What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all but the last of the repairs made to the 'new' front clip, and applied the first coat of Rust Bullet Black Shell. It's freaken AWESOME!! Thanks Scott!

Still gotta touch up some spots I missed, and run the sponge through the frame rails. Scott gave me some much-needed and appreciated advice on how to proceed next (thank you, thank you, thank you!). I'm thinking I'll finally be cutting the front end off the car sometime next weekend. Can't wait!
You got it my man !::goodjob:: Nice to see that some others don't have to learn the hard way like i did by using products that just don't work..Your repair is going to last a darn long time because your taking the time to do it right .. using the best products money can buy & the proper repair techniques..Glad I could steer you in the right direction & glad you listened ! This isn't my first rodeo as you can tell:cool:

Don't forget to sponge inside the front & center crossmember (you can tape a piece of sponge to a stick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished up with the Rust Bullet today. Touched up some spots I missed while it was on its nose, then painted up the radiator support as well.

230330_221544034523189_100000027814872_903962_5218917_n.jpg

225678_221544051189854_100000027814872_903963_5596631_n.jpg

Next up - hack off the original clip and swap this one in. Gonna try and tackle that starting this coming Thursday.
Nice job Eric.

On another website I frequent this is by far the most popular thread there. I thought I would try it here.

Now guys we're not talking the daily driver or momma's car. Let's keep this specifically devoted to posts on our 71-73 Mustangs. Like usual no flaming, constructive opinions and commments please.

On another website I frequent this is by far the most popular thread there. I thought I would try it here.

Now guys we're not talking the daily driver or momma's car. Let's keep this specifically devoted to posts on our 71-73 Mustangs. Like usual no flaming, constructive opinions and commments please.
I'll get it started... Today NOTHING, Yesterday I drove it to work and cleaned up the charcoal cannister for repaint and reinstall. I took it off earlier this summer and have terrible fuel smells coming from the car. OOPS :D
Well, I finally got the motor out of the car this past weekend!

Here are a few pics.

2011-05-14 11 51 24.jpg

2011-05-14 11 51 33.jpg

2011-05-14 13 03 07.jpg

Got all but the last of the repairs made to the 'new' front clip, and applied the first coat of Rust Bullet Black Shell. It's freaken AWESOME!! Thanks Scott!

Still gotta touch up some spots I missed, and run the sponge through the frame rails. Scott gave me some much-needed and appreciated advice on how to proceed next (thank you, thank you, thank you!). I'm thinking I'll finally be cutting the front end off the car sometime next weekend. Can't wait!
You got it my man !::goodjob:: Nice to see that some others don't have to learn the hard way like i did by using products that just don't work..Your repair is going to last a darn long time because your taking the time to do it right .. using the best products money can buy & the proper repair techniques..Glad I could steer you in the right direction & glad you listened ! This isn't my first rodeo as you can tell:cool:

Don't forget to sponge inside the front & center crossmember (you can tape a piece of sponge to a stick)
I ran the sponge into the frame rails while it was on its nose. I still need to remove the strut rod bushings (as you can see in the last pic) and blow out the leftover sand and rocks. My knees were screaming at me after I got the clip back on the dolly and the radiator support painted. Once I get those last things done, I'll definitely run the sponge through those areas as well. It's an awesome technique, and feels quite weird handling the sponge with RB in it thru latex gloves... but definitely worth it.

Guys - I know it goes without saying, but Scott's right: the Rust Bullet is excellent stuff to work with, even though it's a tad pricey - it will pay mad dividends by preventing what I'm having to do (replacing the whole front end because of rust damage). His advice has been huge for me so far. I can't wait to get this part done and move on to some of the other things for which he and so many others have generously shared knowledge and experience.

This site and everybody here has been a God-send. Thanks again for having me.

18" BC's off tot he powder coater yesterday. Installed JBA headers, cat4ward, with magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers, end pipes. WOW!!! loving this upgrade!

until we can swing the brake upgrades, going to paint calipers and drums in preparation for the new wheels. This is really coming together. I am suprised at how much we are into this car though and havent even started making it look pretty yet. lol

Finished up with the Rust Bullet today. Touched up some spots I missed while it was on its nose, then painted up the radiator support as well.

230330_221544034523189_100000027814872_903962_5218917_n.jpg

225678_221544051189854_100000027814872_903963_5596631_n.jpg

Next up - hack off the original clip and swap this one in. Gonna try and tackle that starting this coming Thursday.
Wow! I thought I was the only one nuts enough do do a clip this way! Got the used clip dressed, still have some drilling to do on the car.Mach.Clip.JPGMach.wclip.JPG

Wow! I thought I was the only one nuts enough do do a clip this way! Got the used clip dressed, still have some drilling to do on the car.
I guess this is one of those cases of "Great Minds Think Alike." You should see all of the Rusty Wallace gear I have collected around my computer. Geez, one of my computers actually IS a Rusty Wallace car. LOL!!!

http://www.wcc.net/~mr4x4/buildingrusty.htm

Speaking of - I'm heading out to chop off the front 40% of the Rustang. Wish me luck as whatever happens will either save a classic Mustang, or send it to the salvage yard. (-- shivers and shudders with a nervous laugh --)

Wow! I thought I was the only one nuts enough do do a clip this way! Got the used clip dressed, still have some drilling to do on the car.
I guess this is one of those cases of "Great Minds Think Alike." You should see all of the Rusty Wallace gear I have collected around my computer. Geez, one of my computers actually IS a Rusty Wallace car. LOL!!!

http://www.wcc.net/~mr4x4/buildingrusty.htm

Speaking of - I'm heading out to chop off the front 40% of the Rustang. Wish me luck as whatever happens will either save a classic Mustang, or send it to the salvage yard. (-- shivers and shudders with a nervous laugh --)
That computer is amazing. Good luck, on the car, I'm doing the same thing. but first, I'm off to buy more Blair cutter bits, and scotch-brite wheels!

I'll get it started... Today NOTHING, Yesterday I drove it to work and cleaned up the charcoal cannister for repaint and reinstall. I took it off earlier this summer and have terrible fuel smells coming from the car. OOPS :D

just pulled off one of the heads today.

Looks like some bad news :(

see the pics...let me know what you think. Is it worth rebuilding or not!! I need to know some expert advise before I take the motor to the machine shop and those dudes lie to me...saying "oh yeah...we can fix it"

The cylinder wall doesn't look/feel to bad...looks like it will definitely need to be bored out.

2011-05-19_18.43.32.jpg

2011-05-19_18.44.39.jpg

What's your concern? What did the engine run like before you took it apart? I don't really see any issues from the pictures. Maybe a little detonation on the piston, or possibly some hard carbon deposits broke loose. But you would replace those anyway. The marks in the combustion chamber and the piston look like they happened a long time ago. The coolant present in the water jackets would indicate no block damage. Bore it .030 over, a fresh set of pistons, rings, bearings, surface the heads, a valve job, a cam and lifters, and call it good!

Took the instrument cluster out of the car today, When I changed over to the LED dash lights my fuel gauge light stopped working altogether...I also had noticed that my gauges weren't reading correctly so I fixed the dash light and changed the instrument cluster VR....everything works fine!

Today I swapped the 18 inch rims for the 15inch Torq Thrusts, as the car needs to go through inspection next week in order to renew the registration. I need to have the same sizes on all 4 wheels for that, as it is not allowed here to have bigger tires in the rear than up front, unless the car came that way from the factory, like Corvettes or Porsches etc.

It´not bad to see the car with classic sized rims and white letter tires again for a change.

IMG_0620.JPG

As usual, I was supervised by my cat Shelby:

:dodgy:

IMG_0621.JPG

Mike - that is one sweet car. It looks great no matter what wheels are on it.

What did I do today? Oh, nothing special... just cut the whole front clip off of mine.

227010_222827747728151_100000027814872_912546_3939666_n.jpg

248030_222827767728149_100000027814872_912547_3796673_n.jpg

No turning back now (especially since it'll be Hell getting it off the lift without front wheels - LMAO!!)

Mike - that is one sweet car. It looks great no matter what wheels are on it.

What did I do today? Oh, nothing special... just cut the whole front clip off of mine.

227010_222827747728151_100000027814872_912546_3939666_n.jpg

248030_222827767728149_100000027814872_912547_3796673_n.jpg

No turning back now (especially since it'll be Hell getting it off the lift without front wheels - LMAO!!)
Wow good job Eric!

Nice garage you're working out of also.

Back