What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work done on my engine compartment!
Looking sharp there.

I met a guy online that is fighting getting all the chrome stuff off a 71 Boss. It was a show car when new and they literally chromed everything that could be unbolted from the car. Rear end housing, leaf springs, hinges, shock tower braces brake booster, etc. You guys needed to meet and swap out parts, lol. He has them all stripped and painted back now.

D

I spent 6 hours yesterday on the 2 post lift washing and cleaning under the car. Went to show on Saturday and got caught in downpour. First time the car was wet in 26 years. Not a restored car but an original survivor. I got a top 20 award at the show in stock class and won $50 on the drawing. My neck hurts today, lol. Camera is somewhere hiding I probably took to garage and sat down somewhere.

David

Where is this guy...where is this guy...where is this guy??? Once you start with chroming pieces you can't stop until everything looks decent, i.e. not rusty LOL!
he was in Atlanta. I ran ad in cl looking for some parts and he answered. Had two 71 Boss and had restored several before. I think car was from Texas and was a show car with all the chrome that he was removing. Chrome pieces rust also look at magnum 500 wheels and bumpers.

D

Swapped out the ancient KYB Gas a Just shocks that made the Mach ride like an F350 short bed. Put in average joe GR-2/Excels - man what a a difference. Suspension actually works and follows the road now, instead of banging around and hopping over all the bad spots.

Worked with a friend to rebuild brakes on the convertible. Help was invaluable. I learned a lot.

Should be finished by mid-week. Looking forward to putting the dash back together and driving on the road!

Then general troubleshooting of inevitable issues and lots of detailing/polishing.

Ray

David...Offshore "CHROME" on aftermarket parts might rust fast. But if you have it done professionally quality show chrome lasts a lot longer! You have to stay on the ball and take care of it!  :D No driving in rain, not even with the top down...LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pushed the 73Q out of the garage. Then I started the long "to do" list.

So I finally got to one of my pet peeves regarding the 73 side decal today. I never liked the way the decal is cut to give room around the front side markers. In doing this it actually makes the side marker stand out by having the body color around it. It just looks so generic to me.

I wiped it down with wax and grease remover, taped it up and sprayed it with 4 coats of black plasti dip. I think it's a much better look and since it's plasti dip, it's not etched in stone.

I've blacked out a few other areas on my car and am impressed with the durability of the plasti dip.

Today we drove around town with the new 4.11 gears, Since we drive at 60 mph or less all of the time we went with that ratio. By driving around town today it feels like we made the right choice with the 4.11's :)

So I finally got to one of my pet peeves regarding the 73 side decal today. I never liked the way the decal is cut to give room around the front side markers. In doing this it actually makes the side marker stand out by having the body color around it. It just looks so generic to me.

I wiped it down with wax and grease remover, taped it up and sprayed it with 4 coats of black plasti dip. I think it's a much better look and since it's plasti dip, it's not etched in stone.

I've blacked out a few other areas on my car and am impressed with the durability of the plasti dip.
Nice!

Dropped the transmission. Pulled the smoked POS clutch and flywheel. Prepped the new Ford Billet Steel flywheel and Ram clutch for install. Got tired since I’m fighting a sinus infection in the middle of summer (wtf). Should have it all back together on Sunday, got honey do list tomorrow. :(

Last evening, empty the Toploader , removed the  H-pipe  and tubes, drive shaft out.

Next will be to remove  the counter cable,  unplug  connector (reverse gear), then will be reday to pull out the Toploader for a complete check.

That is the way they came from the factory with the black. I know the sales brochures show both ways as always changes were made before SOP. My car is one owner and they sprayed the back paint around the marker light opening them put the stripe on and the marker light housing was also black. I have talked with several original car owners and theirs were black also. Not found an original owner car that was not. The paint does peel from the original because they did not sand the area. They do look much better when correct. Here is pic of original you can see the paint peeling off the fender. The stripes on original cars are all crooked and out of place also.

David

Ever since I got the 73 H code vert from California it has always ran on the hot side. The PO had put cam in and I have no idea of the spec.. Also added Eldebrock Performer 4-V to 2-V heads with a Holley 4-V carb. There is also MSD ignition. I looked for 2 hours and could not find my timing light, lol. It is probably hiding in plain site. I had backed off on timing some when last out but did not seem to make a difference. So yesterday before going down town for the cruise night and street dance I pulled the radiator off and put in the one I have for my Q code build. Had been cleaned so nothing in the tubes. Put in 50 - 50 antifreeze and distilled water.

I had already put new pressure cap on and I changed the thermostat out to a NOS Stant that I know is correct for the Cleveland. Hoses are new and not collapsing.

So I drove the 6 miles to town and sure enough it is right there almost to the H on the gauge again. It does not blow out water until you turn it off.

I am starting to suspect that the PO put the head gaskets on backwards. On a 302 / 289 you can pop the core plug out of the front of the head to check if correct but I know of no way to verify if correct on Cleveland. Does anyone know of a way to check without pulling the heads? I have fixed a couple 289 that had them put on backwards by Chevy mechanics that thought it did not matter which way they went. Same thing with them ran hotter and blew water out when you turned off.

Oh BTW I did do blown head gasket check with the CO2 checker on the radiator and no reaction so no blown gasket.

Will pull heads next my neck is out of whack right now cannot do the lifting. Getting old sucks for sure.

Rained out show today.

David

Back