What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am confused on this. I just updated to a roller cam and everything says I MUST use a steel gear. When are you supposed to use a bronze gear over a steel?. And as a follow on, I took a magnet to my gear to verify it is steel. Is that ok to use on a new cam?

Kcmash
Yes, you got the correct gear if you have a roller cam, steel is what you should be using. I am not too sure why the bronze gears came into use, instead of steel, but by the mid-80's when I was running a speed shop, they were what you sold with a roller cam. Back then, roller cams were used almost exclusively on full on race cars, and the bronze gear was a part that needed to be changed occasionally as it was considered a wear part. Steel being a harder material would slowly wear the softer bronze gear over time and you needed to check it, and when you saw some wear just replace it. The bronze gear was a sacrificial part. You never used a cast iron gear with a roller cam, it would eat up the gear in no time. At some point in the late 80's early 90's, with the advent of the 5.0 "roller cam" engine, you started seeing manufacturers offer steel gears for use with roller cams. The 5.0 "roller" engine had a steel roller cam and a steel gear in it, that basically lasted for the life of the engine. After that you started seeing cam manufacturers offering steel gears for their roller cams, I think that they took a tip from Ford on that, or maybe from Detroit as a whole as everyone started using roller cams in their V8 engines with steel gears in them. The other issue here is that some manufacturers back then stated making steel roller cams with a cast gear in them so that you could use a standard cast iron gear for street cars, no idea if that is even being made today.

I was back out in the shop this weekend and started upgrade #2. I'm doing a Cobra brake upgrade using the Mustang Steve brackets. I got started on the rear discs first. The drums are off and the brackets and calipers are mocked in place. I have the drum brake spindles, hubs and rear axles in the molasses bath for a de-rust. They should be ready when I'm back from vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_3973.jpg
    IMG_3973.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3972.jpg
    IMG_3972.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 14
Yes, I noticed that. I tried to get a good look at the cam gear and block and everything looked ok. Some marring on the boss but nothing to be concerned about. I made sure that the new gear was spaced right and have checked it several times since I replaced it.
I will also do several checks on the Hyperspark after I install it.
👍

I am confused on this. I just updated to a roller cam and everything says I MUST use a steel gear. When are you supposed to use a bronze gear over a steel?. And as a follow on, I took a magnet to my gear to verify it is steel. Is that ok to use on a new cam?

Billet solid roller=bronze or MELONIZED steel gear
Hydraulic roller and some non Billet steel solid rollers =steel gears. Go to the comp cams web site gear article. It can be a bit confusing.
Chris
PS-ive been running Solid rollers for 25+ years
Need to use what the cam manufacturer calls for. I have a Howard hydraulic roller cam and it calls for a bronze gear.

Well, not installing today per-se BUT, this did arrive today!
After months.... the kit showed up! WOO HOO!

Attachments

• 248285816_335225265000866_239244626019636345_n.jpg
    248285816_335225265000866_239244626019636345_n.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 272478682_4829805803777192_8409656854425430338_n.jpg
    272478682_4829805803777192_8409656854425430338_n.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 8
Got the seat ped out. Hidden spot welds...... I already had the rear pan, but the front has a few holes too. Since CJ is outa stock at the moment for the front, should I just do a one piece ore two? I cleaned up the surface rust under the pedestal, little granular shit left that a bath of phosphoric will take care of. The red stripe is how far up the rear pane comes up, so I have plenty of decent metal to work with. Believe it or not, the toe board and torque box is just surface rust. These pans rusted through due to stock weather strip that stopped worked 30 years ago. I got off easy. I'm fishing for suggestions for those that have been here before. Passenger side rear found Jesus, but not as bad as the driver's pictured. The forward passenger side is just crusty and nothing a flap brush won't take care of. Got my eye on an inexpensive plasma cutter, so I'm not spending 5 years with a cut off wheel in there. My lower back is already mad as hell at me today. Any tips are very appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-4466.JPG
    IMG-4466.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-4467.JPG
    IMG-4467.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-4468.JPG
    IMG-4468.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
I had new axle bearings pressed on with the rear disc brake brackets. Everything is mounted in place and now to connect the brake lines to the flex lines.
BTW, I found a place that makes custom and reproduction obsolete brake hoses in both rubber and braided stainless. VERY nice stuff and they are located within an hour of me.
https://www.brakehosesunlimited.biz/

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Got the seat ped out. Hidden spot welds...... I already had the rear pan, but the front has a few holes too. Since CJ is outa stock at the moment for the front, should I just do a one piece ore two? I cleaned up the surface rust under the pedestal, little granular shit left that a bath of phosphoric will take care of. The red stripe is how far up the rear pane comes up, so I have plenty of decent metal to work with. Believe it or not, the toe board and torque box is just surface rust. These pans rusted through due to stock weather strip that stopped worked 30 years ago. I got off easy. I'm fishing for suggestions for those that have been here before. Passenger side rear found Jesus, but not as bad as the driver's pictured. The forward passenger side is just crusty and nothing a flap brush won't take care of. Got my eye on an inexpensive plasma cutter, so I'm not spending 5 years with a cut off wheel in there. My lower back is already mad as hell at me today. Any tips are very appreciated.
Back brace and some Tylenol. 😁 NPD has some short and full front pans in stock if needed. Looks like your front are ok as you mentioned so I would leave alone unless you like doing the extra work. Hope all goes well replacing the rear.

The blower motor replacement ordeal is over! What a pain. I finally figured out how everything went back together and got the new center console woodgrain bezel installed. It matches the door inserts and goes well with the rest of the black dash. I like it!

Attachments

• 274877063_476534757356782_6331034452541610802_n.jpg
    274877063_476534757356782_6331034452541610802_n.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 274800872_999946694286483_589468585615938333_n.jpg
    274800872_999946694286483_589468585615938333_n.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 11
I made some non-noticeable progress on the brake upgrade. Rear is complete except for the hard brake lines and E-brake cables. On to the front...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one to have non-noticeable progress.

Over the weekend I modified the Cobra caliper brackets from Mustang Steve to fit the cadillac Brembo calipers. I fit everything together to make sure it was good. I then swapped the original disc brake spindles for the drum brake spindles. I got it all mocked up on the car. You can see the cadillac lettering comes right off with some scotchbrite. The last photo is with the wheel installed on the rear. Next steps will be getting replacement flex lines for the front and from the chassis to the rear axle then adapt some hard lines for the rear brakes. After that I'll swap the master cylinder and proportioning valve. Adding a line lock and an adjustable prop valve in the rear line.

Attachments

• IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4042.jpg
    IMG_4042.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Over the weekend I modified the Cobra caliper brackets from Mustang Steve to fit the cadillac Brembo calipers. I fit everything together to make sure it was good. I then swapped the original disc brake spindles for the drum brake spindles. I got it all mocked up on the car. You can see the cadillac lettering comes right off with some scotchbrite. The last photo is with the wheel installed on the rear. Next steps will be getting replacement flex lines for the front and from the chassis to the rear axle then adapt some hard lines for the rear brakes. After that I'll swap the master cylinder and proportioning valve. Adding a line lock and an adjustable prop valve in the rear line.
How well do the wheels clear the bigger brembo calipers vs the cobra calipers?

Back