What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used an old door switch to give me a glovebox light. Bill made the holder and I wired it up. I think we found the proper place for the electric fuel pump. Found 2-5/16 tapped holes on the rear left frame rail just in front of the tank and above the sway bar holes(no idea what they used to be for). We'll start making that bracket today. Then reroute the line.

Got my new u-joints in ,driveshaft in,brought it out of the garage for the first time this year,then drove up to the store for some fresh gas.God I missed that car,nothing like driving a 40 year old mustang!dancebanana

while hunting down a miss in engine for the last 2 weeks, I discovered the distributor with the pertronix didn't like the intake manifold vacuum port and wants the one off carb.... solved problem. decided to tune carb, set parking brake, put in drive....got out and adjusted curb idle (mistake one) forgot to chalk front wheel (mistake two) "Christine" decided to take off into the garage on her own. mistake three was deciding to work on car in first place let alone in drive.... I know I should be beaten and given concrete shoes in ocean.... funny thing was watching her go by me pinning me into the door opening and spitting me out... it was like watching my daughter ride her bike the first time with out training wheels.....
I feel your pain. Glad to here your OK.

Spent most of the day sanding the trunk floor. I must say that gray splatter paint is not coming off to easy.:-/

Last edited by a moderator:
my club had it's annual picnic today...bout 40 cars showed up. As well as mine and another member's 72 sportroof.

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

I reinstalled the repaired clutch bellcrank, made a slight modification to the tailpipes, seam sealed the patches and shot the rear wheelwells with undercoating. I took it for a first ride with the subframe connectors... WOW what a difference!!!!! :D The car feels tighter and more solid.

Well today my 73 saw a gas station for the first time in at least 8 years. That's right, I finally took her out on the highway and out of the neighborhood. I put about half a tank of 93 in her and drove back. I had so much fun I thought I would push my luck and take her for about a 15 mile trip to my grandparents house and she drove straight as an arrow! Did not get a single hickup after tuning the engine per 73hcodes's advice (major props to him, he really knows his stuff) the car accelerates so smooth but she is begging for a 5 speed instead of 3 haha. I'm just so excited that in 11months I started with a car that seemed to have no hope and now she's cruising down the road with all the rest! It was a good feeling to actually be able to take her out whenever I need to now, I really stretched her legs today. Well they are calling for some rain for the next 4 days so its going to stay put up until next weekend. Very exciting day indeed.

Since we grenaded the old Mallory YC, we installed a new electronic unit. Then we discovered that, despite what we thought was a thorough flushing - the gas tank is still full of crap and varnish, which was causing all kinds of engine issues. So, we're getting a new tank kit this week. So still no significant road time. Sigh.

Outstanding work, fellas! ::thumb::

I came up a little short this weekend. I finished re-plumbing the fuel pump (with a 90 degree elbow), and rehabbed the tail section wiring harness... then run it back to its original location. The fuel pump's power lead is also run through the old wiring harness's new loom... but stops short of being wired up to a keyed "Engine On" power source.

Yesterday afternoon, I just didn't have it in me to trace out the dashboard wiring harness and diagrams trying to find an appropriate power lead to tap for the fuel pump. Since I'd bought plenty of 1157s, I changed out all the signal/brake light bulbs, and now I have flashing lights in all four corners. Brake lights aren't coming on, and the signal lights aren't working... but the Hazard switch is working without fail - even with a 43-yr-old flasher.

Still haven't heard it run yet... hopefully I'll get a little closer to that this coming weekend.

I took a 2hr ride to met up with (Blueoval71) at his shop and we did some parts trading. I brought up a windshield for his Coupe and he sent me home with traction bars sub frame connectors and H/D shackles for my Mach 1. He showed me his Coupe project which is coming along nicely.We had a good afternoon talking Mustang.:cool:

tail panel 010.jpg

First post ever, love the site. Anyway, this past weekend I changed speedo cable and installed lokar kickdown kit while I had the car up. Today my son and I took car out, went in search of some type f auto trans fluid, took it down the interstate to see if kickdown made difference (love the on ramps). Then to McDonald's for some food for him. Major burnout on the way home, this car will absolutely melt tires/get sideways.

while hunting down a miss in engine for the last 2 weeks, I discovered the distributor with the pertronix didn't like the intake manifold vacuum port and wants the one off carb.... solved problem. decided to tune carb, set parking brake, put in drive....got out and adjusted curb idle (mistake one) forgot to chalk front wheel (mistake two) "Christine" decided to take off into the garage on her own. mistake three was deciding to work on car in first place let alone in drive.... I know I should be beaten and given concrete shoes in ocean.... funny thing was watching her go by me pinning me into the door opening and spitting me out... it was like watching my daughter ride her bike the first time with out training wheels.....
For what it is worth you probably saved my sorry butt, my 68 Torino Fastback and my shop. I was setting the carbs and base timing with a vacuum gauge and I set the parking brake and but a small block under the wheels like I always do but I remembered this post. So I pulled the Kabota around and chained it to the rear axle. I have never done that before.

I loosened the dist bolt just a little but when I went to turn the dist it snapped and move a whole bunch - the idle went way up and the rear wheels started spinning. It jumped up on the blocks but the chain and the tractor stopped it.

It sat their pulling against the chain and smoking the tires until I shut it off. I have decided not to think about how bad it would have been.

So...... a true and heart felt thank you for your post.

Paul of Mo

First post ever, love the site. Anyway, this past weekend I changed speedo cable and installed lokar kickdown kit while I had the car up. Today my son and I took car out, went in search of some type f auto trans fluid, took it down the interstate to see if kickdown made difference (love the on ramps). Then to McDonald's for some food for him. Major burnout on the way home, this car will absolutely melt tires/get sideways.
::welcome:: Welcome to the site. Please post an introduction thread and show us some pictures of your car!

Finally had a chance to get my wheels mounted on the car.

check my thread for additional photo's

CAM00252.jpg

Finished up the rear on the car. Stripped the dash to clean and paint, Then, made up the bracket for the electric fuel pump. I like this plasma cutter.

DSCN2510.JPGDSCN2513.JPGDSCN2509.JPG

Cleaned and primered the dash today. Got the back side painted but am waiting on the SEM charchol black metallic for the front. Then found a home and mounted the electric fuel pump and am working on re-routing the lines.

DSCN2515.JPGDSCN2517.JPGDSCN2518.JPGDSCN2519.JPG

My parents have a couple from the UK that my parents have known for years staying with them for a few days, and we thought we'd get the mach out and take the guy for a ride in an american muscle car and go get a burger at one of my favorite local burger places (the whole american experience I guess,lol)

So that's what we did....car drove fine and everything went good. Though we had to stop at albertsons and get some mothers day stuff before we forgot but that was fine too.

Really the only problem today was this impatient douche in a white honda accord trying to hustle us/get in front of us as we were leaving the shopping center, where he basically tried to roll through a four way stop in the middle of the shopping center, even though it was our turn to go, and then honked at us when I stopped at the red light on the main intersection before turning right (even though that's what you're supposed to do).

(I'm pretty sure my dad who was riding shotgun flipped him for that,lol)

Of course he tore past and got in front of us first chance he got but we went right at the next intersection (which was also red) so he just came off looking like you're typical honda mom-mobile driving douchebag.

But really other than that, it was a good day, and it was cool to take my dad's friend out in car he'd never been in before....I think he really enjoyed it.[/i]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back