What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped the engine off at the machine shop today. Keep 'em crossed that the block, crank, and con-rods are all still good. Still haven't decided what to do with the heads, except to see if they're still good for now.

Got my Super Suspension Kit in from Laurel Mountain Mustang on Friday (but the guys at the Hobby Shop forgot to mention that until yesterday). The tie-rod ends are on back-order, but everything else is there... which is fine since I still need to get the front clip swapped in anyway.
I ordered outer shock towers last may and still have not got them yet!!

Hey 4x4. I just wanted to say I ordered suspension kit from LMM 2 years ago and my inner? tie-rods were on back order. I waited 2 1/2 months and finally canceled them. So don't be surprised if they don't show up. I was very disappointed. :mad: A buddy got some in 2 days. Mark
I remembered reading that in another thread and that was one of the reasons I balked at going through them. I would've loved to have ordered a similar kit from Don or CJ Pony Parts, but they don't offer complete kits like that, and I didn't see how I could put a list together of all the same parts for anywhere close to the price I got it for. Total order (including absolutely everything front and rear, with 1" drop coils, 5-spring pack, strut rods, front and rear sway bars, and a Monte Carlo bar) was just over $1,000 with free shipping. Seemed like a monster deal to me.

I'll keep an eye on the tie-rod ends... I don't think I'll actually be ready for them for at least another 3 weeks or so, but if they don't show up by the time I'm getting the new front clip on, I'll beat 'em up and go from there.

I did however, get my sheet metal from Don... and he was most expedient in shipping it out and packed it like it would survive going to the Moon and back (Props to ya, Don!). I will definitely be ordering a lot more stuff through him.

But, I'm pretty much building a new car around a handful of good original parts, so I'll be trying to get the best deals I can on what I need. My spreadsheet (shopping list) has me in the neighborhood of $24K when it's all said and done... and that's just hard-parts to put the car back together. That doesn't include labor for things I can't do, my bill at the Auto Hobby Shop, tools I'll have bought, or even a paint-job at this point. That's pretty much just to get the car running again and looking like a '71 Mustang fastback - oh yeah... shipping costs not computed either.

I'm beginning to think I should've just sucked it up and bought the pristine '71 I saw at the RV stealership for "only" $19,500 (identical to what mine will be like, but with Magnum 500s). LOL!!

4x4 If I could do it all over again I think I would spend the money on a car already done. If your young it's good practice for future projects but I'm getting a little old to be rebuilding cars.:) Good luck. Mark

Uncovered mine to show it to 72rcode who is in town at his cabin for a few days. Going to meet him and his wife Thursday for dinner. Oh and my new flywheel shipped out of Cali today:D possibility of getting it by the weekend

Got all the cylinders mic-ed - great news is that they are not out of round or tapered hardly at all. Most had a taper of .002 or less, and the worst one was only .004.

mic-ing the cylinders.JPG

Using the micrometer.JPG

I was always thinking that the odometer reading of 78K really meant 178K, but there's so little wear on the motor that I'm thinking it might really be 78K.

Got all the cylinders mic-ed - great news is that they are not out of round or tapered hardly at all. Most had a taper of .002 or less, and the worst one was only .004.

I was always thinking that the odometer reading of 78K really meant 178K, but there's so little wear on the motor that I'm thinking it might really be 78K.
Check out those action shots LOL .

Just like out west, "swimming pools and movie stars"

Good work Doc

4x4 If I could do it all over again I think I would spend the money on a car already done. If your young it's good practice for future projects but I'm getting a little old to be rebuilding cars.:) Good luck. Mark
LOL!! I know what'cha mean. Looking back, I probably would've picked a different car as well - but this one was local (San Angelo is no-kidding in the middle of Nowhere, Texas) and cheap enough.

I'm 43, and last year I almost caved and bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS. Looking back, I'm happier without the more than $600/month car payment, and I'm fulfilling a boyhood dream - unfortunately, it's a little more 'some assembly required' than I would've liked. But at least I'll know everything about the car and can honestly say that I literally built it myself. Besides, everybody around here has a new Camaro these days - but there are less than 10 '71-'73s in-town... and I know of only 3 that are actually running (for now).

I'm pretty sure this will be my last project of such depth - even though it's also technically my first. All of my 4x4s and other cars were "bolt-on accessory simple" compared to this one.

LOL, Mike. Wise guy. :p

Just like out west, "swimming pools and movie stars"

Good work Doc
Thanks, Roy. Hope to get all the tedious measuring done today!

Last edited by a moderator:
observed the transmission leak from under the tarp.

its now 4 months since i touched it.

Installed the Classic Air, except for the condenser..radiator support isn't on yet. sanded and painted the dash. Taking tomorrow off to help the wife in Charleston. Also going to look at a 20 foot trailer load of NOS mustang parts from a shop that closed up 10 years ago.

working on putting the dash back in, hope to finish that tomorrow and get the steering column back in. I want to get it mobile so I can use my lift to finish a few things under the car.

worked on my leveling jig so I can hold my vert straight to replace the inner rockers. I think I am spending way too much time on this then just working on the car!!!!LOL

Installed the Classic Air, except for the condenser..radiator support isn't on yet. sanded and painted the dash. Taking tomorrow off to help the wife in Charleston. Also going to look at a 20 foot trailer load of NOS mustang parts from a shop that closed up 10 years ago.
Hey Don 29163, any chance you could post some pics of this? I'm looking to aftermarket my A/C system also. I'd like to see the inside setup, is it a complete new box for the evaporator and heater? Also, is there an intake from the cowl for venting, like to original system or no?

Hey Don 29163, any chance you could post some pics of this? I'm looking to aftermarket my A/C system also. I'd like to see the inside setup, is it a complete new box for the evaporator and heater? Also, is there an intake from the cowl for venting, like to original system or no?
This model specific "Perfect Fit™" system allows you to retrofit an original, standard, heat-only 1971-73 Mustang-Cougar with full air-conditioning. Engineered specifically to use the original 1971-73 Mustang-Cougar heater controls and dash louvers while providing you with powerful air conditioning, heat on the floor, and dehumidified defrost. The air conditioning and defrost connect to the original heater-defrost diffusers.

This model specific "Perfect Fit™" system allows you to retrofit an original, standard, heat-only 1971-73 Mustang-Cougar with full air-conditioning. Engineered specifically to use the original 1971-73 Mustang-Cougar heater controls and dash louvers while providing you with powerful air conditioning, heat on the floor, and dehumidified defrost. The air conditioning and defrost connect to the original heater-defrost diffusers.

Hmm, sounds like a nice option, be nice to see some installed pics though

Back