What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine for a spin and bought a tree for the garden.

As you can see the family weren't over the moon.

IMG_2047%20copy_zpsw9tv59on.jpg

IMG_20462%20-%20Copy_zpsniw6npdp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got her ready to complete underbody sound deadener application and other fluid applications (ie: rear end gear fluid, grease new suspension parts, etc.).

vert71 garage ready for sound deadener appl.4 (2).jpg

vert71 garage ready for sound deadener appl. (2).jpg

Got her ready to complete underbody sound deadener application and other fluid applications (ie: rear end gear fluid, grease new suspension parts, etc.).
What type of plastic sheet do you have under the car? I need something like this.

1971 M-code Mach 1
It's actually a heavy duty rubber, ribbed throughout so when walk on it, you are actually about 1/2" off the floor. Can easily withstand jack stands on the ribs, they don't give way. I bought this product at Costco, I believe it is 9' wide X 20' long rolls. It was about $200/roll, but is great stuff. I have moved a couple times, just roll it up and take it with me... I bought two rolls for my double garage. No moisture coming up through the concrete with this over top. Easily handles any liquid spills also.

I decided to tackle the paint after washing the car last weekend. I have always been concerned about how rough the surface felt so i clay barred the left from fender, which was the worst of the panels. Then I buffed it by hand to make sure I wasn't going to be taking any paint off and then switch to the random orbital buffer. Wow, what a difference. I have my work cut out for me with the entire car, especially with all of the hand buffing I will need to do around the decals.

I only did from the crease to the hood.

These aren't great pictures but you can see a difference. Plus, is it sooo smooth now.

312tl3s.jpg
[/img]

33fc5ts.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1384 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1387 (Small).JPG

I decided to tackle the paint after washing the car last weekend. I have always been concerned about how rough the surface felt so i clay barred the left from fender, which was the worst of the panels. Then I buffed it by hand to make sure I wasn't going to be taking any paint off and then switch to the random orbital buffer. Wow, what a difference. I have my work cut out for me with the entire car, especially with all of the hand buffing I will need to do around the decals.

I only did from the crease to the hood.

These aren't great pictures but you can see a difference. Plus, is it sooo smooth now.
Looking good.

I'm doing similar with the convertible! The lights make streaks in the pic of the hood. It is faded but I'm working on it! :)

About 85% is original paint.

20160402_140629.jpg

20160402_140603.jpg

Ray

That does look good. I going to have to go a panel or two at a time, and then drive it. I should have done this over the winter but got sidetracked.

I drove mine around a bit. I really had a lot of fun! It's parked at my MIL house and the temps today were in the low 90's. We visited her today to do some computer stuff so I had a chance to fire up the mustang and take it for a spin. How fun!

Finally started working on the 72 after i parked it last year. First off it held a charge without being started for a year so thats cool, put a thermostat in and took it to the side street to open it up. No overheat and found a hidden mechanic shop. He came out to see the noise and we got to talking and he has a 71 mach. Told him about the forum maybe he'll join up.

Started filling some small pits on lower part of dash. Blasted and primed last week with my new sandblaster from Harbor Freight. Works pretty good for the price, need a better hood as I am still getting sand out of my ears. Today's jobs were grinding welds and fitting the torque box's top pieces. They came welded to the new firewall and have to come off for welding to the framerails and rockers. Would have been nice if they came separately. It's now to hot to work in the garage till it gets dark.

:cool:::devil::

On my 73 vert I got the hood back on it has been off for 9 months. Took a while to get hood and fenders adjusted after being off but looks ok. I had to take the flat spring hood springs off and put round ones on you could not close the hood they were so strong. Even with lube and working it up and down without springs they were too strong.

Also got the padding installed under carpet, carpet back in and seat belts back in. Started on the interior trim install. Might get seats back in today.

Garage takes most of my time so slow go.

That is cool. It was the same in all towns no matter what size. Hendersonville, where I live, had a really wide main street with 4 lanes 2 in each direction and then Church street going South one way and King street going North one way. I do not know how many thousand miles I drove until banned by the police, lol. My sister met her husband on Main Street while drag racing and beating his 57 Chevy hardtop with our 57 Ford Fairlane hardtop. His had 283 with 2 - 4 V but could never beat the 312 single 4 Ford red light to red light or top end, lol.

I had side pipes on my 1950 Ford with Smitty glass packs and fire would come out when wide open and rattled the windows of the stores.

Today they stopped cruising it is against the law, sucks. They do have Friday nights during summer where they block off the south end of Main St. and have dancing and you can park you car in the street and meet old friends.

Our cars were made during the high point of cruising and street racing in my opinion.

That's a pretty cool article. Things have really changed though. I remember growing up in the Dubuque Iowa area and we would all go cruise down Kerper Blvd and the Circle. It was a good area for cruising as it was mostly industrial and it was a four lane divided street. The Circle was just down at the end of the street. It was a big circle of pavement with grass in the middle and some picnic tables and a boat launch at the end. I remember going down and cruising in my first mustang with one of my friends almost every weekend. I had an 82 Fox body with a straight six. It was a tired old car and kind of rusty but I sure worked hard to polish up what was left of the black paint. I was up in that area this past weekend and talked some friends into cruising down there on Sat evening. It is pretty rough now as they explained prior to heading down there. A lot of drug deals and such, we didn't stay long.

Back