What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This evening we suffered a setback. I mentioned putting in the Pertronix ignitor in the Mallory YC and it not running right (as right as the points). Backfiring, strange timing, etc. Well after checking for exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks, etc, went back to the points setup. No joy. Same thing. Pulled the dizzy and broke it down and guess what? The entire advance mechanism had grenaded. Looks like a screw backed out or something and it just disintegrated from there. Crap. I liked that dizzy. Just the look. They're impossible to find and aren't cheap if you do. Plus that ignitor II kit I bought will only work in that diz. Damn, damn, damn. Ordering a pertronix flamethrower diz tomorrow.

On the bright side. I got the grille out (it was broken up pretty good) and the NOS replacement grille back in along with a NOS marker light to replace the one that had it's bezel go missing. Mounted an H4 halogen headlight, but the chrome retaining ring for the other split at the spot weld, so that's made it to the 'to fix' list.

Two steps forward, one back.

Thanks to Jbojo I found the hole for the emergency brake and cut it out with a Dremel. Looking at that sharp edge, decided to use the old shock cover to make a gromlet for it. Worked out pretty well. Then pulled the dash out of storage and started cleaning it up. This could take a while. :dodgy: But was psyched to find out I have an A/C harness in a non A/C car. Must be because it was ordered for Michigan. :D

DSCN2496.JPGDSCN2497.JPGDSCN2498.JPGDSCN2499.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
While heading back to work from a nice leisurely drive by the river, I pulled up to a stoplight and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor! It turns out the equalizer bar I built failed. I did not like the way it turned out when it was built but it worked for a year. It looks like it'll need a redesign on the replacement. Oh well that's hot rodding! :D

While heading back to work from a nice leisurely drive by the river, I pulled up to a stoplight and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor! It turns out the equalizer bar I built failed. I did not like the way it turned out when it was built but it worked for a year. It looks like it'll need a redesign on the replacement. Oh well that's hot rodding! :D
What Jeff isn't saying is that he was sitting at that light trying to impress the car load of hotties that were stopped next to him.....lollerz

What Jeff isn't saying is that he was sitting at that light trying to impress the car load of hotties that were stopped next to him.....lollerz
And, with testosterone flowing on high, when he went to light up the tires, he stomped on the e-brake instead of the clutch and rammed that sucker into first so hard the clutch plate disintegrated. rofl

I pulled the broken clutch bell crank from the Mustang and started fabrication on the new one. Worked on a patch for a small hole in the passenger side rear wheelwell. Prepping the metal for the subframe connectors. Assembled a list of things to do while I hog the whole garage for a while. :D

As for the hotties... what would they want with an old fat guy driving a car way older than they are! LOL

As for the hotties... what would they want with an old fat guy driving a car way older than they are! LOL
LOL Sorry to break it to you Jeff, I didn't say THEY wanted YOU....lol.....I said YOU were trying to impress them!! We old guys tend to think we're pretty impressive when we are in our 40 yr old cars with the top down!

Notice I said we!! Not that I would ever....ah heck who am I trying to fool!

lollerz

Finished the harness inpection and repair and then installed the pedals, vacuum booster and master cylinder. Then spent about an hour and a half gravity bleeding the new brake system.

DSCN2505.JPGDSCN2503.JPGDSCN2504.JPGDSCN2502.JPG

while hunting down a miss in engine for the last 2 weeks, I discovered the distributor with the pertronix didn't like the intake manifold vacuum port and wants the one off carb.... solved problem. decided to tune carb, set parking brake, put in drive....got out and adjusted curb idle (mistake one) forgot to chalk front wheel (mistake two) "Christine" decided to take off into the garage on her own. mistake three was deciding to work on car in first place let alone in drive.... I know I should be beaten and given concrete shoes in ocean.... funny thing was watching her go by me pinning me into the door opening and spitting me out... it was like watching my daughter ride her bike the first time with out training wheels.....

001.JPG

Whoa, Im glad no one was hurt, I have been shoved through a garage door at 20 mph with me between a buick and glass pane shop door. I am very skiddish about standing in front of running cars ever since.

Whoa, Im glad no one was hurt, I have been shoved through a garage door at 20 mph with me between a buick and glass pane shop door. I am very skiddish about standing in front of running cars ever since.
thanks bro. yea Iam so glad I was on the side under hood, I tried to grab coil wire but grabbed the emissions pvc hose as I was being pinned between side of rear wheel housing and the house then she spit me out as she hit washer, cabinet and hot water heater....I did manage to get to ignition and switch her off before she walked over to the right wall in garage, she was spinning rear wheels and walking. iam sooooooo glad the hood fell down before going through, it would have grabbed the door entrance and flipped backwards onto the roof of car.... ugh. what a stupid moronic thing....but it could have been worse...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I managed to combine the AOD's reverse lights/neutral safety switch harness with the same from the Mustang. I decided to make it a permanent deal and splice/solder/'shrink the connections. Turned out pretty good, and it's all plugged back in - just like it belongs there.

Preparing to splice:

AODharness1.jpg

Soldered and 'shrunk:

246632_602537219757200_2008531285_n.jpg

Here's the new 'hybrid' AOD/Mach 1 reverse light/neutral safety switch harness:

163582_602537226423866_464342489_n.jpg

Tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to get the fuel pump wiring/plumbing sorted out for good, wire up the 'red' Duraspark power lead, and maybe... just maybe... turn the key and post a video tomorrow night. Everything else needed to do so is pretty much done now. We'll see... stuff always happens.

talon thanks bro, car needs to be repainted and quarters repaired, washer has been replaced at 655$ didn't make a claim on homeowners had a 1000 deductible. dryer and hot water tank were ok. I thought about all the ways to be maimed or crushed lastnite and glad I got away with only a bruised hip and razzing from everyone who came by the house.. my said its only a car....but she is right. it can be repaired. I guess iam never finished with it lol!

Fixed the clutch linkage (temporarily), Installed my subframe connectors and patched a small hole in the DS rear wheelwell, not a bad days work. I made one heck of a mess wire wheeling the undercoating off where the connectors weld to.

Well... I came up a little short today. Auto Hobby Shop was slammed, but I did manage to get the fuel system plumbing over and done with (swapped in a 90-degree elbow, to re-route the fuel line out of [potential] harm's way).

I also rehabbed the tail-section wiring harness (tested, repaired a couple bad spots, and re-insulated & loomed) and found keyed power for the Duraspark module's red power lead.

Tomorrow (after a playing a brass band gig for a church fundraiser), I should be able to run the power for the fuel pump as I install the tail section wiring harness. If I have enough time, maybe even fire it up. Otherwise... might hafta wait til next weekend :s

I painted my front valance,grille,and front end caps. Also painted the tail light panel, and rear bumper black to match the grille. Tomorrow the plan is to properly tune the engine. I have timing light, vacuum gauges all read to go. Hoping for the best.

Back