What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the quarter window roll-down change today. I got lucky on the drivers side window and it aligned pretty quick, the passenger window took about 20 minutes to get the window alignment correct. Really like this mod, now I just have to drill the window handle holes in my interior quarter panels. 

Tom

I made it back to North Idaho in mid-April after wintering in warmer climes.  I've been stuck with honey-do projects and a number of non-car projects which have kept me from working on the Mustang for the past 6+ weeks.  Finally with my head back above water I can get to what I really want to do!

Yesterday I pulled the gas tank and fuel lines.  The tank was corroded through on top but was not leaking.  I have no idea what the 25+ year old gasoline turned into after sitting for so long, but it was as thick as pancake syrup. 

The body metal above the tank is in surprisingly good shape.  Just very minor surface rust in a few spots.

Photos below:

Gas Tank (4).jpg

Gas Tank (2).jpg

Gas Tank (3).jpg

Gas Tank (1).jpg

Over the past two weeks I have researched and ordered all the parts to redo my suspension and brakes. I'm just going for stock performance.  Rock Auto and NPD have been burning up my credit card.  Since I don't want to tear things down until all my parts are here I have been working on repainting and cleaning up cosmetic stuff.  

Pics below are of my repainted RAM air cleaner and the shock tower braces.  Didn't want to bore everyone with all the other stuff.

I am holding off installing the new gas tank until I replace my rear springs and sway bar rubber. Eaton shipment should arrive Wednesday.

Sure is fun to be working on the old girl again!

20210620_140841.jpg

20210621_103959.jpg

Well it's not my car it's my brother's.  Loaded up my brothers 70 Boss 302 and his Harley Friday evening.  I towed them out to his new house in Prescot Arizona Saturday morning. He threw in the towel on California after 39 years. Just another middle class tax payer leaving C.A . 

IMG_2765.JPG

Fitting the reproduction hood.  Has to fool with the front edge a bit to get the trim to set in there right.  Currently working on the curvature making it match the fenders.  So far so good...

View attachment 52084
Well, that looks pretty good  :thumb:

Did the quarter window roll-down change today. I got lucky on the drivers side window and it aligned pretty quick, the passenger window took about 20 minutes to get the window alignment correct. Really like this mod, now I just have to drill the window handle holes in my interior quarter panels. 

Tom
I will do this mod too in the next months, all parts already there. Have you already drilled the holes and how did you determine the right spot? 

I made it back to North Idaho in mid-April after wintering in warmer climes.  I've been stuck with honey-do projects and a number of non-car projects which have kept me from working on the Mustang for the past 6+ weeks.  Finally with my head back above water I can get to what I really want to do!

Yesterday I pulled the gas tank and fuel lines.  The tank was corroded through on top but was not leaking.  I have no idea what the 25+ year old gasoline turned into after sitting for so long, but it was as thick as pancake syrup. 

The body metal above the tank is in surprisingly good shape.  Just very minor surface rust in a few spots.

Photos below:

View attachment 52299

View attachment 52300

View attachment 52301

View attachment 52302
That was the same on my car to my surprise, too. It was in remarkably good shape! I gave it a little shot semi gloss black again and installed a new gas tank with new hard- and software, ready again for the next 50 years  :thumb:

I will do this mod too in the next months, all parts already there. Have you already drilled the holes and how did you determine the right spot? 
I have not had a chance to drill the holes yet but kinda planned to put paint on the crank gear and put the panel in place to try to get a paint "witness mark". I have an old panel that I can try it out on first, it's in really poor shape so not too concerned with that one if I mess up. It will probably be a couple weeks before I can get to it though, I hurt my back again and am trying to take a little break. Good luck on your install, if I get it figured out before you do, I will try to post some measurements of the hole placement.

Tom

Well it's not my car it's my brother's.  Loaded up my brothers 70 Boss 302 and his Harley Friday evening.  I towed them out to his new house in Prescot Arizona Saturday morning. He threw in the towel on California after 39 years. Just another middle class tax payer leaving C.A . 

View attachment 52572
That is sure a nice looking '70.  I love that color.  If your brother ever decides to sell it please keep me in mind!

He is definitely not the only one fleeing California.  The roads here in North Idaho are teaming with WA, CA and OR plates.  No exaggeration; this summer one car in five is sporting tags from one of those three states.

Second That. Huge explosion of people here in Boise Id (lower part of the State).. .WA, CA and OR plates

Also second that on the 70 boss :) beautiful car indeed.

I spent today doing some more cleaning/painting.  Radiator brackets, hood latch bracket, horns, misc. small stuff.  Cleaned up the front grill turn signal lights per David of Carolina Mountain Mustang's write up a while back.

Finally unpacked and cataloged all the parts I ordered.  Other than a missing box containing the new U-bolts and shackles for the Eaton rear springs (thanks FedEx for routing them incorrectly) everything is here and ready to go.  I'll be starting on the suspension and brakes tomorrow!

20210626_180513.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got mine running again after the rewire and a ton of "while I'm at its". It's still not quite ready for the road but it's getting close. I need to wire in the center gages and Tach and the turn signals don't work... oh... gotta bleed the brakes too. 

My OLD stomping grounds. Graduated from Cedar springs high. Keep plugging at that stang, you'l be burning out soon than later. 

Spent the weekend working in the garage. Lost way too much time finding things that I had put in "safe" places to not lose them. Did manage to get the 351C on the stand and do some parts fit-up to minimize any futzing about when it's sitting in the engine bay. Finished cleaning the majority of the engine bay, seems no matter how much I clean, there's still dirty areas. Going to leave it as is for now, will really detail it over the winter. Focus right now it to get the engine in and running. Touched up some little rust spots and fixed all the wiring to about where it'll end up. Can't find the correct Autolite regulator cover I had, so stuck a Motorcraft on there for now. 

Next step is to finish the reassembly of the toploader and the shifter, then it'll be time to do some subassemblies and drop it in. 

PXL_20210627_224936622.jpg

PXL_20210627_230621782.jpg

Spent the weekend working in the garage. Lost way too much time finding things that I had put in "safe" places to not lose them.
Oh yeah, I know that feeling...  :classic_dry:  Almost every time I go in the garage to reassemble anything with new and old parts together... 

Nice to see you move on, engine bay looks still good  :thumb:

Finished front end suspension work.  All new MOOG stuff including tie rods.  While I had it apart I cut the front springs down to give me a slight drop.  Now that she is down off the lift I can see how she sits with the new rear leaf springs as well.  Brakes next.  

20210702_152223.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drove it about yesterday and today , found my suspension rattle is due to brake pads, calipers . Got home to a hissing sound from the right hand side.....heater core gave up.

Got her back to the shop bypassing the heater core and spent most of the morning lifiting carpets, removing the underlay and soaking coolant up from the carpets. 

Good news it drives. 

Latest posts

Back