What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Saturday

1 DS 1/4 butt weld

Got the quarter off today..Was a bitch to do it nicely so the quarter can be reused.. But we made it happen.. Decided to scuff up the inner structure & give it a fresh coat of rust bullet...So hopefully by next week should have the new one welded on..I have a possible deal on selling it but first cash gets it Looking for $550.00 Totally usable just gonna need some cleanup & a few small dents removed..Not a big deal.. Oh & to add to Boss1Ray's question about doing a full otr vs an aftermarket skin..Having the entire qtr off allows you to fully remove any rust in the inner struture & then protect it with rust bullet..Just like in my pictures..Something you can't do just sectioning in a skin..

Very Nice work Q

Oh yah it took me 8 hours to fit and weld the DS 1/4 top.

so a full 1/4 would be the way to go if you can get them.
Nice Job Mark..... are you still interested in a Mach One hood? Might have a line on one.

Just gotta figure out how to get the bottom edge fastened to the top of the rocker panel, since I won't be able to get the welder in there once the panel's in place.
No way around it.In order to weld the bottom edge the qtr glass & mount needs to come out..If you tack it from the outside..Your gonna have to sculpt carve the weld (which will weaken it crack down the road) then make the body line in mud..:s
I had thought about that as well, with the opening right there just inside the door opening... not to mention there's no doubt I missed a couple places with the Rust Bullet because of the quarter window mount as well. No worries - that'll be the first thing I do Saturday morning [take out the quarter window mount and hit the missed spots with RB].

Thanks again for keeping me on track, Q!

Nice Job Mark..... are you still interested in a Mach One hood? Might have a line on one

Yah Ken if i can find a decent one.

Did you get the car out yet?

You must be getting the itch

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Job Mark..... are you still interested in a Mach One hood? Might have a line on one

Yah Ken if i can find a decent one.

Did you get the car out yet?

You must be getting the itch
Well I was going to take the car out yesterday.....but I've got 2 flat tires so I have to either take my compressor down or put the Bullitts rims on the 73 to get her home.

I'll see if I can get any pics of the hood for ya.

My day just got better!

A friend of mine picked up a drive train for his project and the guy give him a bunch of parts with it.

So I scored a set of 71- 4v heads and intake with the stud and rods for free!

Now I know how Mike felt when he scored his set, less the creepy spider of course.
Sweet welcome to the 4v club Marc.:cool:

My day just got better!

A friend of mine picked up a drive train for his project and the guy give him a bunch of parts with it.

Now I know how Mike felt when he scored his set, less the creepy spider of course.
Well buddy drop the head off and I am bummed, they ended up being 1970 2v heads with a 1970 4v intake.

Someone once told me wanting is more exciting than having, so i am back to wanting.

Ooooh... sexy. I'm normally not a big fan of more than 5-spokes on classic cars, but 'verts are different and I'm excited to see how they look on yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a new set of wheels for the droptop. I'm going for a new look.

18X9 and 18X10

Look out Mike! (luxstang) :D
Nice Jeff !! welcome to the club..your gonna love the way the car rides on 18's You saw the ones I bought for mine ? Pretty much same size's

Fgallery1-9.jpg

I've been looking at new wheels & tires for my vette very hard to find something resonable

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to the new wheel / tire combination. My plan is Nitto NT555 tires in 255/45/18 on the front and 295/45/18 on the rear. I may not be able to go as low as Mike's car, We've been e-mailing ideas and I think it'll be close. We'll see!

Took the cover off of the 73 put the top down and went for a ride!!! Put the summer tires back on the Bullitt ..... I know most likely going to have at least one more snow storm....but I couldn't stand the look of the 05 GT rims (winter tires) on it anymore.

My day just got better!

Well buddy drop the head off and I am bummed, they ended up being 1970 2v heads with a 1970 4v intake.

Someone once told me wanting is more exciting than having, so i am back to wanting.
Oh man that sucks. Marc hold on to those heads. I believe they would be a improvement over the 73 2v heads.The 70 heads have a little better combustion chamber.

Took a day off yesterday. More work on the garage than the car. But at least I have more shelves for the Mach 1 parts and other fun misc tools. :p

I also cleaned out more rust on the driver's side floor pan. Beginning to remove the parts on that area. Took off the rusty emergency brake and am working on removing the steering column. :)

Took a day off yesterday. More work on the garage than the car. But at least I have more shelves for the Mach 1 parts and other fun misc tools. :p

I also cleaned out more rust on the driver's side floor pan. Beginning to remove the parts on that area. Took off the rusty emergency brake and am working on removing the steering column. :)
I've had so call car work days where my garage turned out beautifully. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.

Yesterday was our first day this year with the temp. forecasted over 80 F.

So I was off to work in the 71,and I got lots of comments while it was in the parking lot. When it was time to go home though I discovered the rearview mirror sitting on the dash. Heat to much for the glue apparently. This meant stopping at the parts store on the way home for and repair kit. When I got home remounting the mirror was a breeze in the nice weather. Sometimes even when you don't have plans to do anything to the car, ford has a better idea.

Had lunch with the directory of the Arts & Crafts Center (including the Auto Hobby Shop) today. He seems like a nice enough guy, and seemed genuinely concerned about an e-mail I sent to the manager last week. Apparently, my comment of 'if things keep going the way they are, I will be filing an IG complaint for harassment against the management of the shop' caused a few butts to pucker.

Well, lunch went well... he asked what I thought about how the shop should be run and why I was having such a tough time. I told him that to run the shop, he needs to talk to the manager directly and quit going through the hippy chicks in the Arts & Crafts Center (they don't care a lick about the dirty ol' shop - they just want to keep throwing pots and firing ceramics). I also told him I'm tired of being lumped into the issues the hippy chicks have with the previous manager because I'm one of his close friends.

There was a lot more discussion about things, and he said he understands where I'm coming from. He also assured me that my project is not a problem and doesn't want me to give up on the shop (contrary to past comments from leadership relayed to me by the manager... and yeah - he still wants my money). We shook hands and went our separate ways - no blood, foul. He did actually change his approach when he discovered that I'm actually a pay grade higher than he is - which was interesting.

It was also a good thing I had a small bowl of chili with my club sandwich - it made getting rid of all the smoke he blew up my ass a lot easier.

So, I guess that means I should be drama-free at the shop for the near future. We'll see, I guess.

So, I guess that means I should be drama-free at the shop for the near future. We'll see, I guess.
Dang. I enjoyed the occasional popcorn breaks reading about the shop drama. I'm glad it went well & you'll be able to do more on the car. They should want your money. It goes into the MWR pot to fund more projects.

Back