What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved to Florida yesterday and worked on cleaning up the block and pistons and crankshaft and everything I wanted to work on.

Then I woke up and realized I was still in the never-ending winter of northern Nevada and walked into the freezing garage and watched the snow pour down through the window. Spring my ass..... :mad:

Doc
Doc suck it up get a heater LOL I should talk I can't seem to finish my bathroom remodel.:mad: Haven't touched Mach in a month.:s

"Doc suck it up get a heater LOL I should talk I can't seem to finish my bathroom remodel.:mad: Haven't touched Mach in a month..."

The heater is the greatest thing I have put in the garage since the compressor. However it did not see to accelerate the project, as that was in 2003 and the car is still not done!

2003_0211_233807AA.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what a day I have kicked,cussed, threw wrenches, etc.......The 408 has yet to turn over.:mad: Not sure but we think we have the wrong flywheel, or some issue with a wrong starter for the stroker kit. Will not know until I can contact California on Monday where it all came from. But what we did get done: Radiator installed, new plug wires cut and on, all hoses installed, new throttle cable, antifreeze and fuel in( high quality 110 octane) @ 8.25 a gallon, starter installed and removed:mad: new wheel sizes double checked with tire sizing tool.

Well what a day I have kicked,cussed, threw wrenches, etc.......The 408 has yet to turn over.:mad: Not sure but we think we have the wrong flywheel, or some issue with a wrong starter for the stroker kit. Will not know until I can contact California on Monday where it all came from. But what we did get done: Radiator installed, new plug wires cut and on, all hoses installed, new throttle cable, antifreeze and fuel in( high quality 110 octane) @ 8.25 a gallon, starter installed and removed:mad: new wheel sizes double checked with tire sizing tool.
3 steps foreward only 1 step back !..Toe the the line Tn ! Your paying your dues....Your close ::thumb::

3 steps foreward only 1 step back !..Toe the the line Tn ! Your paying your dues....Your close ::thumb::
Hell if I pay anymore I'm not going to be able to afford air to breathe.:s

What did I do today? Realised that I am definitely not a mechanic, that's what.

3 months ago I replaced my 2bbl 500 Holley and manifold with a 4bbl manifold and new 575 Holley Street Avenger. Noticed an immediate power increase at higher revs, but low revs performance was rather shoddy.

The first thing I had noticed when I put the new carb on was the timing mark was way out on the balancer. I run a Pertronix Ignitor so really the timing should have been exactly the same, but here it was running at somewhere over 20 BTC . And when I dialled it back to the usual 6 - 10 degrees the car had no pick-up at all. So I set the timing about back to where it was originally and in my head I had talked myself into believing that the outer ring of the harmonic balancer had slipped on the inner and that I needed a new balancer.

Anyway, today I thought I'd just give the timing a couple of degrees shift to see if it made a difference, and this time I remembered to disconnect the vacuum advance hose first (which I foolishly hadn't done the first time), and straight away the timing at idle dropped straight down to 6 on the balancer. First thoughts were that there was something wrong with the vacuum advance unit for it to be so active at idle. Did a search on the net and stumbled across by accident a site where some guy had had the same problem as me. Turned out that he had the vacuum hose connected to the manifold rather than the vacuum fitting at the carburettor venturi, and by golly when I went out to check my set up I had done exactly the same thing!

Moved the hose to the right spot, and now pretty even power across the whole range! Feel like a bit of dunce, especially after leaving it that way for three whole months (luckily there was no evidence of pinging) - I really should pay someone who knows what they are doing for work like this......

118_FacePalm_picard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What did I do today? Realised that I am definitely not a mechanic, that's what.

3 months ago I replaced my 2bbl 500 Holley and manifold with a 4bbl manifold and new 575 Holley Street Avenger. Noticed an immediate power increase at higher revs, but low revs performance was rather shoddy.

The first thing I had noticed when I put the new carb on was the timing mark was way out on the balancer. I run a Pertronix Ignitor so really the timing should have been exactly the same, but here it was running at somewhere over 20 BTC . And when I dialled it back to the usual 6 - 10 degrees the car had no pick-up at all. So I set the timing about back to where it was originally and in my head I had talked myself into believing that the outer ring of the harmonic balancer had slipped on the inner and that I needed a new balancer.

Anyway, today I thought I'd just give the timing a couple of degrees shift to see if it made a difference, and this time I remembered to disconnect the vacuum advance hose first (which I foolishly hadn't done the first time), and straight away the timing at idle dropped straight down to 6 on the balancer. First thoughts were that there was something wrong with the vacuum advance unit for it to be so active at idle. Did a search on the net and stumbled across by accident a site where some guy had had the same problem as me. Turned out that he had the vacuum hose connected to the manifold rather than the vacuum fitting at the carburettor venturi, and by golly when I went out to check my set up I had done exactly the same thing!

Moved the hose to the right spot, and now pretty even power across the whole range! Feel like a bit of dunce, especially after leaving it that way for three whole months (luckily there was no evidence of pinging) - I really should pay someone who knows what they are doing for work like this......

118_FacePalm_picard.jpg
Nah, no fun in that! Thanks for sharing the story though, folks like me learned something... if I can only remember when the time comes:huh:

UPDATE: New CORRECT fly wheel being balanced and shipped out (at no cost) YAHOOO, clutch assembly still being test fit. :( now to remove the INCORRECT flywheel and return) at my cost but supposedly will be refunded, we will see.

UPDATE: New CORRECT fly wheel being balanced and shipped out (at no cost) YAHOOO, clutch assembly still being test fit. :( now to remove the INCORRECT flywheel and return) at my cost but supposedly will be refunded, we will see.
Sweetness! Now for that clutch...anything new on that?
supposedly still trying to get the angle for the push rod correct

Dropped the engine off at the machine shop today. Keep 'em crossed that the block, crank, and con-rods are all still good. Still haven't decided what to do with the heads, except to see if they're still good for now.

Got my Super Suspension Kit in from Laurel Mountain Mustang on Friday (but the guys at the Hobby Shop forgot to mention that until yesterday). The tie-rod ends are on back-order, but everything else is there... which is fine since I still need to get the front clip swapped in anyway.

Hey 4x4. I just wanted to say I ordered suspension kit from LMM 2 years ago and my inner? tie-rods were on back order. I waited 2 1/2 months and finally canceled them. So don't be surprised if they don't show up. I was very disappointed. :mad: A buddy got some in 2 days. Mark

Back