned it. After several confirmations I had a good ground on the bench I hooked the motor to the battery, it worked!!!!!!!!! Reinstalled the motor in the car and hooked the arm up, and success!!!!! Now come over and help me find that friggin' clip that I dropped..........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help..........

Last edited by a moderator:

[/quote

[/quote

Wow! we have posting issues. There was nothing there when I went to reply. The important thig is ,IT WORKS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back