What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,

So when did the guys at Ford put that kind of time in? I was fitting my trunk pan in today and was agonizing why things weren't laying flat and on the lines. I then looked over the parts car and noticed huge gaps between the inner fenderwells where things were spot welded. buckles across the trunk pan to rear floor convergence. I'm thinking the #1 PART AT FORD WAS SEAM SEALER!! But still spent the entire day trying to line it up better than they did.

Looks nice Scott, can't wait to see the finished body work.
Thanks S ! me & you both..

That will be the most perfectly aligned mustang...EVER. Excellent work Scott!
Thanks D.. Well I hope so..after all this work it's gonna be real close !

Scott,

So when did the guys at Ford put that kind of time in? I was fitting my trunk pan in today and was agonizing why things weren't laying flat and on the lines. I then looked over the parts car and noticed huge gaps between the inner fenderwells where things were spot welded. buckles across the trunk pan to rear floor convergence. I'm thinking the #1 PART AT FORD WAS SEAM SEALER!! But still spent the entire day trying to line it up better than they did.
Seam sealer Job 1 ...I think back then fit & finish wasn't so important as it is today.. They didn't expect these cars to be around as long as they have been. It's amazing what you see fit & finish wise when you get a little bit educated on the subject..

It's that level of attention that seperates a nice car from a great car.

Great work Scott and Mark!
You nailed it J !!

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY Nice, Q! Truly an inspiration. Looks like you had to do some fab work on the trunk surrounds where they meet up with the tail light panel as well - awesome! Makes me feel better about mine, seeing how it's coming out much like yours.

Can't wait to see that thing shiny!

I finally got around to taking the grease plugs out of the upper control arms and installing 90 degree grease fittings, what a pain. Now anyone can grease it without the special tool.

Last night Bill and I were welding the old rear gas tank support to the new trunk pan and kept blowing through the metal. After many attempts and several holes we called it a night. Today he calls me first thing and says he thought about it half the night and figured our wire was too large and the speed too high. Little did he know I already had Mel headed to get some smaller wire and he was quite upset waiting for her return sinceI had already removed the .035. Told him I slept great and wasn't all that conerned about it. When she did though it was all work. You can never have too many good friends in this world. And Bill and his and my wife are QUALITY!! So please, no comments about the shade tree! :)

DSCN1459.JPG

Last night Bill and I were welding the old rear gas tank support to the new trunk pan and kept blowing through the metal. After many attempts and several holes we called it a night. Today he calls me first thing and says he thought about it half the night and figured our wire was too large and the speed too high. Little did he know I already had Mel headed to get some smaller wire and he was quite upset waiting for her return sinceI had already removed the .035. Told him I slept great and wasn't all that conerned about it. When she did though it was all work. You can never have too many good friends in this world. And Bill and his and my wife are QUALITY!! So please, no comments about the shade tree! :)
or lack there of. What a friend:s

That looks like a dandy shade-tree set-up there Mark! I see you're welding the bracket to the underside of the floor pan before installing - genius! If I didn't have a lift at my disposal, I would've probably just laid on my back and added some new holes in my shirt.

Yesterday, I began getting the driver side quarter tweaked for fit. Still working on it (and forgot my camera - nothing to see here... move along ;) :D ).

I finally got around to taking the grease plugs out of the upper control arms and installing 90 degree grease fittings, what a pain. Now anyone can grease it without the special tool.
I forgot about doing that. I switched mine out back in the late 70's. Your post help me recall that was a pain switching them out, but sure make's it a lot easier to grease.

Are you using flux core wire or do you have a tank somewhere. I've been using flux core but some are adamant about converting to gas.
After finding the problems with a stiff breeze and the gas set up, I went to flux core and have to admit it seems to work out better for me. I know there are those that swear by only using gas!

Spent the entire week working on the trunk floor pan replacement I realize the time it takes to do things right. Still don't have the pan in but what's done is in great shape!!

Got the driver side quarter panel ON! It only took me yesterday and most of today to get the tail section lined up. Wound up drilling out the spot welds on the new piece to make it fit right - now I know what everybody means about the repops sometimes not fitting quite right (been lucky so far with minor tweaks). After that, I had the door jam all lined up and ready to go in about 15 minutes (which freaked me right the Hell out).

Here's a 3/4 shot:

577854_418897591454498_100000027814872_1526546_296376800_n.jpg

Straight on:

557712_418897691454488_100000027814872_1526547_1283388187_n.jpg

Here's the PITA tail end. The welded on portion that runs to the drop-offs was kanked at a weird-ass angle that was SO not what it was supposed to be. Once I popped the spot welds, I was able to squeak it in there where it needed to go after some major trimming.

526782_418897781454479_100000027814872_1526548_1870740513_n.jpg

Just gotta clean it up around the edges, drop a bead along the top seam, and grind it all down and tackle the body work later in the driveway.

Looking good guys! The only thing I did mustang wise was talk about them a lot this weekend...you know, game planning for what to do next and what engine to start sourcing for the 65. What a PITA having to start over with the engine plans!

Today my son and I replaced the fuel filter and replaced rubber fuel line for section from fuel pump to carburetor.

Your an inspiration Eric a real motivator. Thanks for your postings I'm sure there are a lot of people like me that don't post very often go directly to this post just to see your progress. Keep up the good work

Thanks! I was gettin' worried there for awhile when the tail end of that quarter panel was kicking my ass for so long. There were points I was wishing I'd just sucked it up and gotten full quarters like Q did - but once the light went on and I popped the repop spot welds, things went a lot smoother. I figured, "Hey - it's mine now, right?" ;)

Back