What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a 302 / 289 you can pop the core plug out of the front of the head to check if correct but I know of no way to verify if correct on Cleveland. Does anyone know of a way to check without pulling the heads?

David
I have no personal experience, but maybe this will help ?

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/498940-head-gasket-backwards-351c.html
Thanks for the info. I have no idea what brand he used but will go look. I think I have new Victor or maybe Fel Pro set in garage will check to see if they are different front to back on outside. Darn gaskets are expensive hate to waste them if not the issue.

David

Replaced a bad fuel pump only to watch a 45 year old metal fuel line split. Anyone got a line on a 73Q-4V pump to carb line??

Replaced a bad fuel pump only to watch a 45 year old metal fuel line split. Anyone got a line on a 73Q-4V pump to carb line??
I would call these guys - Don at OMS referred me there and their lines are perfect. Not sure why their website doesn't list a line for a 73 - only 7172.

https://braketubes.com/

Not certain what carb you have but if you're looking for something quick and not concourse, you could always visit your local parts store and pick up a brake line with the same fitting at the pump end and fabricate the line.

kingb1973,

Don't know why some listings are leaving the 73 Mustangs out but list the 73 Cougar! 70-73 Mustang and Cougar 351C 4BL used the same fuel pump to carb line.

Not sure where in the Northwest you are located but NPD has some lines listed a little cheaper and they do have a store in  Ventura, CA. They list steel and stainless.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/line-fuel-pump-to-carburetor-carbon-steel/106931/3255

kingb1973,

Don't know why some listings are leaving the 73 Mustangs out but list the 73 Cougar! 70-73 Mustang and Cougar 351C 4BL used the same fuel pump to carb line.

Not sure where in the Northwest you are located but NPD has some lines listed a little cheaper and they do have a store in  Ventura, CA. They list steel and stainless.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/line-fuel-pump-to-carburetor-carbon-steel/106931/3255
Think I found the root of this problem. PO had changed original carb to Holley 4150. From what I have read, the fuel inlet moved from passenger side to drivers side? Original fuel line was badly bent and kinked to make it work. After carb/fuel delivery services and fuel filter changes....it just gave up.

Found this,

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13448-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Pump-To-Carburetor-351C-4V-/-BOSS-351-Holley-4150-OE-STEEL-Repro-1970-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1970-1973-Ford.html,

Not sure if that will work, or just get the one for the original and learn some bending and flaring skills. Still looking at options.

kingb1973,

Think I found the root of this problem. PO had changed original carb to Holley 4150. From what I have read, the fuel inlet moved from passenger side to drivers side? Original fuel line was badly bent and kinked to make it work. After carb/fuel delivery services and fuel filter changes....it just gave up.

Found this,

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13448-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Pump-To-Carburetor-351C-4V-/-BOSS-351-Holley-4150-OE-STEEL-Repro-1970-1973-Mercury-Cougar-/-1970-1973-Ford.html,

Not sure if that will work, or just get the one for the original and learn some bending and flaring skills. Still looking at options.
I just went through my fuel system last year and changed all the hoses from tank to engine to ethanol resistant. The ethanol ate the rubber diaphragm up in the fuel pump and filled the crankcase with gas. Had to drain new oil out to get rid of it. When I put new fuel pump on I could not get the car to run unless I squirted gas in car. Turned out the NEW fuel pump was bad out of the box. I took vacuum pump with me to get the next one and tested at parts house before leaving.

D

Dropped the transmission. Pulled the smoked POS clutch and flywheel. Prepped the new Ford Billet Steel flywheel and Ram clutch for install. Got tired since I’m fighting a sinus infection in the middle of summer (wtf). Should have it all back together on Sunday, got honey do list tomorrow. :(
I use to have sinus infections forever. Had surgery in the 80's and they drilled out all the bone from several broke noses and cleaned me out was good to go until I live in China for a year came home and sinus surgery again. This time they did not have to drill hole in my head but I have very little smell or taste now. Go get the roto rooter clean out, lol.

Last evening, empty the Toploader , removed the  H-pipe  and tubes, drive shaft out.

Next will be to remove  the counter cable,  unplug  connector (reverse gear), then will be reday to pull out the Toploader for a complete check.

Can I ask what rear end is in the car not 8" or 9" for sure. Looks like a spicer style not a Ford??

I got my rebuilt engine started yesterday and heard my car running for the first time in 28 years, it was a real good day but I am now half deaf listening to it running on open headers.

Not exactly related to working in my car, but related to a 7173 Mustang. This weekend I was at the EAA Air Show in Oshkosh and stopped by the Ford booth. Inside I see a 73 Mustang model. It happens that they were going to give it away to whoever answers one of the trivia question. Once the presentation started, the first question was about what engine the Ford GT has. Well, as you can tell I got it. Looks pretty cool!

Hi

I have never posted to this "forum page", as maintaining a car collections involves DAILY repair/attention and work! (don't need to blog that)

BUT today, I did the job everyone dreads! I am 60 years old, my body doesn't bend like it did 40 years ago. I have the bruises on my back and arms to prove it. It took me HOURS to complete it, it's not done as when I got the BOLT through the shaft I put the nut on and got a drink!!

Let's see if someone can guess "what was wrong" that I had to jam the clutch to the floor, remove the clutch rod and brake rod? I'm home now, but discussing my save someone else MY MISTAKE! WHAT was it?

Mark

Got the Torque converter back from Spec Rite this morning, it now has a pretty blue paint job and bolts up!

Since things went smooth I got a little carried away and dropped the whole mess in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots done this weekend.

1. Wired up the new fuel sender unit , since I have an aftermarket wiring harness, this did not have any plugs on it.

2. Doing a clean bay install so ran the power cables and starter wires along the inner fender and put a grommet to the battery

3. Fitted the front windows and adjusted them till I was happy with the fit , this is a very painful and long procedue

4. Fitted the rear quarter window on the one side (RHS) , then did the adjustment on there to make sure it all lines up and does not leak.

Back