What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday Bill came over and got on me about the differential Roy gave me that has been sitting on the DS floor instead of the rear housing mumbling something about cruising and Hooters :p (actually I think he wants this thing done as bad as I do). So he set the chuck for me and we torqued it down.

DSCN2481.JPGDSCN2482.JPG

Today I figured a one armed man can get started on the wiring harness. I used small zip ties to mark the harness clips and their direction because I'm replacing over half that are broken. So far so good.

DSCN2485.JPGDSCN2483.JPG

hi

this is not the day's work, but that of the weekend

ex-owner had cut the roof for install a sunroof

so I repaired the infamous shit

this is a really boring work, we must go slowly, do not deform the metal, and I had to make a new roof support

before, sunroof removed

after , new roof welded

thanks

yes, it also adds rigidity to the panel, I will use the dyna-mat adessive

Last edited by a moderator:
I met my buddy at his shop and replaced my front rotors and pads, and rebuilt the calipers. We also got the emergency break working again thanks to some parts from Don at OMS.

And, we stopped the ATF leak with the simple tightening of a fitting.

All in all, a good day.

Saturday evening, I installed the hood plenum of an aftermarket Ram Air Kit, and replaced the passenger side seat tracks with adjustable ones, also from Don. Someone had tack welded the old ones... Stupid a-hole.

Hi guys,

Thought would share my weekend accomplishments....see before/after pics.

Can't tell you how excited I was to find out that I had a matching numbers car. When I bought the car it looked all original and pretty much untouched to me. When I got home and started looking around, I discovered that the exhaust manifolds were from a 70 and my car is a 73 so assumed that a short/long block may have been substituted at some point.

Well today when I got the motor and trans out, the correct VIN's are there in both! So I now have a numbers matching car sold to Ford Marketing.

Jeff

Must have been an overly productive weekend for all! I'll admit I was too wore out last night and knocked off early today to post this up. (Too tired to continue actually) Bill (my new home physical therapy guy)came over yesterday morning and announced we needed to install the rearend into the car. Now this man moved houses in his youth and believe me he knows how to rig. We placed a strap through both springs, lifted the car, removed the rolling stand, lowered the car and slid the rear into place (Actually, he did. I did what I could to help.) wished I'de have taken pictures. Spent the rest of the day replacing the brakes on his truck.

This morning installed the backing plates, axles, and drums and fit the rear sway bar. Oh, I forgot, before Bill showed up yesterday, I did a test fit on the harness. I'll pull it back out and wire loom and heat protect it later this week. Thank you to Bill and Don who called several times checking on progress and reminding me not to over do it. I've always said you can never have too many good friends. Guess I'm a very lucky man.

DSCN2482.JPGDSCN2491.JPGDSCN2490.JPG

marks73...that rear end looks really nice and a great accomplishment for the weekend. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Jeff

Must have been an overly productive weekend for all! I'll admit I was too wore out last night and knocked off early today to post this up. (Too tired to continue actually) Bill (my new home physical therapy guy)came over yesterday morning and announced we needed to install the rearend into the car. Now this man moved houses in his youth and believe me he knows how to rig. We placed a strap through both springs, lifted the car, removed the rolling stand, lowered the car and slid the rear into place (Actually, he did. I did what I could to help.) wished I'de have taken pictures. Spent the rest of the day replacing the brakes on his truck.

This morning installed the backing plates, axles, and drums and fit the rear sway bar. Oh, I forgot, before Bill showed up yesterday, I did a test fit on the harness. I'll pull it back out and wire loom and heat protect it later this week. Thank you to Bill and Don who called several times checking on progress and reminding me not to over do it. I've always said you can never have too many good friends. Guess I'm a very lucky man.

Why thank you! As I said earlier. I only achieved it through the hard work of good friends! (I think Bill is very seriouse about that cruising Hooters thing) :p

marks73...that rear end looks really nice and a great accomplishment for the weekend. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Jeff

had a show near the beach in Coronado,CA

IMG_7020.jpg

didn't win anything but there were a ton of great cars...though on the downside the choke was acting up a bit so not gonna drive it much until we get that fixed

Big weekend. Glass beaded a bunch of stuff. Put the new headers on. Put the Pertronix II in the Mallory (more on that later). Received the ACC Mass Back carpet, a headliner, and the TMI seat cover (just need the passenger lower bucket). The TMI stuff is *first rate* from what I see. Almost indistinguishable from the original OEM for a black/grey Mach 1 deluxe seat over. Really impressed with that.

Ripped the dash apart and installed the LED instrument light package. Set up the repop dash pad. Not happy with that one. From passenger compartment it is fine, but the edge facing the windshield is really not even close to OEM. Really rinky dink. Rewired a bunch of stuff. Ready for the aftermarket stereo.

Owned this car for 40 years and thought I knew everything there was to know. Nope. Found out today that it won't run unless the factory tach is connected. It will start, but as soon as you stop cranking, no spark. Plug in the tach and it runs. Never knew that.

But not running fine. Replaced the guts of the Mallory YC dizzy with a Pertronix Ignitor II electronic module. Not only are the instructions TERRIBLE (not one single illustration), but it doesn't want to run unless we crank in about 50deg of advance. Not sure what's up with that. Probably something we did wrong, but how would you know? Tech support calls no doubt in store.

We're legal, almost. Got the registration handled the other day except the DMV witch would not ok my 71 tags that are in better shape than the 2012 tags on my daily driver. Will be trying another DMV office. Insurance done. Horn (though not the originals that clearly need rebuilding), brakes, lights, etc, are working, so, after a trip to the muffler store, we should be able to even get inspected.

About it. Will be busy the next couple of weeks.

Installed a new insert in my glovebox today. The old one had been torn up by mice. Looks (and smells) a lot better and only cost $12. While I was in there, I fixed the glove box light switch, cleaned up the mounting screws, and dropped in my new owners manual. Here are some before and after photos:

Before:

2dux05.jpg

After:

1izfx5.jpg

It's good to see a few of us were spending some quality time with are stangs.:cool:

Well after a 5 month break from my project:mad: I finely have something to report. It's time to jump on the trunk and tail light panel. 1st there was a dent on the right quarter panel that had to be addressed. At some point the right end cap was pushed in and to the left causing the gap between the trunk lid and the end cap to be tight. So with some help of a (porto power) and some hammer dolly work I got the end cap back were it belongs. This had to be done before the removal of the tail light panel to get everything square. Then it was off with the tail light panel. Know that I can get my fat "A" in the trunk started scraping and sanding down in the trunk drop off's and inner quarters.:D

tail panel 001.jpg

tail panel 004.jpg

tail panel 005.jpg

Well, it was a good weekend. I managed to get the gas pedal back in, and it's really cool - when you push on it, some of the metal thingies on the carburetor flip-flop back and forth. ;)

Also got the steering column back in (for real this time) and plugged into the harness. When I hooked the battery back up, it freaked me right the Hell out when I heard this odd buzzing noise from behind the dash above the glove box... I thought something was arcing out. :s But it turns out that when the door is open, and there's a key in the ignition, there's a buzzer that makes noise. :huh: After 10 minutes of opening and closing the doors, and inserting and removing the key while marvelling at the dome/courtesy lights coming on and going off with the new buzzer sound, I finally declared it 'good to go.' rofl

After that, I took the meter to the starter solenoid and checked for proper operations of the ignition switch (with the starter motor cable disconnected at this point, of course) - so far, so good. So now, I think I'm about 6 wires away from firing it up. Gotta adapter the AOD neutral safety switch and reverse light switch harness to the car's harness, then find keyed power for the Duraspark module and fuel pump. Oh yeah... also gotta run the tail section harness through the back of the car to hook up the fuel sending unit as well.

Soon.... very soon....

Put in my new Pertronix 2 flamethrower billet dizzy & coil.She starts up great and lost that random skip in one cylinder like my engine guy said I would.FYI stay away from the procomp dist. :D

Well!!!! You won't believe this post. Last Christmas I bought my friend Bill a rod bender and 40 feet of 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 rod since he had said how much he missed the one he used at work. Today I tell him I need to go pick up a set of U-bolts for the rear end. Guess what he's got me doing? :s

DSCN2495.JPG

I checked with the place I bought the rod and he said should be good to go. Man my left arm sure is going to have some catching up to do to the right arm! :p The things we do to keep people happy.

Back