What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you will break that unit. Looks to be very stout. 4.11 will be fun on the street. I have 3.89 in the Mach and 4.30 in the Cougar, lots of fun. Chuck

Back to sanding on the 72 Q vert. Working on the engine compartment. PO had already painted but needs some more attention.
I had not paid any attention to the hood was packed in corner in a stack of hoods. I had a visitor so got him to help move them around ang got it out. The PO had coated the back of the NASA hood with something, looks like crap. I have found nothing that will take it off. Think it is bed liner. So I will have to prep another hood. Next time to Chem Strip will take it back and get it stripped.

Yummy 😋😃😃 

A 4.11 with 31 spline... Which transmission so you connect with?
Wide ratio toploader 4 speed. 

I don't think you will break that unit. Looks to be very stout. 4.11 will be fun on the street. I have 3.89 in the Mach and 4.30 in the Cougar, lots of fun. Chuck
Seriously doubt I will either. TrueTrac LSD has a great reputation. Have to order axles and eventually the driveshaft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to drop an old set of headers off to the machine shop. The Hookers point inwards, and run into the stand for the dyno absorber. Gave him an ancient set that he can heat up and "adjust" to clear the stand. It should be mounted up on the dyno tomorrow and running by Saturday. 

PXL_20210107_000750892.jpg

Finally decided to tackle my exhaust.  When I  got my car 11 months ago the first thing I noticed that I did not like were the turn down exhaust tips.  Soon after I got the car I brought it to a shop to have some mechanicals done, fender apron under battery replaced, etc.  I also had them paint a rear valance with exhaust cutouts I had picked up, I mounted it when I got the car home.  But for the past 9 months or so I kept looking at those empty exhaust cutouts.  This has been my COVID-19 project and I broke down to sections with the exhaust being one of the last.  Using the Holley 15807 pipes I was able to finesse them (at least the driver side for today) into place.  The 157807 specifically says not for valance with cut outs but after some questions and answers here I was advised you can make them work.  The only thing I really had to do was fabricate my own exhaust hanger at the rear to bring the tip up into the cutout, the stock one would not work.  

new exhaust.jpg

exhaust 014.JPG

exhaust 015.JPG

Adjusted the carb , set timing , and finally got her running where she wont switch off when put into gear. 

Also ordered a 71-72 chrome bumper as I could not find a 73 inner brace 

Got a bunch of the engine externals put back together; fuel line, spark plug wires, heater hoses and valves, alternator/regulator and wiring, engine bay wiring harnesses, etc.  Unfortunately I am heading to warmer climes until April so nothing more is going to happen until then.

Engine Resized.jpg

Paid a visit to the machine shop today, my engine is alive and everything looks good. He ran in the cam and did some break in work to get the rings seated. Readjusted the valvetrain and started with some tuning. We did the first untuned short pull and it came up lean. He's going to jet up the carb and do another couple pulls to see where it likes the timing. We'll then swap to my carb and tune that in, test spacers and go from there. 

View attachment PXL_20210114_230901693.mp4

Got around to putting on my subframe connectors.  Was hoping Santa would do it but I guess I was a bad boy so I had to do it myself.  I know one thing for sure - I HATE welding laying on my back under the car!  In my next life I will have a lift.  :biggrin:    Also welded in wideband o2  sensor bungs in the exhaust.  

20210113_101203.jpg

20210105_115742.jpg

Dry fit before prepping for welding.

Rear Frame.jpg

20210115_152753.jpg

Welded and primed.  Will spray with finish when the weather gets a little warmer.

20210115_152929.jpg

Got around to putting on my subframe connectors.  Was hoping Santa would do it but I guess I was a bad boy so I had to do it myself.  I know one thing for sure - I HATE welding laying on my back under the car!  In my next life I will have a lift.  :biggrin:    Also welded in wideband o2  sensor bungs in the exhaust.  

View attachment 47935

View attachment 47928

Dry fit before prepping for welding.

View attachment 47940

View attachment 47931

Welded and primed.  Will spray with finish when the weather gets a little warmer.

View attachment 47932
Looks great!

Adjusted the carb , set timing , and finally got her running where she wont switch off when put into gear. 

Also ordered a 71-72 chrome bumper as I could not find a 73 inner brace 
If you ordered from CJpony, expect the front bumper bolt eyelets to need a little drilling as well as the rear bumper. I just installed both, the rear is only about 1/8 or so off centered and the front is off right to left as well as as off from front to back. The front passenger side needs to have the bolt eyelets opened up to move the bumper back a little towards the grill. I am still playing with it but looks like I will have to do a little more expanding of the bolt eyelet to make it fit better. I have a 73 by the way. 

Tom

Dag Nab it............ I know that pain. I had 2 back surgerys and they did fix it. They can fix yours as well. Dont fear. Try laying flat on your back like a carpeted floor. That will seperate ( make a gap) the vertebrae and relieve the pinched nerve some.   

You must take it easy until they can reduce the swelling.  If not you will lose the feeling in your foot(as I did) permanently. Feels like your walking on a ping pong ball all the time.

Take it easy!  

Back