What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the cowl of the 73 vert back together. I scraped inside the cowl sanded where I could scrubbed with soap and water, etched with phosphate solution from POR. applied two coats of POR, sprayed a coat of undercoat. I took all the wiper mechanics out blasted and sprayed with high zinc paint. Also took the wiper motor apart cleaned all the dried up grease out and reassembled. It is a bear getting all three brushes back on the armature. I added 1/4" box wire to the vents to keep the critters out of the heater box. Also added same wire to the opening coming into the heater box. No more acorns or skeletons in the heater.

Also took all the bolts out of the headers and applied antiseeze to the threads. One bolt missing have to find another header bolt.

Going to take lots of bolts to platter to have correct plating applied.

OMG This little freshen up is getting out of hand.

David

DSC_2260.JPG

DSC_2261.JPG

DSC_2264.JPG

DSC_2265.JPG

DSC_2266.JPG

OMG This little freshen up is getting out of hand.
I can think of no better place on the car that deserves preventative maintanance and/or freshening up to the smallest detail. Two thumbs way up - and a beautiful job.

-Kurt

Guy came to replace the cracked windshield. When he went to put the new one in it was the wrong glass. So I took advantage of the situation of having the windshield out over night and sanded down the cowl to remove the little bit of surface rust that was there then primed and painted it. New glass should be in today!

I went over to the body shop to look at my car's progress. The body has been color sanded, but not buffed yet. ( uh-huh, it's a single stage color. I didn't want base coat/clear coat ). The hood and rocker panels are masked for matte black painting, rear valance will be shot separately with front valance. We're thinking we may be all done by next weekend. God, there's still a ton of assembly and detail to go. this will keep me busy for a month!

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

Worked on rebuilding the proportioning valve, only to find out I could not complete the job due to a bad valve body. Looking to buy a good one!

kcmash

New leaf springs and shocks this weekend. All bolts came out easily except one of the spring bolts. It was stuck to the bushing. Drilled out the rubber and split the metal sleeve. Not fun.

Next up: sway bar end links (broke them both), back half of exhaust and gas tank.

Installed new stainless steel brake lines. Upgraded to power disk brakes. It was fun getting all the leaks to stop.

Still just giving the 73 vert a good detailing. Pulled the fenders off to get to the two screws at the bottom of the windshield A post stainless. Saw the seam sealer was coming loose dug it out pressure washed everything and coated with POR 15 and put new sealer on then sprayed undercoat on. You can tell two different people were spraying the car when painted at factory. You can see no paint on suspension or bolts so done before assembly. Right side had lots of body color paint, Left side had very little. No pics after must still be on camera.

The inner fender splash guards were in pretty good shape washed with lacquer thinner to get road tar off then blasted with walnut shells. Sprayed clear satin paint to make look new. Got it all back together with new AMK bolts that do not match the original but the pack says they are the right ones.

Polished the stainless also so it is now shiny again.

Back to working on garage 15 loads of fill dirt coming on Monday so got to be ready.

David

DSC00117.JPG

Changed gas tank & sending unit.

Repaired some pinhole rust in the rear quarter.

Polished and buffed, polished and buffed!

Got my new Exhaust Mounted! Looks and sounds great. Local shop did it for me for $100. Included all new hangers. 2 1/4" from the manifolds back, H pipe and Turbo Mufflers!

Today I removed all the primer paint and filler off the trunk lid after

I had 2 new front tires mounted and balanced from Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-245-40-18-TRIANGLE-TR968-P245-40R18-R18-97V-PERFORMANCE-TIRES/121660554248?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33097%26meid%3Df8b2ac9e4a3241eeabd62de1ba4b3f7c%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D111617737479

I have never seen so many dings dents and creases on one car!

(on the top side of the trunk lid REALLY?) lollerz

I used a 3M paint stripping disc on a grinder then hit it with a DA.

I swear this car had to be in a wrecking yard with other cars piled on

top of it!

If you need a hobby get an old car and start sanding your A off!

Definitely need to bend the hinges to get better shot lines!

A repop lid is in order here but I have more sandpaper than money :shootself:

Paul

2cp3x48.jpg

23k3qjc.jpg

17u0bo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went on a rescue mission to Dearborn and picked up a factory black 73 vert. It turned out to be in better shape that I would have thought thanks to zebart coating. No rust in the trunk just a little under the rear seat and no holes in the body. Had been in garage sitting for 13 years. Also picked up all the great parts I could haul 2 NASA hoods with locks, 2 Mach 1 deck lids, 5 consoles and a lot of other great parts. I have a different opinion of the salty north. There are some great cars and loads of parts. Car was packed and so was the truck.

Might put some up for sale after I decide my direction on some cars.

So I drove directly home about 13 hours 650 miles. I am tired.

David

DSC00156.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

Back