What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car is missing glass and a lot of other heavy items.  Once I get it together and have the weight distribution back to normal l’ll measure & shim.  I just can’t wait for it to run!
I understand the feeling. I am almost there as well with my project. I am hoping to have it out for a test drive next week.

Cleaned the ever-livin' sh.. out of it today.  My favorite annual car show is tomorrow (sponsored by the Air Force base) - plus, my pal Dave came to visit from Phoenix with his spankin' new '18 5.0 GT.  We're going to park 'em next to each other and sit around swappin' stories with a bunch of other cool car guys and some old military friends.  Can't wait!

Pics to follow.

OK - couple of highlights, and a link to the FB album:

Here's the Mustang:

attachment.php

And a shot of the engine:

attachment.php

A couple with Tom Smith from Misfit Garage (he's actually quite the character - cool guy):

attachment.php

attachment.php

My pal Gonzo with his awesome '70 Camaro:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And my buddy Dave, in from Phoenix with his bad ass 2018 Mustang GT:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The link to my FB album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2188874031123503&type=1&l=cf90e3cdc2

Adjusted rockers and primed the engine with an electric drill, all lifters pumped up. Almost ready to turn the key but before I can do that I need a new coil. My buddies think I should start her up and break in the cam with just the headers but I'm leaning more towards getting the exhaust installed first so my neighbors don't fall off their rocking chairs! Also I would be able to hear any unusual noises much better. What do you guys think?

Tried to start her today but nothing! Turned the key had ALT and BRAKES come on turned key to start but no cranking. Put my foot on the brake pedal turned the key to ignition and I hear one of the relays ping. Moved the shifter through all positions and while in neutral and try to start I hear clicking from the starter solenoid. Back in park and try to start, all of a sudden no ALT or BRAKES light. Checked fuses, no power to any of them. Checked battery and no Volts, 0.00Volts/ Do you guys think something fried my battery (Autolite repro AGM battery)?  :mad:

Was the battery hooked up for a period of time? If so it may have been discharged by something in the system drawing power and just need to be charged. (you will need to find what the draw was and just a suggestion I always disconnect my battery when my car sits for safety reasons) If you have a decent battery charger that has AGM settings you should be able to charge it. If you have an old school battery charger it will likely not charge being so dead. There are ways to trick the charger into charging but I am going to leave that up to you to google as there are safety concerns anytime you trick safety features on something.

73pony, Brand new battery installed in the car 2 weeks ago showed 12.5 V but battery cables weren't hooked up since I got the battery. I don't know with these repro batteries, the first one I received had 2 cracks on top of the case. Perhaps this one has issues too since it crapped out so suddenly.  I also purchased a Schumacher charger to charge all kinds of batteries. But going from 12.5 Volts to nothing seems kind of odd! My excitement turned into total disappointment. But I will follow your advice and hook up this charger and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, took off to WPE exhaust shop in San Angelo to get the O2 sensor bung welded in... and left the one with the E-Street kit on my phone charging stand (where I put my keys and whatnot at the end of the).  Fortunately, an O2 sensor bung is an O2 sensor bung is an O2 sensor bung... the shop had some to spare, so all is good.  Only charged me $50 to install the bung, weld up 6 U-clamp'd joints, and add some permanent hangers out back.

It was really humid yesterday (today as well - "swampy" as my pal from Phoenix mentioned), so I'll probably hold off on installing the E-Street until the weekend or sometime soon after the temps drop a bit more.  Dave's taking off tomorrow morning to head back, so we're just gonna chill and enjoy the rest of the day BSing and whatnot.

Contacted Virginia Classic Mustang about my battery...turned out other people are having problems with the repro Autolite AGM batteries not holding a charge and or dying. I thought it was just my bad luck. So hopefully they will exchange the battery and for good give me a functioning unit!

Turned out I'm not the only one with this kind of battery crapping out and not holding a charge. Spoke with sales person and she'll call the supplier to see what is going on! This is the second unit they sent me, ridiculous!

IMHO AGM batteries have two places they belong.

1) Trophy trucks.

2) Destruction derby cars.

It really is hard to beat the reliability, longevity, and resilience of a plain old quality flooded cell battery.

Thanks!

I totally get why there isn’t anyone making a 71-73 one piece brace. Most of the time I spent building mine was put into the cowl bracket. That goofy compound angle plus trying to make it look good took a bit of effort. I won’t be making any for sale, if I had a real press brake I’d consider it but with my makeshift press brake it just takes too much time and isn’t easily repeatable. You can buy the shock tower brackets from Mike Maier and craft up your own.

Back